PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Would you kindly mind rating my Homebrew magic Items

Fishyninja
2018-06-04, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone.

I am running Tales of the Yawning Portal, this is my first real time DMing and I have already decided that between 'Dungeons' I am going to allow them to have downtime and also allow them to expand on their backstories a bit.
Anyway I am planning on giving each character a magic item unique to them (Probably around level 3).

The idea is that if one particular character behaves how I think they should, they will get the equipment, if they do not however the equipment will be lost forever more.

Would you all mind PEACHing this equipment and letting me know whether you think it is too powerful, not powerful enough etc.

For the Mad Warlock
A few feet of extremely corroded chain that feels cold to the touch

The Chains of Thrazidun
When used as a weapon the chain has the same properties as a Whip and does an extra 1d6 Necrotic Damage.

If the chain is used to bind a creature, upon touching flesh the chain self replicates enough to bind the creature (up to Large in size). Creature can make a DC 15 strength check to break out. Also the user of the chain may make an Investigation Check to Discern some information from the creature (DC 15) if the check fails, user must make a DC 13 Wisdom save or take 1d6 Psychic damage. If the check fails the chain drops of the bound creature

For the Holy Sorcerer

A flawless teardrop shaped gem that seems to glow slightly in the dark.

Selune's Lament
This stone has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the moonbeam spell (save DC 13) from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 2nd-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend.
While the stone has charges left, the bearer of the stone has advantage on checks to resist Lycanthropy.
The stone regains charges by spending the night under moonlight (it does not have to be directly bathed in the moonlight--indirect, ambient moonlight works as well). The phase of the moon determines the number of charges regained:

If half of the moon or less is illuminated, the stone regains 1 charge.
If more than half of the moon is illuminated, the stone regains 2 charges
Under the full moon the stone regains 3 charges
The stone regains no charges under the new moon.

At the DM's discretion, the stone may regain 1 fewer charge in situations where the moon is partially obscured (i.e. cloudy nights, heavy fog, nights spend under thick foliage, etc.)

For the War Driven Monk
A highly ornate dagger. The Pommel appears to be in the shape of a Crocus and has a blood red gemstone set into it.

The Crocus Petal
A ruby is the center stone in a crocus-shaped setting on the weapon.
The weapon always smells of Croci while the ruby is in its setting.
The bearer may spend an action to permanently animate this weapon. Once the animated weapon is reduced to 0 hp or unattuned, the weapon shatters like glass leaving only the Crocus setting in the pommel. The weapon has the same stats as the Animated Sword but does a dagger's damage

If a stone worth 30gp or more is placed in the crocus the Dagger regrows in 24 hours, the blade takes on a slight sheen of the stone sacrified to it

For the Glory Seeking Paladin
A simple looking stone Unicorn pendant, marred and chipped with age

Lerue's Boon
Good Paladins whom wear this necklace gain 5 extra Lay on Hands points to their pool every 5 levels

For the unhealthy Necromancer
An ancient looking glass inkwell. When you dip a quill into the ink you find it to be thicker and more viscous than usual

Thayan Pigments
When used as a tattoo (requires a tattooist) the caster gains an extra spell slot of the highest level they can currently cast. Pot has enough for 4 tattoos

So yes if you could PEACH and make suggestions pleas let me know.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-04, 03:59 PM
The Chains of Thrazidun
When used as a weapon the chain has the same properties as a Whip and does an extra 1d6 Necrotic Damage.

If the chain is used to bind a creature, upon touching flesh the chain self replicates enough to bind the creature (up to Large in size). Creature can make a DC 15 strength check to break out. Also the user of the chain may make an Investigation Check to Discern some information from the creature (DC 15) if the check fails, user must make a DC 13 Wisdom save or take 1d6 Psychic damage. If the check fails the chain drops of the bound creature

Cool idea for a warlock, a few questions that will help, is it an action to "bind" or is it part of the attack action? Is the DC15 strength check an on their turn check or is an opposed check when attempting to bind? When does this investigation check happen? action, bonus action, or on attack once bound maybe?

Selune's Lament
This stone has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the moonbeam spell (save DC 13) from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 2nd-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend.
While the stone has charges left, the bearer of the stone has advantage on checks to resist Lycanthropy.
The stone regains charges by spending the night under moonlight (it does not have to be directly bathed in the moonlight--indirect, ambient moonlight works as well). The phase of the moon determines the number of charges regained:

If half of the moon or less is illuminated, the stone regains 1 charge.
If more than half of the moon is illuminated, the stone regains 2 charges
Under the full moon the stone regains 3 charges
The stone regains no charges under the new moon.

At the DM's discretion, the stone may regain 1 fewer charge in situations where the moon is partially obscured (i.e. cloudy nights, heavy fog, nights spend under thick foliage, etc.)

This is complicated beyond belief i'd recommend that you simplify it, regains 1d4-1 charges daily at midnight, over time this will make it match and it means that you don't have to keep track of the lunar cycle. This is also very weak compared to the prior item for the warlock.

The Crocus Petal
The bearer may spend an action to permanently animate this weapon. Once the animated weapon is reduced to 0 hp or unattuned, the weapon shatters like glass leaving only the Crocus setting in the pommel. The weapon has the same stats as the Animated Sword but does a dagger's damage

If a stone worth 30gp or more is placed in the crocus the Dagger regrows in 24 hours, the blade takes on a slight sheen of the stone sacrified to it

+4 to hit 1d4+2 damage sounds good however it's pretty pricey if it takes any damage at all. Can it regain hit points? At low levels I see it getting used a decent amount however they'll have trouble replacing it, at higher level's it's going to be essentially useless.

Lerue's Boon
Good Paladins whom wear this necklace gain 5 extra Lay on Hands points to their pool every 5 levels

Does this require attunement, actually better question do any of these items require attunement? Pure increase in the bouncy ball effect provided by paladins I'd use it. You said you'll give these out around level three, so this does nothing til level five, or is it plus five on receipt and five more at 10,15, and 20?

An ancient looking glass inkwell. When you dip a quill into the ink you find it to be thicker and more viscous than usual

Thayan Pigments
When used as a tattoo (requires a tattooist) the caster gains an extra spell slot of the highest level they can currently cast. Pot has enough for 4 tattoos

First may I say that as a full caster this could be the most powerful item in existence for them. If they had patience then this would eventually be like receiving 4 Epic boons allowing them to cast wish 5 times per adventuring day or Meteor swarm. Just imagine an entire adventuring party with foresight going...

Cap this at fifth level spells similar to pact magic. Do not allow the Warlock to steal this from the wizard. I would also make this single use.

Fishyninja
2018-06-04, 04:11 PM
Cool idea for a warlock, a few questions that will help, is it an action to "bind" or is it part of the attack action? Is the DC15 strength check an on their turn check or is an opposed check when attempting to bind? When does this investigation check happen? action, bonus action, or on attack once bound maybe?

This is complicated beyond belief i'd recommend that you simplify it, regains 1d4-1 charges daily at midnight, over time this will make it match and it means that you don't have to keep track of the lunar cycle. This is also very weak compared to the prior item for the warlock.

Will add to this as I'm reading the op.

First. The Chains *Insert Rattling for Dramatic Effect*
You know I honestly did not think this far ahead. In my mind I would assume the binding would be done out of combat on a knocked out opponent. However if they wished to do this in Battle I would assume it to go like this:
W: I use my action to bind the creature
DM: Ok the Creature is binded. It is now their turn, they will try to break free *rolls* they fail.
W: Ok I will attempt to probe their mind.

Next the tear:
Really? Fair enough. To be honest, easier is better, but I know Moonbeam is a bit of a powerful spell so I thought using the cycle of the moon to bring charges might make it a little bit less powerful.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-04, 04:19 PM
First. The Chains *Insert Rattling for Dramatic Effect*
You know I honestly did not think this far ahead. In my mind I would assume the binding would be done out of combat on a knocked out opponent. However if they wished to do this in Battle I would assume it to go like this:
W: I use my action to bind the creature
DM: Ok the Creature is binded. It is now their turn, they will try to break free *rolls* they fail.
W: Ok I will attempt to probe their mind.

Next the tear:
Really? Fair enough. To be honest, easier is better, but I know Moonbeam is a bit of a powerful spell so I thought using the cycle of the moon to bring charges might make it a little bit less powerful.

