PDA

View Full Version : Save me to the water!

meet shield
2007-09-07, 09:25 AM
In one of my party, I'm a spellcaster warrior (I'm a combat mage. I'll never be a wizard) and I vote my PC, for do some plot interpretation, to the fire god (I burn an enemies' city). Now, i recive vulnerability to the cold, resistances 10 to the fire, OBLYGATORY energy sostitution (Fire), i can cast ice enchantment and I don't now what else. But the DM tell "believe in me. Your fire enchantement will be powerer then firstly (I can't try they for now).
So, all right. But there is a very big problem.
Here, we are on an Island. And we have to go out, in other island.
The problem is: for me, now, the water is a nightmere.
If I touch it, I have 2d6 to damage. If I have a full immersion on it, I have 20d6 to damage (for round).
Fortunatly, nobody know it, but...now? What can I do?
Exist some enchantement of protect you to the water? or to the liquid on general? And, specially, an enchantement whit this effect of don't have the time in round?
Plese, save me to the water!:smalleek:

Mike_Lemmer
2007-09-07, 09:47 AM
2d6 damage a round from touching water? What? I don't care if you are a fire mage, you gotta drink, too. The cold vulnerability is more than enough to offset whatever bonuses you have right now. And mandatory Fire Substitution can be brutal, especially when you encounter outsiders (or red dragons) immune to it.

I'd argue against the water damage:
1. It completely rules out underwater quests.
2. It lets a PC die from a normal rainstorm. That is Unacceptable.
3. There are plenty of fires that aren't extinguished by water.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-07, 09:49 AM
OK, just a few things.
1st. I fully excuse your poor spelling and grammar since I know English is not your first language.
2. Vulnerability to cold does not equate to vulnerability to water
3. If indeed you are vulnerable to water, you're already dead since you need water to live.

Anyway, Waterwalking will get you off the water. So will a boat.

However, I recommend dying and starting with a character that won't die from the morning dew or a light sprinkling. An excuse not to take a bath does not help your case when interacting with the rest of the group.

InkEyes
2007-09-07, 09:52 AM
Ok... So you're problem is that any contact with water damages you? I certainly hope you're not some living creature that needs to drink water to live. If you want a spell that will help you I'd recommend talking your DM into allowing a modified version of the endure elements spell. Instead of protecting you from heat/cold it allows you to survive contact with water. You could cast overland flight on yourself and fly high above the water and avoid any fights close to it since you might get splashed. Or curl into the fetal position deep inside the ship, and stay there until you hit dry land.

Starbuck_II
2007-09-07, 09:57 AM
In one of my party, I'm a spellcaster warrior (I'm a combat mage. I'll never be a wizard) and I vote my PC, for do some plot interpretation, to the fire god (I burn an enemies' city). Now, i recive vulnerability to the cold, resistances 10 to the fire, OBLYGATORY energy sostitution (Fire), i can cast ice enchantment and I don't now what else. But the DM tell "believe in me. Your fire enchantement will be powerer then firstly (I can't try they for now).
So, all right. But there is a very big problem.
Here, we are on an Island. And we have to go out, in other island.
The problem is: for me, now, the water is a nightmere.
If I touch it, I have 2d6 to damage. If I have a full immersion on it, I have 20d6 to damage (for round).
Fortunatly, nobody know it, but...now? What can I do?
Exist some enchantement of protect you to the water? or to the liquid on general? And, specially, an enchantement whit this effect of don't have the time in round?
Plese, save me to the water!:smalleek:

Wait: so the water is lava? Is he playing the floor is lava?
Only lava deals 20d6 for full immersion.

Cast Resist cold: if water deals cold damage.
At level 7, it blocks 20 cold/rd for 1 hr and 1o minutes.

Casts Endure Elements also works: 24 hours.

meet shield
2007-09-07, 09:58 AM
well, that's not to wrong:
1st: I don't need to drink cause I've got a ring of sustenance.
2nd: if the DM say "rain" I can say "fire shield" and find a shelter.
But my problem becomes when somebody discover it: a few of clerics of 1st level can kill me whit create water... if I don't kill they first. But if I kill the clerics I can't fight with the boss...

Machete
2007-09-07, 10:00 AM
I dunno, a leather body suit and Tenser's Floating Disk over the raft or whatever you are using to get off?

Anything with a Deflection bonus to AC might now deflect water because it harms you, although not enough for you to jump in.

Try everything that might work and a few things that you don't think will work all at once.

OH SNAP! The human body is 80% water.

meet shield
2007-09-07, 10:04 AM
Thanks, Starbuck II. maybe you save me. yes, he interpretate the water like lava for me... but, in effect, if I can't cast "fly" or elemental immunity, I HAVE a cleric of 14th in my party...
Ovviusly, if my DM don't say: there aren't cold damage, there are water damage...:smallfrown:

meet shield
2007-09-07, 10:05 AM
Not my body, now, machete. I have fire for blood...

