PDA

View Full Version : So my Paladin ascended to godhood.

Davrix
2018-06-04, 01:37 PM
So this was sort of the end story all along for the character. But thanks to a wish spell and some stupid lucky rolls on my part with a villan characrte it’s happend far sooner then I expected.

On one hand this is an awosome end to the character. On the other I feel like his story ended to soon and I want to find a way to give up god status or I dunno summon a avatar of him with the same character sheet.

I guess I want to know if I am just being to attached to the character and need to let him go or should I work with the dm to continue him in some way?

nickl_2000
2018-06-04, 01:53 PM
Create a Cleric that is a devotee to your Paladin :smalltongue:

Lord Vukodlak
2018-06-04, 01:54 PM
So this was sort of the end story all along for the character. But thanks to a wish spell and some stupid lucky rolls on my part with a villain character it’s happened far sooner then I expected.

On one hand this is an awesome end to the character. On the other I feel like his story ended to soon and I want to find a way to give up god status or I dunno summon a avatar of him with the same character sheet.

I guess I want to know if I am just being to attached to the character and need to let him go or should I work with the dm to continue him in some way?

Play a paladin to your paladin god.

Mercurias
2018-06-04, 02:25 PM
Better, talk to your GM about your next PC being your character’s very first worshiper and try like fun to build up a congregation as you come go!

Play an Order Cleric and be an evangelist!

MagneticKitty
2018-06-04, 03:11 PM
How does the god your paladin Worshipped feel about this? Are they jealous? Do they support you?
I'd say this is very important. If they're jealous maybe they trick you out of your powers and you lose favor with your God and instead find a new one (change subclass to the antipaladin) or play with no spells or smites until you get your power

kraitmarais
2018-06-04, 03:25 PM
How does the god your paladin Worshipped feel about this? Are they jealous? Do they support you?
I'd say this is very important. If they're jealous maybe they trick you out of your powers and you lose favor with your God and instead find a new one (change subclass to the antipaladin) or play with no spells or smites until you get your power

This is a fun idea. Alternatively, the final quest for your newly-ascended paladin could be to defeat the jealous god he formerly worshiped! It'd be a dramatic close to his character arc, and let you play him a bit longer (maybe with some juiced-up abilities).

PhantomSoul
2018-06-04, 03:29 PM
This is a fun idea. Alternatively, the final quest for your newly-ascended paladin could be to defeat the jealous god he formerly worshiped! It'd be a dramatic close to his character arc, and let you play him a bit longer (maybe with some juiced-up abilities).

Oh, and you could get to encounter Inevitables, which is always a fun prospect (Varakhut, maybe Kolyarut).

makadus
2018-06-04, 03:38 PM
Play a paladin to your paladin god.

I second this. Pally or Cleric. Then you could possibly answer your own divine Commune spells.

Davrix
2018-06-04, 05:49 PM

No he supports him. Welcomed him with open arms and such.

I think I'm just having a hard time, I've had this character off and on for over 7 years at the table. I just wasn't expecting the ascension just yet but I managed to basically throw a curve ball on the DM when we found a genie bottle and rolled the wish option.

I do like the idea of having a paladin or cleric. Maybe do sort of as a chosen champion. The DM is letting me choose my domain and what things I represent. (probably order and balance still debating.)

My only other thought is of thinking of some way to give the power and re-birth the character in a sense but I feel like that's cheapening the whole experience on some level. But if I'm being honest with myself I already miss the idea of playing this guy.

Pex
2018-06-04, 06:12 PM
I second the notion. Play a paladin of your character deity.

I can understand the attachment to a character. There are plenty of characters I miss playing from long since ended campaigns. Don't ruin the story because of it. Your character's story has a Happy Ending. Start a new one. Think of it as a sequel. Work with the DM to have an old foe be your new character's foe. He's jealous your former character became a god. The only way to hurt him is to hurt his followers, like your new character. Your second character's Quest is to defeat this villain once and for all, something your former character never did.

Mercurias
2018-06-04, 06:19 PM
My only other thought is of thinking of some way to give the power and re-birth the character in a sense but I feel like that's cheapening the whole experience on some level. But if I'm being honest with myself I already miss the idea of playing this guy.

I suspect the most important part of the discussion is right here.

Can you tell me if there is something that feels incomplete about his story? Is there something you feel like he left undone that maybe he could entrust to a mortal he feels has promise?

If yes, a follow up question would be to ask what sort of mortal your character would choose. Would he find a person with a hidden heart of gold, who just needs the rust knocked off of his or her soul? Would it be an academic? Maybe someone they saved early on or a treasured relative who went wayward?

MagneticKitty
2018-06-04, 06:30 PM
Was your character male? Could they have a child they didn't know they had? Maybe said child's journey to accept that the father they just found out they had is missing.. and finds out they're a god and starts worshiping them

Davrix
2018-06-04, 07:05 PM
I suspect the most important part of the discussion is right here.

Can you tell me if there is something that feels incomplete about his story? Is there something you feel like he left undone that maybe he could entrust to a mortal he feels has promise?

If yes, a follow up question would be to ask what sort of mortal your character would choose. Would he find a person with a hidden heart of gold, who just needs the rust knocked off of his or her soul? Would it be an academic? Maybe someone they saved early on or a treasured relative who went wayward?

Yea that's the crux of it, there is rather a lot of things that went unfinished. The wish I used was to have a long time enemy of the party be teleported in front of us to fight. I didn't realize this villain as the trigger for the ascension. And well 2 natural 20's in a row and nothing below a 15 on the die (stupid hot streak) Yea god mode engaged.

We were literally in the middle of dealing with a creature that is mutating the characters race into hideous monsters and he has a very strong connection to protecting his kind so yea maybe finding a champion to endow with the mantle and protector of his people might be best.

Nidgit
2018-06-04, 10:30 PM
Alternatively, play a Warlock with your Paladin as its Patron.

Davrix
2018-06-05, 03:52 AM
We worked out a lot of things at dinner when he had the time. We came up with some fun idea's but in short my old character is going to anoint his first paladin with a portion of his power to carry on his fight and found his new order. Its a old npc that he ran across from a few years back that sort of fell into a crisis of faith that is going to have a very religious moment next game and I'll take up him as my new character with a new story line.

Unoriginal
2018-06-05, 04:49 AM
Sorry if it's to late, but:

I don't know how it works in your DM's setting, but in default D&D, while even the weakest god is very impressive... they're not *that* impressive in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, gods need worshipers. Without worship or additional power, a god still has at-will powers they can grant and can even deal enough damage to one-hit-kill a Gnoll Pack Lord, but that's not that much compared to some other beings. And granting power to Clerics and the like do cost the god energy.

So the question is: how powerful is your paladin, now? Because you could perhaps continue playing him a while he comes to term with his godhood and gets more godlike power as more and more people start worshiping him.

You could easily represent that by getting a Boon for an at-will spell and a Boon for a few more Smite per day, rather than gaining a level. And from now on you gain similar Boons rather than progressing in your levels.