PDA

View Full Version : Options for an Old Melee character with bad Strength and Dexterity?

Talionis
2018-06-04, 08:02 PM
Looking for a fun optimized melee character. Something AL legal.

Zonugal
2018-06-04, 08:08 PM
Perhaps try to shift your combat modifier to a mental stat? You can do this for either Wisdom or Charisma in one level.

Aett_Thorn
2018-06-04, 08:08 PM
Well, with bad Str AND bad Dex, but you still want optimized...probably going to have to go Hexblade Warlock.

Finieous
2018-06-04, 08:09 PM
Moon Druid!

Naanomi
2018-06-04, 08:10 PM
Nature Cleric... Hill Dwarf... pointbuy stats like 8/8/17/14/16/10

smcmike
2018-06-04, 08:11 PM
Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric - Heavy armor with no penalty, wisdom for hittin people.

Joe the Rat
2018-06-04, 08:47 PM
Variant Human Warlock, any flavor.
Crossbow expert.
Point Blank Eldritch Blast.
Equally effective from 0-120 feet.

Hexblade would be very easy. I don't use Hexblade.
So I went for a cantripspammer. V Human, Fiend Tomelock, moderately armored. Scale and shield, dex 12, 17AC. Booming blade, greenflame blade. AoA and Arms of Hadar, Misty step for mobility. Picked up shillelagh and thorn whip @3. Hits like a cleric, only harder.

But honestly, Nature Cleric or Druid would make for a good "old guy" melee, using wisdom in close. Or being a bear.

Haldir
2018-06-04, 08:58 PM
Magic Initiate for Shillelagh.

Sentinel for some sweet lockdown abilities that don't require you to have a ton in the way of damage.

Angelalex242
2018-06-04, 09:08 PM
Alternatively: Leave your strength and dex high, and be any of Druid, Monk, or Oath of Ancients Paladin. Screw you, age!

Vogie
2018-06-04, 09:52 PM
It isn't AL legal, but Stone Sorcerer 1/ Hexblade X will allow you to be a Melee fighter with 20 AC while dumping both Dex & Str.

Stone's Durability Gives AC equivalent to 13 +Con, specifically allowing you to wield a shield (+2). So, 20 CON = 20 AC.
Hex Warrior allows you to use Charisma in lieu of your Dex/Str.

werescythe
2018-06-04, 09:55 PM

If they have a high Charisma they could be a Hexblade warlock.

AvvyR
2018-06-04, 09:59 PM
Paladin Oath of Conquest. Don't worry about STR or doing damage. Tank and control. Crank up CHA to take maximum advantage of those crippling fear effects. The extra stat points you'll enjoy will net you good mental stats to facilitate a tactical genius, a planner of long plans to better kingdoms and topple entrnched foes.

opaopajr
2018-06-05, 06:04 AM
A lot of ideas work. What did you envision?

I mean, even a regular human with point buy pushed onto the remaining stats is still strong. You'll find after four 13s you'll still have 7 points left over to spend.

Even taking a Fighter with low STR & DEX and Protection style you'll still be useful. At the very least you can Help during combat, Dodge and be an obstacle, or even use your OA reaction to Grapple or Shove (and better if you have the Athletics skill).

Most players are not very good beyond button mashing, so being that old fogie talking in combat and helping out could easily carry its weight. Remember, you always have that One Interact with the Environment, too.

What exactly do you want to do?

Unoriginal
2018-06-05, 06:36 AM
How low do you define "bad" STR and DEX? 8? 10? 12?

Naanomi
2018-06-05, 07:09 AM
Tortle is also a possibility to consider in the mix, a tortle Hexblade or Shillelagh user

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-05, 07:12 AM
Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric - Heavy armor with no penalty, wisdom for hittin people.
Pretty much this. As others have said, there are plenty of ways to attack with a mental stat, but it's hard to get a functioning AC without at least one decent physical stat-- Dwarf + heavy armor is probably your best bet there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, or Tortle, though I don't know if they're AL legal.

Edit 2: Naanomi is right-- Tortle is both AL legal and counts as being from Xanathar's for the purposes of your +1 book. Given that they have 17 base AC as a racial ability and a racial +1 to Wisdom, you're pretty much perfectly poised to go with Shillelagh. Either grab Magic Initiate as a Fighter or Ranger or dip Druid. Either way, Polearm Master is a good follow-up, provided you don't mind the silliness of one-handed-quarterstaff-and-shield.

tieren
2018-06-05, 08:16 AM
I like the idea of going for the warlock levels, could even be role played as seeking out more melee power as his strength faded later in life, so he was willing to make a deal...