BCOVertigo
2007-09-07, 10:11 AM
Alright, DM insanity aside....

If you don't have access to Waterwalk, try the Psionic power Body Equilibrium which lets you walk on water, but the best solution I think would be to use a boat. In this case I would still suggest the Body Equilibrium, in case you happen to go overboard.

Also what type of island are we talking about? Is your party alone or are there other people there with you? If so, how many people? We should know what resources you have available because if we suggest something you don't have access to it doesn't really help anyone.

Rad
2007-09-07, 10:13 AM
point out to your DM that treating water as lava in exchange for fire resistance 10 is hardly fair... If he refuses you can always roleplay your character while he realizes that the fire god totally skrewed him and deals with it. You might also want to go to an opposed temple and have them cast an atonement spell to dispel the fire god's "blessing". Or, if you don't want to commit apostasy, you could visit the fire god's clerics for help and ask them to intercede for you to him and have its curse lifted.

A milder compromise could be to rule that water harms you as holy water harms undead; requiring to hit rolls and inflicting much less damage. Even so, you are getting seriously gimped by this whole thing. If you have fire for blood I would at least ask for fire immunity.

Find an agreement on how the Create Water spell can be used offensively against you. The standard for cantrips is to require a ranged attack roll and deal 1d3 or 1d4 damage.

InkEyes
2007-09-07, 10:18 AM
Not my body, now, machete. I have fire for blood...

That seems dangerous. If you have fire for blood you should damage anything that you bleed on, like your clothes, your non-metal armor/weapons, your spell book, and possibly your friends/enemies if there's a spray of blood. Your cleric would also need to be careful of where on your body he touched when healing you.

meet shield
2007-09-07, 10:24 AM
Unfortunatly, I and my party are in a civil war, in a no-budget ambientation. But I have a cleric of 14th level and a lot of wizards, but the wizards are NPC.
And, too, there isn't a temple of the Fire's god, cause the people pray he in another part of the world. I discover of him in a book. I have this power, in effect, cause I promise to the God of I'll kill an enemyes of him and I take the cult of him here.
And, InkEyes, my DM isn't too creazy: I'm not hotter then after: you only can discover the nature of my blood if you hurt me, cause then you don't see blood but flame.

meet shield
2007-09-07, 10:34 AM
Oh, I also forgot the worse part of the thing: I can't drink.
I don't need to drink, of course, but... what about the beer? the wine?
Oh, my little character, the ugly bad black DM killed you...

Citizen Joe
2007-09-07, 10:50 AM
Oh, I also forgot the worse part of the thing: I can't drink.
I don't need to drink, of course, but... what about the beer? the wine?
Oh, my little character, the ugly bad black DM killed you...

Yes, your character needs to die in a way that will ruin most of the DM's plans. Horrible ruling on his part, so you need to pay him back with revenge.

Yeril
2007-09-07, 11:03 AM
1d6 for a MODERATE amount of water, Eg. Create water to the face, Caught in a rainstorm for a period of time. Eg say more than 5 rounds. (1d6/5rounds)

5d6 for Total Emmersion or a LARGE amount of water (Eg. Guyser setting on EDoW)

All damage is non-leathal

Tell him to use that... That way falling in a lake could be Fatal if you don't get out quick enough or don't have anyone to pull you out if you black out.

meet shield
2007-09-07, 11:10 AM
only in my dream...

Ashtar
2007-09-07, 11:36 AM
Well, I suggest stocking up on Dust of Dryness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dustofDryness) if ever you need to dispose of some water.

For underwater adventures, an Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab) would be most useful!

See if the DM will allow Mage Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mageArmor.htm) let you stay dry in the rain. Since it creates a tangible field of force around you. This is something to clear with him first.

Freezing sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freezingSphere.htm) is also nice since water causes you damage, but it seems that you are not so vulnerable to cold. So simply freeze water that bothers you. -- Hadn't seen the bit about cold

Try to research an antiwater shell (like antiplant and antilife shells).

If you are afraid of being attacked by create water spells, use a Globe of invulnerability, lesser (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm) to stop them creating water.

Hopefully this helps!