For the chains, I'd make it it's own action kind of similar to the Iron bands of Bilarro. This item would probably be considered rare or very rare by DMG standards.

I'd actually forgotten that moonbeam was a 5' radius not a 5' circle, This is probably a decent item that being the case, it gives the sorc access to a spell off list that's pretty good and limits it's power. I'm assuming there is a backstory reason for the anti lycanthropy theme of this item.

Fishyninja
2018-06-04, 04:27 PM
For the chains, I'd make it it's own action kind of similar to the Iron bands of Bilarro. This item would probably be considered rare or very rare by DMG standards.

I'd actually forgotten that moonbeam was a 5' radius not a 5' circle, This is probably a decent item that being the case, it gives the sorc access to a spell off list that's pretty good and limits it's power. I'm assuming there is a backstory reason for the anti lycanthropy theme of this item.

Yes, the idea is that the Sorcerer is actually an angel in service of Selune, and she has failed her god whom has casther down to the mortal world to redeem herself. Selune being goddess of the moon,, Lycanthropy seemed like a good theme to it in and also the Sorcerer hates them more than mortals.

+4 to hit 1d4+2 damage sounds good however it's pretty pricey if it takes any damage at all. Can it regain hit points? At low levels I see it getting used a decent amount however they'll have trouble replacing it, at higher level's it's going to be essentially useless.

Hmm fair point, I could either

Let it regen health if it gets a 'kill'
Let it have hit die
Depending on the gem sacrified depends on the hp it gets. So the higher the GP value the more HP

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-04, 04:35 PM
Yes, the idea is that the Sorcerer is actually an angel in service of Selune, and she has failed her god whom has casther down to the mortal world to redeem herself. Selune being goddess of the moon,, Lycanthropy seemed like a good theme to it in and also the Sorcerer hates them more than mortals.

Sounds good to me.

Hmm fair point, I could either

Let it regen health if it gets a 'kill'
Let it have hit die
Depending on the gem sacrified depends on the hp it gets. So the higher the GP value the more HP

Hit die would be my choice though, only if it's a fairly veteran player as keeping track of two sets of hit die could be confusing to a newbie. I would have the gem value scale the damage that way it could improve slightly with them. Secondary question that I just thought of, does it act upon command phrases? That would be a solid idea as it allows it to go "inert" but still be usable at an instant's notice.

Fishyninja
2018-06-04, 04:46 PM

Have discussed this and I think we are both happy on this front.

I agree with your suggestion on regaining charges. How could one make it more powerful. Maybe cast at a higher level posisbly?

The player is experienced (5+ years Playing, 2+ DMing), keeping track of 2 sets of Hit Die wont be a problem.
In regards to command words. Yeah that isn't a bad Idea. I think (and this is just me) I like the diea of him ahving to learn the command words (nothing too overkill but the commands have to be clear), would suit his character who has been a prisoner all of his life discovering new things

Does this require attunement, actually better question do any of these items require attunement? Pure increase in the bouncy ball effect provided by paladins I'd use it. You said you'll give these out around level three, so this does nothing til level five, or is it plus five on receipt and five more at 10,15, and 20?

I was planning on making them all attuneable items. For the unicorn it would be +5 when they begin and thinking about it the next boost would be at level 10, I think +10 Lay on hands over 2 levels may be OP.

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]First may I say that as a full caster this could be the most powerful item in existence for them. If they had patience then this would eventually be like receiving 4 Epic boons allowing them to cast wish 5 times per adventuring day or Meteor swarm. Just imagine an entire adventuring party with foresight going...

Cap this at fifth level spells similar to pact magic. Do not allow the Warlock to steal this from the wizard. I would also make this single use.

Fair enough. I was going to give this some backstory stuff for example it is a mix or Iron, black pigment and Szass Tam's blood, thus only a true Thayan could use it (saves it being pinched by the other spellcasters)

Just thought it would be easier to quote the entire thing. My responses are in Bold above.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-04, 04:59 PM
Have discussed this and I think we are both happy on this front.

Agreed, A very good item with the attunement they'll need to decide later on down the road to keep the abilities or switch up to a better damage item.

I agree with your suggestion on regaining charges. How could one make it more powerful. Maybe cast at a higher level posisbly?

I think my opinion of this item was in error it's actually pretty solid once it's simplified. Rather then being a direct increase to consistent damage on every attack it increases the longevity of the sorcerer's spell slots over the adventuring day.

The player is experienced (5+ years Playing, 2+ DMing), keeping track of 2 sets of Hit Die wont be a problem.
In regards to command words. Yeah that isn't a bad Idea. I think (and this is just me) I like the idea of him having to learn the command words (nothing too overkill but the commands have to be clear), would suit his character who has been a prisoner all of his life discovering new things

Sounds like a solid idea to me, if you really want to mess with him on the command words take a look at Brandon Sanderson's book Warbreaker for command ideas.

I was planning on making them all attuneable items. For the unicorn it would be +5 when they begin and thinking about it the next boost would be at level 10, I think +10 Lay on hands over 2 levels may be OP.

It sounds like the Pally and the divine soul sorc are your main combat healers so this should be solid for a long time, It wouldn't shock me to see him keep it even if something technically better comes up.

Fair enough. I was going to give this some backstory stuff for example it is a mix or Iron, black pigment and Szass Tam's blood, thus only a true Thayan could use it (saves it being pinched by the other spellcasters)

That's a good idea, one thing I might recommend is rather then creating a spell slot it allows a specific spell to be cast once per day, however it won't allow you to upcast beyond what was tattooed into it at the beginning.

Oddly enough I'm about to start a campaign where my Gnomes tattoos react to his magic, I might have to throw this at the DM and see if I can grab something similar.

Fishyninja
2018-06-04, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a solid idea to me, if you really want to mess with him on the command words take a look at Brandon Sanderson's book Warbreaker for command ideas.

I love Sanderson. Just reread Warbreaker last week!

That's a good idea, one thing I might recommend is rather then creating a spell slot it allows a specific spell to be cast once per day, however it won't allow you to upcast beyond what was tattooed into it at the beginning.

Oddly enough I'm about to start a campaign where my Gnomes tattoos react to his magic, I might have to throw this at the DM and see if I can grab something similar.

Steal away! Thanks for your advice!

Beleriphon
2018-06-04, 05:08 PM
Interesting. I'd be leery of that last one, the inkwell. Adding more spell slots to a wizard on a permanent basis seems like its just asking for trouble.

Fishyninja
2018-06-04, 05:16 PM
Interesting. I'd be leery of that last one, the inkwell. Adding more spell slots to a wizard on a permanent basis seems like its just asking for trouble.

I understand the concern that was why I suggested of making it of the highest level they can cast at that point, that means they either use it early and get a load of level 1 and 2's or they get a crap ton of level 9 spells at the end game.

But fair enough I could make it one use.

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-05, 10:42 AM
Chain: raise the DC to 20. Str Save.
Teardrop Recharge 1d3 charges per night. Overly complicated as written.
Dagger: keep as is.
A Unicorn Shaped Pendant: Add one point per level. KISS principle.
Ancient Inkwell: massively OP.

Suggest one spell (not spell slot) that is at most 1/3 of the Wizard's Level. A Tattoo can be applied 4 times, but the effects are not additive, they replace the previous effect. Each tattoo has to overwrite/incorporate the previous tattoo; at that point, the new spell replaces the old spell. Spell can be case once per long rest. (when you consider the level of power of the other items, this is still rather powerful ... but reined in a bit).

Final comment: I love the customization you did here in fitting the items to the characters. :smallsmile: Nicely done.

Karsalem
2018-06-05, 11:21 AM
A man chooses, a slave obeys.

Fishyninja
2018-06-06, 09:22 AM
Chain: raise the DC to 20. Str Save.
Teardrop Recharge 1d3 charges per night. Overly complicated as written.
Dagger: keep as is.
A Unicorn Shaped Pendant: Add one point per level. KISS principle.
Ancient Inkwell: massively OP.

Suggest one spell (not spell slot) that is at most 1/3 of the Wizard's Level. A Tattoo can be applied 4 times, but the effects are not additive, they replace the previous effect. Each tattoo has to overwrite/incorporate the previous tattoo; at that point, the new spell replaces the old spell. Spell can be case once per long rest. (when you consider the level of power of the other items, this is still rather powerful ... but reined in a bit).

