PDA

View Full Version : Optimization New BladeLock: what to choose at 4th level?

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-04, 06:48 PM
I'm playing a new character: Half-elf FeyLock BladePact. STR 9, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 18 (I rolled rather well, for once.)

I'm at first level now. I'll be taking Armor of Shadows and Agonizing Blast (yeah, real original) at 2nd level, swapping out AgBlast for Improved Pact Weapon at 3rd level. Because I can do 1d8+5 with a Pact Bow, or 1d10+4 with AgBlast; one's magical piercing and one's force damage. If I score some magical armor (no idea if that'll happen) I'll keep AgBlast and lose Armor of Shadows instead.

Anyways, I've got my character advancement planned out fairly well until 4th level, then I'm not sure what to do about the ASI/Feat decision.

The obvious choice is +2 DEX, because who doesn't want +1 to attack, damage, initiative, dex saves, and all their dex skills? (I do, I do!!!)

But with my DEX at 18 already, do I need that? What feats should I be looking at for this character at 4th level?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-04, 07:35 PM
I'm playing a new character: Half-elf FeyLock BladePact. STR 9, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 18 (I rolled rather well, for once.)

I'm at first level now. I'll be taking Armor of Shadows and Agonizing Blast (yeah, real original) at 2nd level, swapping out AgBlast for Improved Pact Weapon at 3rd level. Because I can do 1d8+5 with a Pact Bow, or 1d10+4 with AgBlast; one's magical piercing and one's force damage. If I score some magical armor (no idea if that'll happen) I'll keep AgBlast and lose Armor of Shadows instead.

Anyways, I've got my character advancement planned out fairly well until 4th level, then I'm not sure what to do about the ASI/Feat decision.

The obvious choice is +2 DEX, because who doesn't want +1 to attack, damage, initiative, dex saves, and all their dex skills? (I do, I do!!!)

But with my DEX at 18 already, do I need that? What feats should I be looking at for this character at 4th level?

Well if your going for bow use then sharpshooter is a good choice, and so is Elven accuracy.

Not sure what style of combat you prefer tho so nothing wrong with +2 in a stat.

Something to note that many people don’t take advantage of. Pact weapons can turn into nearly any weapon you want so it’s ok to go for a general approach on a bladelock.

Composer99
2018-06-04, 07:37 PM
It seems that the best choices are +2 Dex, for the reasons you have already stated; +2 Cha, to max out your casting stat, or a feat that gives you utility/versatility.

Honestly, I'd go with a feat. Getting new options now, early on in your adventuring career, will probably be more interesting, useful, and fun. Which feat depends upon your role in the party and your conception for your character.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-05, 07:19 PM
Well if your going for bow use then sharpshooter is a good choice, and so is Elven accuracy.

Not sure what style of combat you prefer tho so nothing wrong with +2 in a stat.

Something to note that many people don’t take advantage of. Pact weapons can turn into nearly any weapon you want so it’s ok to go for a general approach on a bladelock.

This looks like the way to go, mainly because the party already has two excellent front-liners. (Fighter and Barbarian) So I'm most likely going to pick Sharpshooter at 4th level. Either +2 Dex or Elven Accuracy at 8th level. The Fey Patron's expanded spell list has some good ways to get advantage: Faerie Fire and Improved Invisibility are both excellent. And if I need to go into melee I can still switch my pact weapon to a rapier.

Vogie
2018-06-06, 02:41 PM
Another option you could use is expanding your utility with something like Martial Adept. Picking up some maneuvers like Trip attack, Disarming attack, Goading attack or Distracting strike gives you another short-rest combat trick.

Trip Attack, specifically, acts as a proto-Eldritch Smite that doesn't use a Warlock Spell Slot, while still increasing damage and attempting to knock the target prone.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-06, 05:34 PM
Another option you could use is expanding your utility with something like Martial Adept. Picking up some maneuvers like Trip attack, Disarming attack, Goading attack or Distracting strike gives you another short-rest combat trick.

Trip Attack, specifically, acts as a proto-Eldritch Smite that doesn't use a Warlock Spell Slot, while still increasing damage and attempting to knock the target prone.

If Martial Adept gave more than one superiority die, I'd consider it. As it's written, with only one die to use, I just can't convince myself it's worth a feat slot. Getting a once per short rest combat maneuver doesn't seem like a good investment compared to the other options available.

werescythe
2018-06-06, 05:41 PM
Well, you are a bladelock, so here is a question. Do you use a lot of spells that require concentration? If so then the Warcaster Feat is a good choice as it makes it easier for you to keep concentrating on those spells if you are being injured in closer combat.

Elven Accuracy is also good because you can either increase your CHR by 1 or your DEX by 1.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-06, 07:48 PM
Well, you are a bladelock, so here is a question. Do you use a lot of spells that require concentration? If so then the Warcaster Feat is a good choice as it makes it easier for you to keep concentrating on those spells if you are being injured in closer combat.

Elven Accuracy is also good because you can either increase your CHR by 1 or your DEX by 1.

Yes, I'll be using concentration spells. I've got a 16 CON so my base save is +3 and I'm mainly going to use ranged spells and archery. Warcaster is an excellent feat but I don't expect to need it much.