And if ever all goes to hell, cast a Resilient Sphere (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resilientSphere.htm) around yourself to give you some time to prepare. You can't move, but they can't attack you either.

ocato
2007-09-07, 11:40 AM
It sounds like he turned you into a fire elemental kinda, which is a little odd. The ring of Sustanence is a stroke of luck, but it seems like life is going to suck for this character. I'd probably try to reverse the effect or, DM willing, try to find a prayer or deal with the deity to become something more managable.

goat
2007-09-07, 11:53 AM
You just need to get hot enough that the water flash-boils before it touches you.

meet shield
2007-09-07, 11:59 AM
yes, but how I can do it? Do you have some idea? I need of something of doesn't disapear later one minute, you know.

spotmarkedx
2007-09-07, 12:21 PM
So... if I have this right, you have some benefits and some negatives. The benefits are as such:

Fire resistance 10 (the equivalent of a 2nd level spell cast at a lower level than your character)
Some unnamed bonus that may someday make you better with fire.
To counteract this, we have some penalties

The inability to case any sonic, acid, electricity or cold energy spells (as they are all converted to fire)
The inability to cast cold descripter spells

Cold vulnerability, but not just any cold vulnerability. Super special cold vulnerability that makes it so that you:
Die if you didn't have your ring of sustanance (don't ever lose that)
Die if you ever try to bathe.
Die if a 5-year old child pulls a prank on you and pushes you into water
Die if it rains too heavily
Etc

I'd go with the many that are advocating seeing if you can get rid of the curse. Failing that I don't see much in the way of options.

Fire Shield only halves the damage you take from cold damage, unless you can somehow make reflex saves against the water damage (not typically for environmental effects), in which case you are still taking some damage over time unless you can guarantee that you are making your saves even on the roll of a "1"...

For desparation moments, you may want to invest in the Resiliant Sphere spell to use on yourself(lvl 4). Its only for a minute per level, but it creates a barrier that water would not be able to get through.

Similarly, Rope Trick (L2) and Tiny Hut (L3) would be good spells to have. The rope trick you should be always sleeping in anyway, but this complete BS your DM is pulling makes it even more critical. The Tiny Hut gives you the option of actually doing something to the outside world, as long as you stay within its confines. It is, unfortunately, not movable, and doesn't help you against anyone that has figured out your vulnerability.

Other than that, I suggest watching the Wizard of Oz until you can mimic the Wicked Witch of the West's voice when she is hit with a bucket of water and declares "I'm melting!! Meeeeltiiiinngggg... Ohhhhh, what a world, what a world. Who would have thought that some little girl Dungeon Master like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?"

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-07, 01:24 PM
Wow.
That is one horrible curse. Personally this is what I would do:
1) Pray to the god/goddess of cold/water, if I didn't already know who it is since there is a fire god it is safe to assume there is a water/ice/cold god/goddess.
2) Commit myself to be his/her servant for all eternity in exchange for resurrecting me after the next step.
3) Make a ceremonial suicide in the name of the cold/water god/goddess (I'll who it is by now) by drowning myself in water (freezing water if possible).
4) The ceremonial suicide has created an unbreakable master-servant bond (I basically sold my soul) so the god/goddess would resurrect me and give me a blessing (only benefits, no drawbacks except possibly not being able to cast fire spells) and the fire god's curse would be gone since he no longer has any power over me.
5) Spend the rest of your life opposing the fire god in all I do.

Explain these steps to the DM and he will do one of the following:
1) OK, I'll fix the curse to be a blessing -- you can now keep the whole fire thing going.
2) Screw you, your dead make a new character -- you make a new character and screw up the DM's plan but will not have to mess with the fire god.
3) Fine, your resurrected as a thrall of the cold/water god/goddess...whatever happens with that but it should be better, though if he curses you for that just argue why a god/goddess would curse their pawn.
4) You can't do that because there is no cold/water god/goddess!! (surprise, surprise) You're still "blessed" by the fire god. -- To which you respond that even if the cold/water god/goddess does not exist I still believe he/she exists so I commit suicide, oh look, I need to make a new character!

As you can tell, I don't put up with crap like that.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-09-07, 01:50 PM
If your blood is fire, Fire Resistance 10 wouldn't really help you. If I was DM, I'd give you both Fire *and* Cold immunity in exchange for water weakness/fire spells only. (Fire inside keeps you warm. Fire can't harm you.) In exchange for the "death by water" thing. As being able to be "extinguished" is nasty. (What happens when someone casts "Quench" on you? :smallconfused: )

Tell your DM that the drawbacks are really not worth 10 fire resistance.

tannish2
2007-09-07, 02:08 PM
im sorry, but that just doesnt work, unless the water is cold enough to do damage to regular party members, then your cold vulnerability comes into play. but unless your IMMUNE to fire completely, i wouldnt even think of the water thing, that and the lack of variety in the energy types on your spells. no energy gestalt for you. or killing feind or fire elementals with anythign other than force effects.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-07, 04:36 PM
A mighty fire mage, defeated by a bathtub, or a water balloon? Harsh.

Research a spell to create a hut like Baba Yaga's - a hut with chicken legs so that you can move around while still staying out of the rain.