Personally though I'd go with shillelagh, either magic initiate (similar to the warlock background he went looking for another way), or even perhaps some druid levels if he was a woodsman or something to start and applied his wisdom in that direction as he aged.

I wouldn't go the dwarf/cleric route as I don't think it plays to the age angle well, even a young character of that type would attack that way, plus to be an old dwarf you have to be really really old.

Citan
2018-06-05, 09:00 AM
Hey! ;)

Sorry my suggestion will be fun/fluff first, although it should be fairly optimal overall.

Go Battlemaster, with at least Magic Initiate: Druid feat for Shillelagh.

Battlemaster screams the die-hard old soldier that has usually trouble hitting things because eyesight got blurry and body got stiff, but can still get a few shining moments when forgetting about dorsal hurt and move again as in his peak.

Commander's Strike obviously, otherwise Precision, Trip and Evasive.

Because AL legal, I cannot suggest a dip into Rogue for Expertise. You could either dip into Swords Bards or just be a Half-Elf and grab Prodigy, so you also get Expert in one skill of your choice that would reflect what you see as a forte for an old soldier.

Thanks to Shillelagh, you can safely pump WIS so you can dip into Cleric IF (and IF ONLY) you're interested into making that character have ties with religion and deities (which is fairly credible, people tend to think more about those kind of things as death slowly creeps by with aging).

GlenSmash!
2018-06-05, 10:43 AM
One level of Fighter for Heavy Armor then go hexblade.

Moon Druid.

Nature Cleric, or other means of getting Shillelagh.

Lombra
2018-06-05, 10:48 AM
Battlemaster fighter focused on absorbing hits and using manouvers to aid the allies, a close feeling to a warlord.

Unoriginal
2018-06-05, 11:25 AM
You could go Paladin, too. And concentrate on CON and the mental stats to be the party's face/tank, aka the CONman.

Now, maybe a lifetime as a public speaker and scholar didn't leave you the strongest swordsman, and you ain't as spry as you used to be, but you still have your fighting skills, under all that rust, your sharp, perceptive mind and your silver tongue, which never dulled, and above all your iron will, stronger than the hardest steel.

Granted you'll tire easily once your Smites are spent, but if Gawain could fight Lancelot at the age of 76, why couldn't you?

Beside you'll still have your Aura.

Citan
2018-06-05, 12:09 PM
You could go Paladin, too. And concentrate on CON and the mental stats to be the party's face/tank, aka the CONman.

Now, maybe a lifetime as a public speaker and scholar didn't leave you the strongest swordsman, and you ain't as spry as you used to be, but you still have your fighting skills, under all that rust, your sharp, perceptive mind and your silver tongue, which never dulled, and above all your iron will, stronger than the hardest steel.

Granted you'll tire easily once your Smites are spent, but if Gawain could fight Lancelot at the age of 76, why couldn't you?

Beside you'll still have your Aura.
True.
Funny how when seeing opening post I turned my mind to heavily martial classes, hence the Battlemaster.

But OP if you don't mind / like the associated fluff, Paladin is indeed another very good choice. Especially the Devotion Paladin for a level 1-10 character (you can still hit pretty decently thanks to Sacred Weapon when necessary) or Ancients for higher level especially if you plan on going as far as 18 (yummy 30-feet resistance).

Or you could mix and match any of the suggestions so far and still end (most cases ^^) with a powerful build really that's what's beautiful about 5e. ^^

Talionis
2018-06-05, 12:55 PM
My default when I am trying to optimize a character, especially one I am intentionally trying to hamstring is to multiclass. Normally by multiclassing you gain a lot more and that lot more could be used to optimize.

But with this scenario, all the good martial/melee classes require 13 in strength or dex in order to multiclass. Rogue, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Barbarian all require 13 in either strength or dex to multiclass.

Leaving me with Bard or Warlock if I want to get Extra Attacks. Cleric can fight in melee and has ways to make up for the lack of Extra Attack. Druid can perform well in melee, but doesn't get Extra Attack. Bard can be eliminated because you can't get your To Hit stat not to key off an cognative stat.

But if I don't multiclass then I am not restricted with minimum scores. (A little bit of a strange logic... Why is strength more important and more of a requirement for a Paladin that wants to dip into Bard than it is for a single class Paladin?) I do accept that's the rules though.

More and more I thinking that while its hard to envision a Ranger without Dex, a Paladin without Strength works remarkably well. I am slightly intrigued by the idea of building a Rogue with Dexterity too. I am a little worried about AC with a Rogue, especially if I don't have Dexterity.

So I'd listen to ideas about Paladins without Strength or Dexterity or Rogue's without Dexterity. I am okay with Shillelagh as my attack option and realize that probably also puts me into Polearm Mastery.

Naanomi
2018-06-05, 01:00 PM
Club and shield is possible, especially if you are using Booming Blade or the like to support your Shillelagh

Rogues using Magic Stone (for Charisma or Wisdom) are very possible, but not likely totally dumping DEX. A Tortle Inquisitive may work though?

Talionis
2018-06-05, 03:48 PM
My idea is grizzled old guy whose lost a lot of his weight and maybe has some old injuries. Still tough, think Master Yoshi in DBZ without any ability to gain muscles or just the old kung fu masters that always surprise you how well they move. I don't want him to be Wuxia(sp?)

The story line for him that he has survived a lot of battles... and I am sure he was much more strong and skillful, but that in losing his strength and dexterity he has tapped into other abilities. In the vein of losing your sight your hearing gets better... so in losing his strength he went from being mediocre as a warrior to focusing on his mind, which was really much stronger all the time and is now allowing him to be a hero level character. So NPC warrior for most of his life, now at this advanced age finding out that he is a Paladin... or something else if you guys have ideas.

I really am thinking of trying to dump Dex and Strength, so I'm looking at 8's in both. I think it will be fun to optimize and fun to play out.

xroads
2018-06-05, 04:26 PM
Too bad there isn't a "Dashing Swordsman (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html)" subclass yet. :elan:

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-05, 04:42 PM
Is UA on the table? If so, Stone Sorcerer 1 might be just what you need - - it gets you 13+Con AC, no Dex involved, along with martial weapons, shields, and oh, Booming/Green Flame Blade, Shield, and a Smite spell. Combine that with Hexblade or Shillelagh as desired, or even just stick to cantrips like Sword Burst and Shocking Grasp.

Edit: How about vHuman Stone Sorcerer 1/Paladin X with Magic Initiate (Druid) for Shillelagh and Magic Stone, and 16 Wis/Con, 14 Cha, 10 Int and 8 Str/Dex? From there you could advance as a normal Paladin, just with Wis instead of Str. You'd wind up a crazy tough old coot who can't move too well or lift too much but can still beat the snot out of you with their cane.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-05, 04:43 PM
Is UA on the table? If so, Stone Sorcerer 1 might be just what you need - - it gets you 13+Con AC, no Dex involved, along with martial weapons, shields, and oh, Booming/Green Flame Blade, Shield, and a Smite spell. Combine that with Hexblade or Shillelagh as desired, or even just stick to cantrips like Sword Burst and Shocking Grasp.

Ah Stone Sorcerer. One of my favorite UA classes.

Still hoping to see that one published.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-05, 04:56 PM
Ah Stone Sorcerer. One of my favorite UA classes.

Still hoping to see that one published.
I sort of agree, but you'd wind up needing to change almost everything distinctive. It's fun now mostly because it's nuts. (Con-based AC? At-will Heavy Armor Mastery PLUS Extra-attack-with-bonus-damage? +1/2 level to damage even with cantrips? Basically none of that can stay)

GlenSmash!
2018-06-05, 04:58 PM
I sort of agree, but you'd wind up needing to change almost everything distinctive. It's fun now mostly because it's nuts. (Con-based AC? At-will Heavy Armor Mastery PLUS Extra-attack-with-bonus-damage? +1/2 level to damage even with cantrips? Basically none of that can stay)

You are probably right, but different/more balanced mechanics that represent toughness and blunt power through a connection to the Earth would do it for me.

Unoriginal
2018-06-05, 05:06 PM
In any case, your PC doesn't seem like he think age means you have to stop dreaming.

https://i1.wp.com/teaser-trailer.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Man-Who-Killed-Don-Quixote-2018.jpg?ssl=1

Citan
2018-06-05, 06:28 PM
My idea is grizzled old guy whose lost a lot of his weight and maybe has some old injuries. Still tough, think Master Yoshi in DBZ without any ability to gain muscles or just the old kung fu masters that always surprise you how well they move. I don't want him to be Wuxia(sp?)

The story line for him that he has survived a lot of battles... and I am sure he was much more strong and skillful, but that in losing his strength and dexterity he has tapped into other abilities. In the vein of losing your sight your hearing gets better... so in losing his strength he went from being mediocre as a warrior to focusing on his mind, which was really much stronger all the time and is now allowing him to be a hero level character. So NPC warrior for most of his life, now at this advanced age finding out that he is a Paladin... or something else if you guys have ideas.

