PDA

View Full Version : Evangelical Disciple (PRC, Peach)

AKA_Bait
2007-09-07, 09:30 AM
Evangelical Disciple

"Behold! I show you the wisdom and wonder of Pelor! Listen well to the tales of valor and courage. Of deeds wrought in his name! Who among you can doubt the wonder and majesty of divine power? Who among you does not wish such deeds were theirs? Well, they can be! The first step my friends is to welcome Pelor into your heart.

Evangelical disciples might best be summed up as the bards of the church. As clerics are the healing hands and wrathful justice of their deities, evangelical disciples are their voice. Neither as proficient in weapons and armor as their clerical compatriots nor possessing their spellcasting power they make up for it by having unparalled ability to spread the word of their god among those who have not yet heard the call.

Hit Die
d6.

Requirements
To qualify to become an evangelical disciple, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Alignment
Any.

Skills
Perform (Any) 5 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks.

Spells
Ability to spontaneously cast divine spells of at least 2nd level.

Special
Bardic Music Ability.

Hit Die
d6.

Class Skills
The evangelical disciple's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Evangelical Disciple
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2| Divine Voice 2 |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3| - |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3| Silver Tongue |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Divine Voice 4|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|- |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5| Fast Tongue |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Divine Voice 6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|- |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|- |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Divine Voice 8|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Spells per Day/Spells Known
When a new evangelical disciple level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of evangelical disciple to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

Bardic Music
When a new evangelical disciple level is gained, the character gains new uses of bardic music per day (and bardic music abilities, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a bardic music granting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of evangelical disciple to the level of some other bardic music granting class the character has, then determines uses per day and abilities known accordingly.

Divine Voice
Your performance skills and devotion to your diety grant you the ability to convert non-believers more easily. Anyone who listens to a performace by you gains a -2 penalty to saves against converstion for the next 24 hours. This penalty increases to -4 at fourth leve, -6 at seventh level, and -8 at eighth level.

Silver Tongue
You can take 10 on Diplomacy checks even if distracted or threatened.

Fast Tongue
You can make a rushed Diplomacy check as a standard action and take no penalty. (Normally, a rushed Diplomacy check requires a full-round action and imposes a -10 penalty on the check.).

GimliFett
2007-09-07, 12:18 PM
Funny story, I recently submitted a character idea for a PbP game using a dwarven cleric of Pelor who was an evangilist -- well mostly he just goes around espousing the wonders and joys of Pelor wherever he's adventuring, not forcing anything on anyone, just enlightening them. :smallbiggrin: I'd never have considered a dip into bard (12 Cha), but this would have fit him well, I think, though I've a couple of questions:

Why the spontaneous divine casting requirement? Favored souls and Shugenja only?
What spells actually convert people to your religion?

AKA_Bait
2007-09-07, 12:40 PM
Funny story, I recently submitted a character idea for a PbP game using a dwarven cleric of Pelor who was an evangilist -- well mostly he just goes around espousing the wonders and joys of Pelor wherever he's adventuring, not forcing anything on anyone, just enlightening them. :smallbiggrin: I'd never have considered a dip into bard (12 Cha), but this would have fit him well, I think, though I've a couple of questions:

Why the spontaneous divine casting requirement? Favored souls and Shugenja only?
What spells actually convert people to your religion?

I went for the spontaneous casters because given the full spell casting progression, most of the bard skills and the bardic music I was worried about this being overpowered in the hands of a cleric who can wear big heavy armor and gets spells a level sooner than a favored soul. Also, since bards are spontaneous casters it just seemd like a good fit.

I don't think there are any spells specifically that convert you outright. It's that in the Book of Exhaled Deeds there are rules for attempting to convert characters with which, if they fail a save, they move one step in alignment closer to yours.

GimliFett
2007-09-07, 01:02 PM
Okay. I see now. One suggestion is to give them the ability to take 10 on Diplomacy rolls under any circumstances and as a later ability to allow them to do Fast Diplomacy. Something like this:

@3rd Silver Tongue: You can take 10 on Diplomacy checks even if distracted or threatened.

@6th Fast Tongue: You can make a rushed Diplomacy check as a standard action and take no penalty. (Normally, a rushed Diplomacy check requires a full-round action and imposes a -10 penalty on the check.).

Yes, I yoinked it from Naberius (one of my favorite Vestiges), but I think it fits the idea as the Voice of the Church.

EDIT: Oh, and require a few ranks of Diplomacy. 5?

AKA_Bait
2007-09-07, 01:18 PM
Okay. I see now. One suggestion is to give them the ability to take 10 on Diplomacy rolls under any circumstances and as a later ability to allow them to do Fast Diplomacy. Something like this:

@3rd Silver Tongue: You can take 10 on Diplomacy checks even if distracted or threatened.

@6th Fast Tongue: You can make a rushed Diplomacy check as a standard action and take no penalty. (Normally, a rushed Diplomacy check requires a full-round action and imposes a -10 penalty on the check.).

Yes, I yoinked it from Naberius (one of my favorite Vestiges), but I think it fits the idea as the Voice of the Church.

EDIT: Oh, and require a few ranks of Diplomacy. 5?

Not a bad idea. I'm a little hesitant to give this PrC much more nifty stuff lest it become overpowered though... it's already almost a gish.

GimliFett
2007-09-07, 01:26 PM
Not a bad idea. I'm a little hesitant to give this PrC much more nifty stuff lest it become overpowered though... it's already almost a gish.

Except for the spontaneous divine caster part. I think that does limit its gish-ness somewhat. You're getting Bardic Music abilities combined with slightly slower divine casting plus the conversion bit, I don't see that as overpowered at all. This PrC isn't going to appeal to munchkins, IMO, it's pretty much a niche PrC -- which is good!

AKA_Bait
2007-09-07, 01:35 PM
Except for the spontaneous divine caster part. I think that does limit its gish-ness somewhat. You're getting Bardic Music abilities combined with slightly slower divine casting plus the conversion bit, I don't see that as overpowered at all. This PrC isn't going to appeal to munchkins, IMO, it's pretty much a niche PrC -- which is good!

True enough, people don't go Bard for the power. I'll add it.

GimliFett
2007-09-07, 03:22 PM
True enough, people don't go Bard for the power. I'll add it.

Yay! I contributed! :elan: