PDA

View Full Version : Rules for godlike Gestalt characters

Phoenix042
2018-06-04, 02:47 PM
I'm running a series of one-on-one adventures with the various players of my play group, reserved for when just two of us (me and one of them) are hanging out.

I offered the option to allow them to create characters of god like mythical legend, and we came up with some gestalt rules:

You start as a 1st level character and progress normally to a level 20 character, but at each level, you gain all of the benefits of two classes of your choice. You track your 20 levels of character progression separately, gaining all features of each class, with the following clarifications and exceptions:

You use your character level to determine your proficiency and other effects that refer to "your level."

You gain all of the skills and proficiencies of both of your classes, except saving throws. You choose three saving throw proficiencies from the list of saves available to either of your classes. If they both have the same saving throw proficiencies, gain a third one of your choice.

You learn and prepare spells separately for each of your classes. Keep track of your spell slot progressions separately during character advancement. During play, you can cast any spell you know in any appropriate slot, no matter how you gained it (as in multi-classing).

For example, a Gestalt Wizard 3 // Eldritch Knight 3 would have 6 1st level slots (4 from wizard and 2 from eldritch knight), and 2 2nd level ones from wizard. He can cast any 1st level spell he knows in any of his slots, no matter how he learned it.

When you gain two ability score improvements at a time, you gain them simultaneously and track their use separately. An ability score can be affected only by a single Ability Score Improvement at a given level. For example, at 4th level, our Wizard // Fighter gains two ability score increases. He uses one to select the feat heavy armor master, which also increases his strength by one. He cannot use the other one he gains this level to increase his strength again or take a feat that affects his strength, but he could use it to add 2 to his intelligence or take a different feat.

Extra attack, unarmored defense, and channel divinity work using the same rules as multi-classing.

Finally, you gain a bonus feat at 1st level regardless of the race you choose, and variant human is banned. Regular humans get an extra skill.

Using these rules, one player made a Dragon Sorcerer 3 // Conquest Paladin 3, and did in fact pick up heavy armor master. He's also got both SCAG attack cantrips.

He's got some punch.

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 02:53 PM
Rogue//Barbarians kick a lot of butt.

CTurbo
2018-06-05, 12:37 AM
I think I'd let them choose 2 save proficiencies from the possibilities, and if they chose 2 classes with the same saves, then too bad.

I think doubling up the ASIs/feats is too much. Every character would have both primary and secondary stats maxed too easily. By level 8 in some cases.

I think I agree with everything else. They don't NEED a free level 1 feat, but I like the idea.

Gestalt builds are a lot of fun though.

I'd love to be able to play a level 20 Half-Orc Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter with a Greataxe, GWF, Archery
Free feat - GWM
Level 4 +2 Str and Sentinel
Level 6 +2 Str
Level 8 +2 Dex and +2 Con
Level 12 +2 Con and Fell Handed
Level 14 +2 Dex
Level 16 Mobile and +1 Dex and Wis
Level 19 Res(Wis) and Lucky, Alert, Savage Attacker, or even Sharpshooter

Final stats - 24 Str, 20 Dex, 24 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 8 Cha

4 attacks per round, Crit on 18-20 for 5d12+21 damage per crit hit, 2 action surges, 22AC naked, and regen 12hp while below 50%