I really am thinking of trying to dump Dex and Strength, so I'm looking at 8's in both. I think it will be fun to optimize and fun to play out.
Hmm... Then I'll double back and make an all-in on a Battlemaster chassis. :)

Because your description screams old grunt warrior with very little magic involved to me. ^^

Start as a Variant Human to get Magic Initiate from the get go if you wish so, or go Half-Elf (or any other race actually) and get it at 4th level.
Then rack on feats that would translate the accumulated experience and wisdom.
I'd suggest any mix between...
- Alert: because he survived far too many ambushes to being surprisable anymore.
- Sentinel: pairs well with the previous thematically, is always good to have.
- Polearm Master: nice alternative, or combine them.
- Inspiring Leader: because he fought alongside and led men for years.
- Healer: because he couldn't have survived all fights if he didn't learn some things about medicine by himself.
- Mage Slayer: because he survived many confrontations with them.
- Resilient: Wisdom: because, I mean, it's optimization basics. ^^
- Shield Master: good for party, good for you (unless DM follows stupid new ruling).
- Martial Adept: because 1 more die per short rest ought to be nice.
- Observant: because fighting against people, plus natural experience of adventuring made him especially accurate on assessing minds and environment.
- Keen Mind: more YMMV feat but may be put to good use still.
- And any racial feat that you may fancy (note: Half-Elf would allow you to grab BOTH Prodigy -so you can still reliably use Shove/Grapple- and Elven Accuracy -which works with everything except STR, so WIS too, IIRC-).

So...
From pure optimization mechanic, your priorities should be being an Half-Elf with Magic Initiate: Druid (I suggest Longstrider for day spell but honestly many are good) for Shillelagh and whatever (Guidance, Produce Flame, Dancing lights) then aiming for Resilience: Wisdom, and either Sentinel + PAM combo or Prodigy + Shield Master + Elven Accuracy.

But I feel you'll enjoy more your character if you don't push that much fighting opti and instead just pick one among Sentinel, Mage Slayer and PAM then take other feats, possibly overall more useful to your party too. ^^

Also, you shouldn't worry too much: even with dumped STR and DEX, you'll still hit fine enough with Shillelagh. Better, because those dump stats, you can start with 16 in CON and WIS and 14 CHA easily. And you can still wield medium armor (plus potentially shield) for a decent AC overall.
So while you'll grit teeth a bit for the first levels, past some point you will fall on par mostly with other Fighters. :)

Talionis
2018-06-06, 09:25 AM
Hmm... Then I'll double back and make an all-in on a Battlemaster chassis. :)

Because your description screams old grunt warrior with very little magic involved to me. ^^

Start as a Variant Human to get Magic Initiate from the get go if you wish so, or go Half-Elf (or any other race actually) and get it at 4th level.
Then rack on feats that would translate the accumulated experience and wisdom.
I'd suggest any mix between...
- Alert: because he survived far too many ambushes to being surprisable anymore.
- Sentinel: pairs well with the previous thematically, is always good to have.
- Polearm Master: nice alternative, or combine them.
- Inspiring Leader: because he fought alongside and led men for years.
- Healer: because he couldn't have survived all fights if he didn't learn some things about medicine by himself.
- Mage Slayer: because he survived many confrontations with them.
- Resilient: Wisdom: because, I mean, it's optimization basics. ^^
- Shield Master: good for party, good for you (unless DM follows stupid new ruling).
- Martial Adept: because 1 more die per short rest ought to be nice.
- Observant: because fighting against people, plus natural experience of adventuring made him especially accurate on assessing minds and environment.
- Keen Mind: more YMMV feat but may be put to good use still.
- And any racial feat that you may fancy (note: Half-Elf would allow you to grab BOTH Prodigy -so you can still reliably use Shove/Grapple- and Elven Accuracy -which works with everything except STR, so WIS too, IIRC-).

So...
From pure optimization mechanic, your priorities should be being an Half-Elf with Magic Initiate: Druid (I suggest Longstrider for day spell but honestly many are good) for Shillelagh and whatever (Guidance, Produce Flame, Dancing lights) then aiming for Resilience: Wisdom, and either Sentinel + PAM combo or Prodigy + Shield Master + Elven Accuracy.