I honestly don't know of a way to save you from something like water - it's pretty much the most abundant thing there is in the world.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-07, 04:43 PM
You could run away to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Oh, wait, you've only got Fire Resistance 10, so you just get to die slightly more slowly than everyone else.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-07, 04:43 PM
I honestly don't know of a way to save you from something like water - it's pretty much the most abundant thing there is in the world.

Maybe the fire god wants him to fix this problem. It seems like a reasonable conclusion to me from that the OP has told us....

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-07, 05:08 PM
Maybe the fire god wants him to fix this problem. It seems like a reasonable conclusion to me from that the OP has told us....
So, what, give up a career as an adventurer to sit on a beach somewhere and start boiling away the oceans one fire spell at a time?

Irreverent Fool
2007-09-07, 05:19 PM
So, what, give up a career as an adventurer to sit on a beach somewhere and start boiling away the oceans one fire spell at a time?

Nah. Boiling doesn't work. That'd just put it into the atmosphere and make everything humid which would probably cause poor Meet Shield's wizard to suffocate or something.

Now what you need is a few orbs of annihilation. Send them plummeting into the depths of the ocean and in a few years you're going to have some serious environmental destruction. Not to mention you can keep selling beachfront property as the ocean recedes!

AslanCross
2007-09-07, 05:32 PM
It totally doesn't make sense to be this weak against water when a gold dragon, which has the FIRE subtype and is IMMUNE to fire, has WATER breathing. I suggest you ask the DM to fix this, because this is really really stupid--in exchange for 10 fire resistance.

I'm pretty sure no fire god would completely weaken his devotees against his opposed element to the point of being killed in a rainstorm.

I would understand vulnerability to water and cold-based magic, but being killed by mundane water is really lame.

Ask your DM to reconsider.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-07, 05:36 PM
Now what you need is a few orbs of annihilation. Send them plummeting into the depths of the ocean and in a few years you're going to have some serious environmental destruction. Not to mention you can keep selling beachfront property as the ocean recedes!

The trouble is that the Spheres of Annihilation aren't continually surrounded by vacuum effects, implying that, at the very least, air isn't annihilated. I don't believe the rules imply that a Sphere would get a vacuum effect underwater, so water's probably immune as well. I think it only annihilates solid objects (elementals could be considered magically "solidified" for this purpose). Now, the Blackball is pretty close to a Sphere of Annihilation and it can repress its "non-constant vacuum" effect, but it's also a 52-HD Epic monster, so that's out. Your only hope is to repeatedly cast disintigrate until all the world ceases to exist. Actually, it's better to incapacitate a Beholder and geas him to disintigrate the ocean for you. Good luck!

NB You might want to have some contingencies prepared against the Epic Druids, Epic Lawful Guys, Epic Good Guys, Life Gods, Water Gods, Nature Gods, etc that will be opposing you

tannish2
2007-09-07, 06:31 PM
well, from the looks of it he gave you ALL the BAD parts of being a fire elemental (except ressurection difficulty) i say he should TREAT YOU LIKE A FIRE ELEMENTAL, because cold wakness AND damage from water? and if your captured you are SCREWED, alcahol should do fire damage in a 5 foot radius or 15 foot cone double to you (but you should be immune if your ****ing blood is made of fire) because of this you should be immune to critical hits and sneak attacks, and really, the lack of versatility this forces upon you isnt a big enough trade for even that. maybe taking levels in the elemental savant class (complete arcane) would fit well. just up the hit dice and remove lost caster levels for this character if he chooses fire.

daggaz
2007-09-07, 06:41 PM
Heh, I think this character concept is one of the coolest Ive heard about in a long time, just so long as the DM is fair and reasonable about it. Kudos to you and your DM, fun Idea!

Alleine
2007-09-07, 08:58 PM
Well, if you feel like making another deal with the fire god, he just might have some power over Hellfire. A nice substance, but extremely dangerous since it ignores fire resistance and deals constitution damage when used with abilities and such. So, if you could, get your fire blood infused with a tiny amount of hellfire and have the cleric ready to restore your con at any given moment, that is if the Hellfire didn't kill you outright.

The character concept sounds really cool, but the water damage is totally lame. Good luck with convincing your DM to not be a jerk with that.

meet shield
2007-09-08, 06:53 AM
Thanks to everybodt you! My DM also read this forum and all your post, too... Actually, I don't know if he change idea, cause he don't post here yet, and I don't see him. But maybe...
So plese, plese, plese, PLESE, thanks for all, but continue! Continue whit your post and, (maybe,) you'll save my to the water! ( or I'll have some lot of power for compense...)
But thank you very much, boy! And girl too, ovviusly...

Anxe
2007-09-08, 09:30 AM
There's a cantrip (0th level spell) that prevents you from getting wet. Your DM might rule that would protect you. Also a fly spell will prevent you from falling into the water.

meet shield
2007-09-08, 09:59 AM
What's the name of this spell, Anxe?