PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Savant concept

8wGremlin
2018-06-04, 04:00 PM
Need your thoughts and help with a concept.

A Sorcerer subclass that picks one school of magic (Abjuration, Conjuration, Evocation etc)

They get to pick ONLY those types of spells, but can pick from ANY spell list.
They get the wizards school Arcane Tradition at the same level

For instance:
an Abjuration Savant, could pick 'Armor of Agathys' and 'Snare' as 1st level spells.

Is this too limiting, to powerful, what are your thoughts?

AvvyR
2018-06-04, 04:04 PM
I hope you're cool with Conjuration spec's being terrifying and unstoppable.

PhantomSoul
2018-06-04, 04:14 PM

Well, even with only the PHB, that's a pretty spectacular list... and Wish is just the icing on the cake!

Acid Splash, Mage Hand, Poison Spray, Produce Flame, Arms of Hadar, Ensnaring Strike, Entangle, Find Familiar, Fog Cloud, Grease, Hail of Thorns, Tenser's Floating Disk, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Find Steed, Flaming Sphere, Misty Step, Web, Call Lightning, Conjure Animals, Conjure Barrage, Create Food and Water, Hunger of Hadar, Revivify, Sleet Storm, Spirit Guardian, Stinking Cloud, Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Dimension Door, Evard's Black Tentacles, Grasping Vine, Guardian of Faith, Leomund's Secret Chest, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Cloudkill, Conjure Elemental, Conjure Volley, Insect Plague, Mass Cure Wounds, Teleportation Circle, Tree Stride, Arcane Gate, Conjure Fey, Drawmij's Instant Summons, Heroes' Feast, Planar Ally, Transport via Plants, Wall of Thorns, Word of Recall, Conjure Celestial, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Plane Shift, Teleport, Demiplane, Incendiary Cloud, Maze, Tsunami, Gate, Mass Heal, Storm of Vengeance, Wish

Limited spells known does help, but wow, that's a beautiful list and some good abilities to go with it -- especially when you add in metamagic!

8wGremlin
2018-06-04, 04:22 PM

Care to elaborate?
I'd like to know your thinking about this?

leogobsin
2018-06-04, 04:43 PM
Really the problem here is that the schools really aren't "balanced" in comparison to each other. On the one end you've got like, Conjuration, which as people have pointed out has a hugely varied and useful set of spells, on the other you've got Divination, where there's only like 2 spells that deal damage at all, and there are literally no 7th or 8th level Divination spells. Some schools are gonna be extremely powerful, others barely functional.