Final comment: I love the customization you did here in fitting the items to the characters. :smallsmile: Nicely done.

Thank you. Seems the consensus is that the Inkwell is OP. I'll have a look at that.
In regards to the chain, since they my be getting these at level 3 wouldn't DC20 for the STR Save be too high for many of the creatures they will be fighting (Orcs, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Duergar, Ooze etc)?

I do try and make some of the items tailored to them, I am already having to reskin some of the items they'll get in the modules otherwise they will have a lot of stuff they cannot use. Don't get me wrong I intend for them to have some useless equipment.

Going back to the pendant I like your idea actuall however I was wondering, the Sorcerer in the group is actually acting primarily as the healer of the group (the character believes that violence is the ladt resort) also this particular character hates the paladin at the moment (he's a braggart) I was thinking of possibly making some sort of mechanic that if they work together to use the pendant it could make it more powerful.
Maybe allows double use of Lay on Hands or something?
Also if I go ahead with this I think I would like them to discover the properties by accident.

Thoughts?

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

Yessum Mr. Ryan.

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-06, 09:38 AM
Thank you. Seems the consensus is that the Inkwell is OP. I'll have a look at that. Glad we could be of help.

In regards to the chain, since they may be getting these at level 3 wouldn't DC20 for the STR Save be too high for many of the creatures they will be fighting (Orcs, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Duergar, Ooze etc)? Orcs get a +3 to str saves. Not sure I see the problem. I just think DC 15 is too low. Maybe DC 18. Also, having this chain be more useful than just a narrow level range is something to think about.

Going back to the pendant ... if they work together to use the pendant it could make it more powerful.
Maybe allows double use of Lay on Hands or something?Good idea. Like it a lot.

Also if I go ahead with this I think I would like them to discover the properties by accident.
Recommend against. The game as written has a short rest/attunement reveal what an item does. I'd suggest that they use the items; they are quirky enough without putting that obstacle in the way. (Those are my thoughts).

Fishyninja
2018-06-06, 09:59 AM
Glad we could be of help.
Orcs get a +3 to str saves. Not sure I see the problem. I just think DC 15 is too low. Maybe DC 18. Also, having this chain be more useful than just a narrow level range is something to think about.
Good idea. Like it a lot.

Recommend against. The game as written has a short rest/attunement reveal what an item does. I'd suggest that they use the items; they are quirky enough without putting that obstacle in the way. (Those are my thoughts).

All succint points. 18 seems like a good middle ground. I'll think of a way that the Pendant's power can be increased and I'll get back you. Maybe mix some of the Life Cleric features in there, for example, if they use the pendant together they can add the sum of their spell casting modifiers, halved to the ability or something. That way the max they'll ever add to it is +5.

Kyrinthic
2018-06-06, 10:53 AM
Paladin item feels weak. Roughly a 1/level feels like it wont be worth the attune slot in time.

Compare it to the moonstone, which casts 3 level 2 spells.
If the paladin got to cast lesser resto or cure light wounds 3/day, assuming a pretty low roll, thats equal to about 15 points of LOH.
The paladin wont see that much out of it until level 15. And by then something like a necklace of prayer beads is probably a better use of the attunement slot for much the same type of effect.

If the paladin is balancing combat with healing, something that can 'rechange' his loh pool on a kill or otherwise maintain usage through the day might be more useful. Or even just an effect that lets them recharge the LOH on a short rest. This would give more power to the ability and represent a lot more healing out of it over the course of a day, without giving them the ability to throw any larger heals then they already can. Perhaps a cost, spend a HD over a short reset to recharge the LOH pool, or require a bonus action saying a prayer over a defeated evil enemy.

These are the sort of things that would scale into later levels stronger, and does it by increasing longevity of resources, not direct in combat power.

Fishyninja
2018-06-06, 04:48 PM
Paladin item feels weak. Roughly a 1/level feels like it wont be worth the attune slot in time.

Compare it to the moonstone, which casts 3 level 2 spells.
If the paladin got to cast lesser resto or cure light wounds 3/day, assuming a pretty low roll, thats equal to about 15 points of LOH.
The paladin wont see that much out of it until level 15. And by then something like a necklace of prayer beads is probably a better use of the attunement slot for much the same type of effect.

If the paladin is balancing combat with healing, something that can 'rechange' his loh pool on a kill or otherwise maintain usage through the day might be more useful. Or even just an effect that lets them recharge the LOH on a short rest. This would give more power to the ability and represent a lot more healing out of it over the course of a day, without giving them the ability to throw any larger heals then they already can. Perhaps a cost, spend a HD over a short reset to recharge the LOH pool, or require a bonus action saying a prayer over a defeated evil enemy.

These are the sort of things that would scale into later levels stronger, and does it by increasing longevity of resources, not direct in combat power.

Duly noted. Originally I was thinking of making it so that technically it doubled the HP healed when using LOH however I felt that might get a bit OP very quickly.

Oramac
2018-06-06, 05:38 PM
I'll let others comment on the balance and just point out that these things:

character behaves how I think they should

Are a great way to really piss off your players. "DM discretion" is a terrible idea for magic items.

Fishyninja
2018-06-06, 07:35 PM
"DM discretion" is a terrible idea for magic items.

Ok, what would you suggest I do then in regards to them finding them?
Just let them find them?

The reason why there needs to be certain behaviour is based on behaviour they have already showcased. I understand players can be a law unto themselves.
I want them to get the kit but I want them to feel like they have earned it.

Thus as a New DM, how would you suggest I proceed forward?

Kyrinthic
2018-06-08, 10:21 AM
Duly noted. Originally I was thinking of making it so that technically it doubled the HP healed when using LOH however I felt that might get a bit OP very quickly.

See the thing with healing is, in combat, there are lots of limitations to make it a poor action. If you are going to spend in combat healing, the only part that matters is if you can make it a big enough heal to keep a target back up for multiple hits, otherwise 1 point of LOH is as good as 5 or 10. You are spending one action and a resource (loh pool or spell slot or potion) to cost an enemy another action (or more based on AC etc). Its only a good trade if you can spend your action costing the enemy multiple actions basically.

So, increasing how often they can LOH or letting them recover that pool wont change within a combat much. Increasing how big the pool has on hand can. That is why my suggestion is to let them have it back more often, so they get more use out of the ability, but they are still capped by their normal pool maximum.

If you are still worried, then costing them health-based resources becomes interesting. a Hit die to recharge means they are losing ~9 hp to get back some amount they can give to others. This is only really a net gain at level 3, but it gives them interesting self-sacrificing options before then, and slowly expands from there. And even from there, lets say at level 10, they get ~40 hp net gain. It isn't going to break your game.

Fishyninja
2018-06-08, 04:24 PM
See the thing with healing is, in combat, there are lots of limitations to make it a poor action. If you are going to spend in combat healing, the only part that matters is if you can make it a big enough heal to keep a target back up for multiple hits, otherwise 1 point of LOH is as good as 5 or 10. You are spending one action and a resource (loh pool or spell slot or potion) to cost an enemy another action (or more based on AC etc). Its only a good trade if you can spend your action costing the enemy multiple actions basically.

So, increasing how often they can LOH or letting them recover that pool wont change within a combat much. Increasing how big the pool has on hand can. That is why my suggestion is to let them have it back more often, so they get more use out of the ability, but they are still capped by their normal pool maximum.

If you are still worried, then costing them health-based resources becomes interesting. a Hit die to recharge means they are losing ~9 hp to get back some amount they can give to others. This is only really a net gain at level 3, but it gives them interesting self-sacrificing options before then, and slowly expands from there. And even from there, lets say at level 10, they get ~40 hp net gain. It isn't going to break your game.

So in essence raher than increasing the amount the Paladin has make it a Short Rest Recharge?

Kyrinthic
2018-06-12, 10:58 AM
So in essence raher than increasing the amount the Paladin has make it a Short Rest Recharge?

Thats probably the easiest way, yes. The important thing is that it not ever increase the maximum, regardless of the recharge maximum. You could have it recharge all manor of ways to increase or decrease how much per day healing it gives, but as long as it is never more than 5/level, you arent breaking any combat power limits for the ability.

Fishyninja
2018-06-13, 08:55 AM
Thats probably the easiest way, yes. The important thing is that it not ever increase the maximum, regardless of the recharge maximum. You could have it recharge all manor of ways to increase or decrease how much per day healing it gives, but as long as it is never more than 5/level, you arent breaking any combat power limits for the ability.

Lovely, that was my main concern. I've played enough D&D to have a hunch when stuff is over powered/too dificult for the group, however as a DM it changes your view point quite a bit.

Oramac
2018-06-14, 07:14 AM
behaves how I think they should

Ok, what would you suggest I do then in regards to them finding them?
Just let them find them?

The reason why there needs to be certain behaviour is based on behaviour they have already showcased. I understand players can be a law unto themselves.
I want them to get the kit but I want them to feel like they have earned it.

Thus as a New DM, how would you suggest I proceed forward?

The first quote is the one I think is most dangerous to your game. Your view of how a character should behave is very likely not the same as the view of the player playing said character.

I totally understand and agree with handing out items related to and deriving from the characters and their personalities. But it has to be based on the player's choices, story, and view of the character. This discussion has many parallels with the multitude of discussions about "what constitutes X alignment?" There are just so many different opinions that it's damn near impossible to pick the one your player will also agree with.

What I would suggest doing is, hand out the items to the group, and let the group decide who gets them. Preferably hand them out with a little piece of item lore attached, maybe in the form of a note or book entry or something. That way, you give them hints as to which character could best use the item, but the group still maintains the freedom of choice in actually distributing them. And once they figure out what the item(s) do, they can always redistribute them as they see fit.

Basically, by saying "behaves how I think they should", you're removing player agency and, in effect, railroading them into a course of action they might otherwise not take.

Fishyninja
2018-06-14, 05:44 PM
Basically, by saying "behaves how I think they should", you're removing player agency and, in effect, railroading them into a course of action they might otherwise not take.

Fair enough and that, is the last thing I want to do. Many thanks for the clarification.

thoroughlyS
2018-06-14, 08:23 PM
How long are you hoping that these items remain relevant to the characters? If you're giving them these items at 3rd level, ideally they would be equivalent to uncommon items (e.g. circlet of blasting, ring of water breathing, wand of web). These items tend to fall into the background around mid-levels, no more than fun flourishes the characters have. This leads into my next question.

How powerful do you want these items to be? These items all seem fairly impactful in combat, with special mention to the Thayan pigments considering an extra spell slot can be even more useful out-of-combat. The chains of Tharizdun, for example, are arguably superior to the iron bands of Bilarro (a rare item) because, while they lack a ranged component, they can be used at will and do not require a hit with an attack. Never mind their functionality as a weapon.

A common way to make items have a lasting impact it to have them grow in power over time, much like Items of Legacy from D&D v3.5. Usually this is associated with some cost, like completing a quest or making a sacrifice. Does this seem like an option you'd want to explore?

This kind of information is useful for judging whether an item is appropriate for a character or not. Character backstories, motivations, attitudes, and item origins are integral to the design process.

Side note: Selűne's portfolio actually includes good lycanthropes. Perhaps the reason for the angel's fall was her emnity towards their kind? Maybe losing her prejudice could allow her to realize the item's true power.

Tubben
2018-06-14, 09:13 PM
A DC 20 Str save is pretty high.

If you go through the items in the DMG, you will see most items will have an DC around 15.
Keep in mind, only a very few caster will ever reach an spell save DC of 20...

I think the 15 for the whip is fine.

Fishyninja
2018-06-14, 10:26 PM
How long are you hoping that these items remain relevant to the characters? If you're giving them these items at 3rd level, ideally they would be equivalent to uncommon items (e.g. circlet of blasting, ring of water breathing, wand of web). These items tend to fall into the background around mid-levels, no more than fun flourishes the characters have. This leads into my next question.

How powerful do you want these items to be? These items all seem fairly impactful in combat, with special mention to the Thayan pigments considering an extra spell slot can be even more useful out-of-combat. The chains of Tharizdun, for example, are arguably superior to the iron bands of Bilarro (a rare item) because, while they lack a ranged component, they can be used at will and do not require a hit with an attack. Never mind their functionality as a weapon.

A common way to make items have a lasting impact it to have them grow in power over time, much like Items of Legacy from D&D v3.5. Usually this is associated with some cost, like completing a quest or making a sacrifice. DOes this seem like an option you'd want to explore?

This kind of information is useful for judging whether an item is appropriate for a character or not. Character backstories, motivations, attitudes, and item origins are integral to the design process.

Side note: Selűne's portfolio actually includes good lycanthropes. Perhaps the reason for the angel's fall was her emnity towards their kind? Maybe losing her prejudice could allow her to realize the item's true power.

Hmmm I like that idea. In regards to Selune, that could work, she is entirely prejudiced against humans

Ok so below are the updated versions and how they will scale:

For the Mad Warlock
A few feet of extremely corroded chain that feels cold to the touch

The Chains of Thrazidun

Milestone Scale
If the chain is used to bind a creature, upon touching flesh the chain self replicates enough to bind the creature (up to Large in size). Creature can make a DC 18 strength check to break out. Also the user of the chain may make an Investigation Check to Discern some information from the creature (DC 15) if the check fails, user must make a DC 13 Wisdom save or take 1d6 Psychic damage. If the check fails the chain drops off the bound creature and it is no longer restrained

For the Holy Sorcerer
A flawless teardrop shaped gem that seems to glow slightly in the dark even though it.

Selune's Lament
A flawless gemstone that emits a dim light out to 10ft, it feels almost like moonlight. When held the User has advantage on checks against Lycanthropy.

Milestone Scale
This stone has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the moonbeam spell (save DC 13) from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 2nd-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. The stone regains 1d4-1 charges at dusk

For the Wardriven Monk
A highly ornate and fragile looking dagger. The Pommel appears to be in the shape of a Crocus and has a blood red gemstone set into it.

The Crocus Petal
The bearer may spend an action to permanently animate this weapon. Once the animated weapon is reduced to 0 hp or unattuned, the weapon shatters like glass leaving only the Crocus setting in the pommel. The weapon has the same stats as the Flying Sword but does a dagger's damage.
Placing any Gemstone in the pommel causes the dagger to regrow in 24 hours.

Scaling
If gems of higher worth are used, the Dagger gains an increase in HP and AC [To be decided]

For the Gloryseeking Paladin

Lerue's Boon
Good aligned Paladins whom wear this necklace regain their lay on hands pool after a short rest

Scaling
Unsure what to do here

For the Unhealthy Necromancer

Thayan Pigments
When used as a tattoo (requires a tattooist) the caster gains an extra spell slot of the highest level they can currently cast. The caster must pick a spell from their spell list at the current level they can cast.

Scaling
At 5th, 9th, 11th levels the tattoo grows and a different spell can be used Similar to a Dragonmark

thoroughlyS
2018-06-14, 10:59 PM
You didn't actually respond to any of my questions.

And when exactly do you intend for these items to scale now? It seems inconsistent considering the chains of Tharizdun and Selűne's lament appear to scale once, while the Thayan pigments scale thrice, and the crocus petal can vary wildly based on wealth.

Fishyninja
2018-06-15, 03:53 PM
You didn't actually respond to any of my questions.

And when exactly do you intend for these items to scale now? It seems inconsistent considering the chains of Tharizdun and Selűne's lament appear to scale once, while the Thayan pigments scale thrice, and the crocus petal can vary wildly based on wealth.

My apologies, I did not realise you were actually questions I thought they were hypotheitcals.

At present I honestly do not know.
My initial plan was to give them to the party at level 3 when they completed a specific task. However as you have read many people thought some of the items were overpowered without some scaling regimes.

Now in regards to scaling, as they are doing standard XP I was thinking that for some of the items such as the Thayan Pigments to scale with Level (Like a Dragon Mark). I admit I need to think more on how to progress on that.
In regards to the Crocus Petal its 'scaling' is based on what gemstones are put into it. I still need to work out a scale for that.

TL:DR: Scaling is something I am still working on at the moment.

thoroughlyS
2018-06-16, 10:09 AM
I meant these questions.

How powerful do you want these items to be? ... The chains of Tharizdun, for example, are arguably superior to the iron bands of Bilarro (a rare item) because, while they lack a ranged component, they can be used at will and do not require a hit with an attack. Never mind their functionality as a weapon.
In addition:

What are the character's backstories?
What are the character's motivations?
What are the character's attitudes like?
What prompted you to choose these kinds of items?
What are the origins of these items/What kind of origin do you want for them?

Fishyninja
2018-06-16, 12:20 PM
I meant these questions.

In addition:

What are the character's backstories?
What are the character's motivations?
What are the character's attitudes like?
What prompted you to choose these kinds of items?
What are the origins of these items/What kind of origin do you want for them?

Ah these I can answer. I will go character by character for ease of reference. Note in the backstories some of these have been taken straight from the character sheets so some of the backstory stuff is quite long I will include TLDR notes at the bottom.

Mad Kairon, the Mad Warlock
Kairon went to look for his son in the underdark after his son ran away. When he finds his son his son ends up being killed by the creatures of the underdark sending him into a mad spiral of grief. While in the under dark he wanders into a old shrine of an Great Old One (Thrazidun). Thrazidun sensing Kairon's mental weakness and Anguish offers Kairon great power to act as his agent at the cost of his mind. Kairon accepts.
At present Kairon is happy to wander and discover new things, at present the player has not really revealed his motivations (New Player)
In essence he is a pot stirrer and a wildcard chracter, he is always looking to do the thing people least expect, he can be disruptive to the characters plans but also comes out with some good 'Eureka' Moments
Kairon is always questioning things, even mundane things. He suprisingly is good at getting information from characters so and interrogation item seemed fitting.
Specifically the item would be a gift from Thrazidun but Thrazidun will not be present to gift the item. Due to one other character (Samalyn) they have a Solar (whom they do not know about apart from Samalyn) watching them and evaluating them.

Samalyn, the Holy Sorcerer
Samalyn in an angel of Selune. She’d begun learning about the history of mankind and saw their wars, their hatred and their worship of evil gods or devils. She told Selune that mankind is not worthy of her attention. She should turn her back on them and leave them to the fate they build themselves with their dark ways.
Selune just smiled and told Sama that she needs to see the good in mankind for herself. She told a completely shocked Sama that she was going down there to seek out a group of people to help and watch. She is forbidden from telling them who or what she is though. As punishment for her insolence Selune took away Samas knowledge of how mankind lives day to day, so she will have to figure that out on her own. She then, without another word, took her essence and sent it down into the body of a half elven woman.

This woman had been killed. A massive, thick scar on her newly healed chest tells the story of how this body died. Killed by the Solar who is following them.
Primarily to redeem herself in Selune's eyes. Secondary to heal the party and learn more about mortals
She is very opinionated and forceful, she thinks she is always correct and hates admitting that she does not know about things. For example she spent 2 days not eating because she didn't know what food was (due to angels not requiring food or drink). She thinks anyone who resorts to violence first is beneath her and she hates the fact she has to spend her time healing this group of adventurers
Hopefully at the point they receive these items she may have warmed a bit to the group. In character she is very frustrated that Selune is not speaking to her. This item is a "I am here and listening" type gift.
A gift from Selune

Scarlet, the Meadow Crocus. The Wardriven Monk

Warning: LONG POST AHEAD
The earliest part of her life she doesn't remember forgotten along with her given name. One day she was taken out of the little shack that she called home whilst her parents were away. And was taken to serve as a servant for the fighters in the fighting pits. These were unsanctioned and many who fought there were essentially slaves. The corrupt part of the guards also sent convicts down there to fight. People from the underworld came there to bet and spectate the gory spectacle. She was around six when she was taken and barely saw any light for eleven years. The man she took order from and was owned by went by the name of Pinter. As she was growing into a young woman the men started to get a little more pushier. One day Khartor one of the gladiators thought he could take advantage of her. She kicked him hard in the seedpots and the entire barracks probably heard that. Khartor started wailing on her as she ran right into pinter. He laughed at the ordeal and said if she was such a fighter and didn’t want to serve anymore she could have it. He gave her one month to prepare.

The next week was spend swinging at a dummy with a sword to large. The others ridiculed her and the bets were 1:10 of her surviving her first fight. That’s when the quartermaster Cirdan seemingly took pity and saw a glimmer of potential. The first thing he did was take the sword and give her a long dagger. He himself took a staff and every night she would go to bed bruises on every part of her body. When the day of the fight neared she started anticipating his strikes and he himself had to go onto the defensive every now and then. On the last training before the fight she tagged him once giving him a small cut along the arm. “Very well.” He said. “A thousand more cuts and every foe no matter their strength will fall.” We sparred for a few more hours but then he send her to rest. The next night in the hours before the fight she was paralyzed by fear. Half an hour before the fight Cirdan brought her a gift. A blue Hanfu loose enough to fight in but giving her a new kind of flair. Within its folds she hid her dagger and throwing knife. When she entered the arena the crowd roared in laughter at her diminutive stature. When the opposing fighter entered the ring he turned around a called. “Where is my opponent?” He was a beast of a man and held in his hands a club as large and heavy as her. His name was Adder and had a few fights on his name already. As soon as the signal was given he rushed her but she darted away. She kept dancing and the crowd started calling for action. That’s when an idea came to her and she started calling him names. He became red hot but more importantly the crowd picked up on it. She bloodied him twice by a quick throw but when the crowd started cheering for her she became overconfident. It was over before she knew it. A massive hand grabbed her arm with the dagger and the other beat her close to death. The pitmaster blew the fight won but he kicked her twice more in the chest and once on the head before walking off. They had to carry her away and was mentally just as beaten as she was physically. Cirdan scolded her for losing her self control but she could see in his eyes that he was proud. She was given a larger sum then expected. She was given the choice to go back to serving or continue fighting. She chose to fight.
It took two weeks for her to get back to full training and over the next six months she spend day and night honing her skills. There were some friendly public sparring matches but Pinter didn't assign her to any which could do irreparable harm. Over those months her small frame became hardened and her strikes quick as a snake. Her first real fight went well, it was a good match but in the end the dozens of cuts slowly brought her opponent. When she was around the age of fifteen and she didn't fit her old hanfu anymore. Cirdan brought her a new deep blue one. Wrapped within she found a Wakizashi and a dozen Kunai. He told her that she needed a bigger blade as she had grown as well and that the Kunai would serve her well. It took a little time adapting but she quickly mastered them both. Her name by this point was long forgotten but the crowd had starting calling her Scarlet after the colour she turned her opponents in. She won some she lost some but the arena hadn't yet made her kill. That changed a about a year ago when she was put up against Khartor. He had kept mostly to himself but they were put on entirely different schedules for a reason as the air almost crackled with anger and hatred whenever they were in the same room. As she was dressing and mentally preparing herself Cirdan came in and gave her a flower. “This is you Scarlet, a meadow crocus. Beautiful and innocent to behold but poisonous giving those that would hurt her a slow but certain death.” She thanked her mentor and put the flower in her hair at the base of her braid. As she was announced and entered the arena Khartor was already waiting.

Khartor called out. “Has the little girl finally come out of hiding? I’ll smash you to little pieces you bitch. Oh, I see that daddy has given you a flower.” Scarlet just smiled as she took a provocative pose and called back. “Compensating? Or are you afraid that something will burst again? And it’s called a meadoc crocus you swine. I’ll force one down your throat for a taste.” He took up his axe and just before the signal was given he called. “Don’t worry girl you’ll gag on something yourself in not to long.” She smiled once again as he approached his axe and shield in a guarding position. The crowd was jeering at the taunting but went silent as he started circling her. Standing before him she stood there appearing to be without weapons. As she reached in the fold of her Hanfu and her arms flung outward he deflected the Kunai but grimaced as the second one she threw delivered a gash along his thigh. “One” She called out loud enough for everyone but with obvious control. Keeping one hand ready to throw a Kunai she drew her Wakizashi. She threw another Kunai but he deflected it with ease. She prodded his defences a little tapping his shield as she darted in and out of his reach. He tried to attack her three times but every time he payed for it with a scratch on his arm. “Two, three, four.” It resounded. The crowd would be cheering were it not for the tension that cut the air that silenced them. She retreated again and started circling him quickly. He swiped at her again and she evaded the business end of his axe by barely a hair as she darted behind him and called. “Five, six, seven, eight.” As four more marks could be seen on his back. This continued for five minutes the count standing on fifty three but she herself had also received a blow with the shield, a cut across the chest and a hefty bruise on her forearm where she had caught the heft of his axe. He had turned scarlet at this point as he had thrown away his shield to hold his axe in two hands as they were slippery from his own blood. The entire time the crowd was silent and at the edge of their seat. Waiting for a deciding move. That came when she darted close once more but he surprised her by dropping his axe and grappling her. She slashed out with her Wakizashi but hit nothing as he threw her across the arena against the wall. He picked up his axe once more and approached the dazed Scarlet once more. It looked finished as he swung to strike her down. He buckled over however as she darted through his legs striking his seedpods. She spun around and cut his legs and he fell to the ground. “54, 55, 56.” She yanked his axe away from him and when he tried to strike her with his hand all he got was four more deep gashes in his arms. “57, 58, 59, 60” She pinned him to the ground with her blade to his throat. “I didn't even get to a hundred, you disappoint me eunich.” She then took the flower out of her hair and forced it down his throat. The crowd was absolutely wild at this point. Cirdan was smiling as she walked back to the cisterns but Pinter looked a bit worried as he realized she might have just killed one of his best fighters. Whatever happened she did not find out as he was never spoken of again except when regaling his humiliating defeat.

She found herself tested however as her schedule became a hell and deadly. She survived however and her focus even more apparent. That's when a week ago when Cirdan told her to take the pouch of gold he had with him and escape to the surface. When she asked why, he told her that her next fight would be her death. Pinter wanted her gone so he pitted her against the cities champion bearing the name evicerator. Running from the fight balked against her instincts but she listened to Cirdan. She got one of the pits gate to the rest of the undercity where she was stopped by two guards. They knew who she was but we're still fooled at letting their guard down as they saw no weapons but just her small frame. She struck them down and ran not knowing if they were dead or not.
When she reached the surface it was night in the city of waterdeep and she had no idea where she was. Wandering the castle ward for a little while she noticed an inn. She had heard rumours of the jawning portal. Not know where to go she snuck around the back and entered through the back door in an unguarded moment. She sat down at one of the tables when only shortly later a man already well into his drink suddenly shifted behind her and put his arm around her groping. A few seconds later he laid on the ground in a fetal position screaming. “My balls, **** my balls.” Two other Cap and Thorgun were right there ready to intervene but they started laughing as they saw the scene. They pick him up and throw him out on the street. Durnan the inkeep came over to her asking what happened. He chuckled breaking into laughter when she suggested she should be hired as a bouncer. He let her stay with Cap buying her a drink. Throughout the rest of the night she spoke little with the others in the tavern but she saw a young man, one of the servers, about her age which she later learned was kettle come by her table more than necessary. As the night closed and he came by again she asked rather rudely what his deal was and if he wanted the same treatment. To her surprise he made her an offer. She could stay in the tavern and he would pay the rent until she found a job and a party. She was a bit suspicious about him not asking anything in return but decided she would deal with that later. Her life changed rapidly a few days later when a most curious party assembled.

TLDR: She has been a slave and a fighter all her life and now she has freedom
At present her main Motivation is to stay out of the hands of the pit owners and stay alive. For her future motivations the Player has indicated a potential for revenge and also settling down to a normal life.
She is an extremely blunt and crude girl since she has been raised in fighting pits all her life, she swears like a sailor. A little like Samalyn she does not quiet fully understand some things about normal life and above ground as she rarely has seen it, for example she knows what a horse is......but doesn't know how to operate one or even how to handle animals. Because of their shared lack of experience and both being very blunt her and Samalyn have bonded
I decided to give her this item for two reasons. One she is used to fighting alone so the idea of a tool that has her back amused me, also she really has no concept of money and value of items, she cares just for the fight so I think something that would allow her to sacrifice wealth for a greater advantage works wonders
In her backstory, her trainer, mentor and Quartermaster Cirdan gave her, her first dagger. I was thinking that possibly this could be a family heirloom of his lost in a famous battle and recovered by the Solar as a gift.

Yib-Jip Emeraldvein, The gloryseeking Paladin
He is the true 'Romantic Knight' he a gnome knight of Larue (Knight of the Unicorn) quests for the love of Grumlish Duskfeather a 22 year old Goliath woman whom he tried to 'save' from muggers in waterdeep, she however kicked all of their arses, including his. He is on a quest to impress her with tales of his bravery and gift her many a magic item to win her heart. In doing so he also impresses Larue, his god.
In short terms...**** Money, Get Bitches, or the other way around. He is looking to impress the girl he loves
Foolhardy which he disgusies as bravery, he'll kick in th door because he truly beleives he is untouchable and a brilliant fighter. He doesn't cre to look for traps and will not hesitate to holler a battlecry, much to the chargrin of the sneakier characters. He beleives everyone should behave proper and the women should be ladylike and not swear.....which they do, alot. He abhors the undead and everything about them
Since he is meant to be the 'tank' and 'healer' of the group I thought giving him his Lay on Hands ability more often would be good but not enough to take away from Samalyn also I was thinking of possibly scaling his item so it becomes more powerful if he works with Samalyn since they are both representatives of gods and they current grate on each other. Amuses me to know end.
A gift from Larue, given to Selune then to the Solar

Eltasain Jhaelen, the Unhealthy Necromancer
Warning Long Post AheadEltasain looked over his regimentally aligned newborn sailors. Each was salt white and without blemish (except for the odd sign of past bone trauma, but that could hardly be helped) - pristine no less. In preparation for market, he had taken the liberty of sorting them by height before binding their wrists - a symbolic act more than a practical one. He hoped his commander and master in the mystical arts - the red wizard and master of the school of necromancy in Bezantur, Kapaonik - would be suitably impressed by his eye for detail.

The concept of boiling the corpses before animation, astoundingly, had never occurred to his master and so Eltasain’s suggestion was considered a groundbreaking innovation in the whole production process. Eltasain couldn’t help but wonder if Kapaonik had ever had to strip a corpse to the bone using only a knife - such an innovation seemed obvious to the apprentice who had spent many a long hour doing exactly that. The investment in setting up the process was minimal - a vast black iron cauldron and a dedicated team of undead water carriers that filled all manner of pots and pans with sea water and carried them into the main boiling room. There Eltasain and a number of other apprentices would heat the main cauldron with evocation cantrips - thereby practicing their art in the process. Once sufficiently hot, a second team of undead would carry the fresh corpses up the vast ramp to the lip of the cauldron and push them into the boiling water. A large spigot had been set at the base of the cauldron and so, after several hours of boiling, one of the apprentices would wrap their hands in cloth and open the spigot - being careful to avoid the rush of boiling water and flesh that would spill from within.
Then came the grotesque task of cleaning the bones of stubborn flesh and the even more foul task of brushing the cauldron floor clear of debris in preparation for the next batch. Eltasain, as much as he hated cauldron duties, actually didn’t mind the bone cleaning. He took particular pride in cleaning, polishing and arranging the skeletons in complete ‘sets’ ready for animation.

From a moral standpoint, Eltasain was ambivalent at worst to the whole process. The corpses of deceased slaves being used to man both trade and war galleys meant less need for fresh slaves at the oars. Not that Eltasain was entirely horrified by slavery. Slavery was part and parcel of life in Thay. His mother had been one, or so he heard, and until very recently he had part-owned one himself - the Algarondian woman Serril. He and his fellow apprentices had purchased her between them for a few silvers some months back. A pleasant enough creature she had cleaned their rooms and their work clothes - an entirely unpleasant task at the best of times. It was no secret that some of the other apprentices had used her for other means - something that Eltasain found himself being incredibly resentful of. Against his better judgment, his fellow apprentices had voted to sell her two days ago. The decision was no reflection on the girl - her work had been exemplary and accompanied with only minimal crying - but the price of slaves had spiked for some unknown reason and his fellow apprentices were keen to make good on their investment - even if it meant cleaning their own possessions until the market settled. Eltasain thought such rash action a mistake - the girl had been pleasant, likable even. Once over her shock at being purchased by the school of necromancy, she had been talkative and good company when pressed. Tearful, obviously - no one wished to be a slave - but Eltasain had done his best to make her life as pleasant as possible. He had purchased her spare clothes and blankets and would squirrel away uneaten food and treats for her. Eltasain couldn’t help but find himself attracted to the woman and many nights he would call her to his room to present her with his gifts - minor comforts in a life of misery though they be and in return, she would speak of her simple, yet pleasant life before being captured by slavers. Perhaps it was the far more gruesome visions that walked the school of necromancy, but much to Eltasain’s delight, Serril never seemed to show shock at his appearance.

Eltasain was tall and incredibly thin - unhealthily so. At around 6ft tall he weighed only 120lb - the skin of his face was sunken to reveal his skull, his eyes deep set in their sockets and his cheekbones prominent. More shockingly was his skin and eye colouring. Bone white, almost translucent his skin was both pigment and freckle free. His eyes were large and blood red - like two flaming rubies set into a skull of alabaster. His hair, of which there was little (being shaven-headed in the fashion of many a Thayvian Red Wizard) but his eyebrows and eyelashes, are likewise ghostly white and near transparent. Upon his forehead was the tattooed symbol of the god of death, Myrkul. Customary for all new apprentices at the school of necromancy in Bezantur to wear the symbol, the tattoo was dark red, almost brown and portrayed a skull in a solid triangular field. Several tattoos of flames bursting forward from the back of his skull - in homage to Kossuth - covered his head, though these were less prominent. The apprentices were obliged to at least pay lip service to both of these gods.
His appearance, though frightening to the ignorant was actually an outward indication of his weakness. A rare blood and skin condition, known to some as albinism and to many as ‘deadwalker disorder’ left Eltasain incredibly weak and at times partially blind. It had also saved him from a life of slavery or an early grave. His mother, by all accounts, had been a pleasure slave in one of the many flesh houses of Eltabar. Usually, the children of such slaves are either born to bondage or discarded depending on the whim and the willingness to commit to long-term investment of the slave owner. In the case of Eltasain, his mother’s owner saw his strange appearance as a sign of inherent wizardry and managed to sell him to the school of Necromancy. It being totally unheard of for a slave to be trained in wizardry, he was given his freedom in return for loyalty to the necromantic school - a school that Eltasain, by chance, happened to have a natural talent for…

Pulling his thoughts back to the present, Eltasain once again admired his newly formed skeletal crew. One could argue that a cleanly picked, highly polished bone-white skeleton loses some of its inherent fear factor on the battlefield - but such a consideration was irrelevant when creating galley crew. These could row as well as any living creature, without food, tirelessly and without carrying the rotten flesh and decay of the grave upon them that a more hastily animated corpse would. A good days work indeed. He only wished he had the power to cast the animation spell himself - but alas, such was far beyond him and instead fell to the red wizardess Melzetiana of Eltabar, Kapaonik’s understudy and sometime lover.

Passing through the packed streets of Bezantur, his 20 skeletal charges marching in formation behind him, he set off for the slave markets accompanied by a number of other apprentices and guards. In the distance, marching towards him he could see a line of newly purchased living slaves approaching, accompanied as they were by several human and gnoll guards as well as a few red robed individuals. He pondered the price fluctuations of the slave market - how could it be that prices for living slaves rose even as master Kapaonik flooded the market with undead slaves? Surely the increased supply would reduce the price of living slaves - especially ones destined for the war galleys and trader cogs of Thay.

As these thoughts swirled around his mind, the approaching slave lines started to pass him and it was with shock that he recognized the Algarondian slave woman Serrill being pushed along by his fellow apprentice Ferriandalin. The ugly, squat fat wizard was an easy man to dislike - but his natural affinity with the forces of life and death had seen him rise within the ranks in record quick time. Like Eltasain, he had shown no interest in using the body of the slave girl Serrill for pleasure but unlike Eltasain, it was rumored at least, this was due to his preference for cold flesh for such sport…

Seeing Eltasain’s shock at seeing the woman, Ferriandalin grinned ‘’And to think you thought you’d miss her… I’ll wager you never thought you would be cleaning and polishing her bones before the day is through…’’
Eltasain felt bile rose in his throat. It was one thing to purchase the corpses of recently deceased slaves and bring them to market as undead workers - it was entirely another to mass purchase living slaves and murder them for resale at a - albeit ever-dwindling - profit.
By the time he returned to the cauldron room, he had already determined that come nightfall he needed to flee the city, the country even if necessary. No longer could he be part of this operation, his part in it filling him with self-loathing.

As he cleaned and polished the bones of the newly animated corpses, his enthusiasm and pride in his work had all but evaporated and it took an immense force of will to not look upon the skeletal crew and wonder which had been only hours before his slave, and indeed friend, Serrill of Algarond.

TLDR VERSION: Eltasain is an Ex-Wizard of Thay whom discovered a new technique of excarnation which meant the Thayan wizards rather than using old corpses could just kill their slaves and use their bones. In doing this he inadvertently got a friend of his killed so he escaped the country and he thinks the Thay are after him.
Stay alive, Stay away from the Thay, Gain knowledge and possibly rescue his 'love'
He is a true intellectual when it comes to debate, he sees the dead as a tool nothing more and he is fascinated with human anatomy from a medical stand point thus it makes him seem cold, he is also extremely unhealthy (Con of 8)
In all honesty, looked into the history of Thay and found out in 3.5 that some Thayan enemies could basically cast together using spell slots from lesser magicians to create more powerful spells. I wanted something like this but thought it would be too much so I thought about Thayan tattoo's which were mentioned in Lore
Special ink derived from Sazz Tam's blood

Hope this helps!

thoroughlyS
2018-06-21, 09:19 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply, life has been moving pretty fast this past week. Below is an attempt at an item for Kairon; I'll post ideas for the others as I go. The base concept I'm working off of is to increase the power of the item at each tier. At tier 1, the item should be as powerful as an uncommon item. At tier 2, it gets buffed to be about as good as two uncommon items. At tier 3, it should gain about a rare item's worth of abilities. In total these should be as good as two uncommon and one rare item, but only cost one attunement slot.

Eye of Mind Gazing
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement, spellcaster)
This heavy medallion features a 2-inch chunk of polished tiger's eye set in a twisted frame of wrought iron. It functions as a medallion of thoughts.
Prying Thoughts. Beginning at 5th level, this medallion has 7 charges and regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. While wearing this medallion, you know the crown of madness and detect thoughts spells. You can use an action and expend 2 charges to cast either spell from it, using your spell save DC.
Paralyzing Stare. Beginning at 11th level, This medallion has 15 charges and regains 2d6 + 3 expended charges daily at dawn. While wearing this medallion, you can use an action and expend 5 charges to cast hold monster from it, using your spell save DC. While the target is paralyzed, you can reads its thoughts as with the detect thoughts spell.

Optionally:

The tiger's eye is one of the 333 gems of Tharizdun.
Add darkness to the list of spells you can cast.
Eternal Darkness. While wearing this medallion, small flames within 30 feet of you are instantaneously extinguished.
Curse. This medallion is cursed, and becoming attuned to it extends the curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you suffer from long-term madness. At the end of each long rest, roll on the long-term madness table to determine what form your madness takes. This madness lasts for 2d10 hours.

My main focus for this design is quite obviously the detect thoughts spell. I figure that this is a good spell for a 'wildcard' who likes to interrogate people. Because spells cast from magic items require no components, he can use it in more situations to hopefully steer them in the party's favor (or his own). I capped it off with some very powerful combat functionality. I decided to remove some of the elements of this item so that it wasn't so heavily tied to the character. Dropping five tailor made items into the party's lap would seem awfully convenient, and could break immersion. I've moved these to a separate list, which I'll try to include for each item, so you can add back in one or two of them if you think it's appropriate.

Fishyninja
2018-06-22, 01:54 PM
Hmm I like it. It will be interesting as he is a mad character anyway so I do not think he would mind the madness. I am estimating 3 to 4 sessions before they get to the point where I want to give them this kit.

thoroughlyS
2018-06-24, 03:02 AM
Night White Mantle
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement, spellcaster)
This mantle is made of midnight blue velvet and embroidered with seven silver stars. You can use it as a spellcasting focus for your spells. You know the ceremony spell and can expend 1 charge to cast it from this mantle.
This mantle has 3 charges and regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dusk. While wearing it and concentrating on a spell that targets only other creatures, you can use an action and expend 1 charge to cast the cure wounds spell from it, using your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell targets every creature under the effect of the spell you are concentrating on.
Moon's Serenity. Beginning at 5th level, this mantle has 7 charges and regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dusk. While wearing it, when you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, you can expend 1 charge to cast the protection from evil and good or sanctuary spell from this mantle on that creature, using your spell save DC and requiring no action.
Restoration. Beginning at 11th level, this mantle has 13 charges and regains 2d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dusk. In addition, it regains 1 charge when you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature and their current hit points would exceed their hit point maximum. While wearing this mantle, you can spend 1 minute and expend 5 charges to cast the commune spell from it, always receiving an answer.

Optionally:

You can use an action to determine which way is north.
You can use an action to cast the dancing lights spell from this mantle at will, no concentration required. These lights disappear if you cast the spell in this way again.
Night's Calling. Beginning at 5th level, you do not need to sleep during a long rest.
Because of the character's backstory, I figured this item could be more closely tailored to them, which took a lot of thought. I asked a friend of mine for their help with this and we decided to have the item's focus be on helping the common man. Allowing the character to cast ceremony seemed appropriate. The second property promotes buffing allies with spells like bless or a twinned shield of faith. Moon's Serenity also makes buffing easier in combat. Finally, the last property is supposed to represent how far the character has come, thus the name. It also gives a thematic way to regain charges on the item.Bracers of the Battle Dancer
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)
These leather cuffs are adorned with golden studs and each wrapped with a 3-foot scarlet silk strip which unfurls to trail behind the bracers as they move. They have 3 charges and regain 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn. While wearing them, you can use an action and expend 1 or more charges to cast the magic missile spell from them. For 1 charge, you cast the 1st-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. In addition, when you make an attack, you can create a magical dagger in your empty hand. If you drop the dagger or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn.
Sublime Blade Works. Beginning at 5th level, these bracers have 7 charges and regain 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. While wearing them, you can use an action and expend 2 charges to cast one of the following spells from it: cloud of daggers, shadow blade, or spiritual weapon (+6 attack bonus, +3 damage bonus).
1000 Steps and Cuts. Beginning at 11th level, a dagger created by these bracers functions as a sword of wounding. Only one dagger can benefit from this property at a time.

Optionally:

The bracers are decorated with patterns of crocus blossoms.
Replace shadow blade with blur on the list of spells you can cast.
Crocus Blooms. Beginning at 5th level, these bracers exude a subtle yet pleasant scent, placating those around you. You have advantage on Persuasion checks.
As with the gem of mind gazing, I decided to pick a focus and build on it at each tier. This time I focused on daggers, based on your original proposal, including having an animated weapon via the spiritual weapon spell. One minor difference between the two is the tier 2 property offers three spells, but the lack of components matters less for these obvious effects. In addition, Scarlet can't cast the spell herself and when the charges run out she is done, as opposed to Kairon, who can still cast those spells using slots. The bigger difference comes at tier 3, where Kairon gets more charges, but Scarlet gets a permanent buff.Whitehorn
Weapon (longsword), legendary (requires attunement, paladin)
This elegant weapon consists of a 3-foot haft of yew wood crested by a 2-foot alicorn. Whitehorn is a magic weapon which deals piercing damage. You can use it as a spellcasting focus for your spells. It has 3 charges and regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dusk. When you use Lay on Hands, you can target a creature within 10 feet of you by touching them with the alicorn. In addition, you can expend 1 charge and the target regains the maximum number of hit points possible from any healing until the end of your next turn.
Unicorn Magic. Beginning at 5th level, Whitehorn has 7 charges and regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dusk. While holding it, you can expend 2 charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC: calm emotions, misty step, or pass without trace.
Celestial Charger. Beginning at 11th level, if you move at least 20 feet straight toward a target and then hit it with Whitehorn on the same turn, the target takes an extra 2d8 damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Optionally:

Change it from a longsword to a rapier.
You can use an action to cast the vicious mockery spell at will.
Treasure Seeker. Beginning at 5th level, you can use an action to cast the detect magic or locate object spell from Whitehorn. This property of Whitehorn can't be used again until the next dusk.
This item is a little all over the place. The first property is based on your desire to have both healers working in concert. The other two properties are based on the Unicorn stat block from the Monster Manual. They supplement the paladin's casting and provide a nice combat option which meshes well with the character.

Fishyninja
2018-06-26, 01:10 PM
Hey sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been away over the weekend. All I have to say is thank you! These are so good!

Out of interest did you think of anything for the Necromancer, he is obsessed with Anatomy if that helps.

thoroughlyS
2018-06-26, 09:17 PM
Animus Bottle
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement, not construct or undead)
This heavy glass bottle is capped with a rubber seal and seems to be empty. Once a creature has attuned to the bottle, a mote of energy glows dimly inside. The bottle has 3 charges and regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn. You can unseal the bottle as an action, releasing the mote which can perform simple tasks, as with the unseen servant spell. If you reseal the bottle, any effect created by it ends and the mote reappears inside the bottle. You can't use any properties of the bottle while it is unsealed. When you unseal the bottle, you can expend 1 charge to cast the enhance ability spell from it.
Vital Force. Beginning at 5th level, this bottle has 7 charges and regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. When you unseal it, you can spend 1 minute and expend 3 charges to cast the speak with dead or tiny servant spell from it.
Propagation. Beginning at 11th level, this bottle has 13 charges and regains 2d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. When you unseal it, you can use an action and expend 5 charges to cast animate objects from it. In addition, you can have up to 7 spell levels worth of effects active concurrently before you can't use any properties of the bottle.
For example, you could unseal the bottle and cast enhance ability, and then also cast tiny servant without having to reseal the bottle.

Optionally:

This bottle was stolen from the Red Wizards.
Replace animate objects with danse macabre.
Restoration. When you unseal the bottle, you can expend all remaining charges to cast the resurrection spell from it. Doing so causes the bottle to lose its magic.

Fishyninja
2018-06-27, 07:19 AM
Animus Bottle
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement, not construct or undead)
This heavy glass bottle is capped with a rubber seal and seems to be empty. Once a creature has attuned to the bottle, a mote of energy glows dimly inside. The bottle has 3 charges and regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn. You can unseal the bottle as an action, releasing the mote which can perform simple tasks, as with the unseen servant spell. If you reseal the bottle, any effect created by it ends and the mote reappears inside the bottle. You can't use any properties of the bottle while it is unsealed. When you unseal the bottle, you can expend 1 charge to cast the enhance ability spell from it.
Vital Force. Beginning at 5th level, this bottle has 7 charges and regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. When you unseal it, you can spend 1 minute and expend 3 charges to cast the animate dead or tiny servant spell from it.
Propagation. Beginning at 11th level, this bottle has 13 charges and regains 2d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. When you unseal it, you can use an action and expend 5 charges to cast animate objects from it. In addition, you can have up to 7 spell levels worth of effects active concurrently before you can't use any properties of the bottle.
For example, you could unseal the bottle and cast enhance ability, and then also cast animate dead without having to reseal the bottle.

Optionally:

This bottle was stolen from the Red Wizards.
Replace animate objects with danse macabre.
Restoration. When you unseal the bottle, you can expend all remaining charges to cast the resurrection spell from it. Doing so causes the bottle to lose its magic.

Ok I really like this one as well I would swap the Animate dead for Tiny servant spell as he already has a magic item that raises the dead!

Ok I have to say it once again to everyone who has posted, thank you so much fr this, these are much better than my ideas but now from seeing the way that items can grow in power I can take those lessons and apply them for the next group!

thoroughlyS
2018-06-28, 12:59 AM
... but now from seeing the way that items can grow in power I can take those lessons and apply them for the next group!
This is just one method for scaling items, which I came up with very quickly. No testing has been done, so be careful about trying to implement it anywhere, even in your current campaign. Seriously, I expect that these items will significantly affect the power curve of your game. Just try not to overcompensate with more difficult encounters; you don't want an accidental TPK.

Fishyninja
2018-06-28, 01:04 PM
This is just one method for scaling items, which I came up with very quickly. No testing has been done, so be careful about trying to implement it anywhere, even in your current campaign. Seriously, I expect that these items with significantly affect the power curve of your game. Just try not to overcompensate with more difficult encounters; you don't want an accidental TPK.

Well I'm going to give it a go, luckily the group I play with are all experienced DM's and have said they are more than happy for me to change stuff if it is Overpowered.