But I feel you'll enjoy more your character if you don't push that much fighting opti and instead just pick one among Sentinel, Mage Slayer and PAM then take other feats, possibly overall more useful to your party too. ^^

Also, you shouldn't worry too much: even with dumped STR and DEX, you'll still hit fine enough with Shillelagh. Better, because those dump stats, you can start with 16 in CON and WIS and 14 CHA easily. And you can still wield medium armor (plus potentially shield) for a decent AC overall.
So while you'll grit teeth a bit for the first levels, past some point you will fall on par mostly with other Fighters. :)

Thank you for that Citan. You obviously put a lot of work into it. I have always been leery of Battlemaster because of so few uses of Superiority Dice. It feels like it should be spammable or at least spammable at some point similar to Blades Bard. For it to be my characters only gimmick and not be able to use it freely seems boring to me. Maybe it plays differently.

If I do Paladin, I'm not sure which type of Paladin would fit best... I am still looking at Swashbuckler Rogue because that might be interesting to multiclass, but it seems like it would be really hard to get AC and other 8/8 issues fixed.

Unoriginal
2018-06-06, 09:36 AM
You could also go Monk.

High WIS will give you a decent AC, you would still have you ki powers, and you can grab Shillelagh with Magic Initiate and fluff it as "old master knows secrets the youngsters don't".

Would fit Master Roshi, too.

If you don't know which kind of Paladin would fit best, well, what is your character motivated by? Why is he going on an adventure?

GlenSmash!
2018-06-06, 11:12 AM
You could also go Monk.

High WIS will give you a decent AC, you would still have you ki powers, and you can grab Shillelagh with Magic Initiate and fluff it as "old master knows secrets the youngsters don't".

Would fit Master Roshi, too.

Until he reveals those secret big muscles of his.

Citan
2018-06-06, 11:14 AM
Thank you for that Citan. You obviously put a lot of work into it. I have always been leery of Battlemaster because of so few uses of Superiority Dice. It feels like it should be spammable or at least spammable at some point similar to Blades Bard. For it to be my characters only gimmick and not be able to use it freely seems boring to me. Maybe it plays differently.

If I do Paladin, I'm not sure which type of Paladin would fit best... I am still looking at Swashbuckler Rogue because that might be interesting to multiclass, but it seems like it would be really hard to get AC and other 8/8 issues fixed.
I have been sharing that concern about quick depletion of Manoeuvers, because in games I run or play into fights tend to get kinda long, but I countered that (the few times I could playtest a mid-level Battlemaster) by using them sparingly and relying instead on free tactics like Shove or Help.

But many people around here are making different feedbacks, with encounters lasting 3 rounds average, 5 most.

Also, it depends very much on short-rest management and encounter pacing.
A martial party with lots of encounter, you'll get a bit frustrated. But Bards, Sorcerers, Wizards and some Warlocks or Rangers get spells that facilitate short rest taking (Rope Trick, Catnap, Leomund's Tiny Hut) so you may actually enjoy manoeuvers more often than initially anticipated.

In short, YMMV (as with 90% of 5e features XD). :smallbiggrin:

If you like Battlemaster in principle but still feel the fear of lacking fuel is legit, then a multiclass into Gloomstalker Ranger (Rope Trick), Thief Rogue (play with items), Druid (wreak havoc with Heat Metal or Flaming Sphere) or Cleric (take care of others with Healing Words and Sanctuary) will be in order. :=)
(Yeah, I only put bonus action spells here, because you want to keep your Extra Attack obviously).

Temperjoke
2018-06-06, 11:28 AM
You know, if it wasn't for the fact that you wanted an "optimized" melee character, I would suggest an Inquisitive Rogue, since they're all about observation and intelligence. That would fit for an older character who was relying on experience to make up for physical prowess.

Another type to consider is the Eldritch Knight. Over time, you picked up some basic skill with magic that helps make up for the fact that you can't swing a sword quite like you used to. You could describe your spells as "Once I was campaigning with this army, and their wizardess (boy was she a looker) showed me a couple of tricks, one of which for outside the bed..." etc.

Blackbando
2018-06-06, 12:48 PM
Too bad there isn't a "Dashing Swordsman (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html)" subclass yet. :elan:

Isn't Swashbuckler exactly that?

GlenSmash!
2018-06-06, 12:50 PM
Isn't Swashbuckler exactly that?

Close, but I don't think it gets benefits for dropping one liners like the dashing Swordsman :smalltongue:

Vogie
2018-06-06, 01:17 PM
You know, if it wasn't for the fact that you wanted an "optimized" melee character, I would suggest an Inquisitive Rogue, since they're all about observation and intelligence. That would fit for an older character who was relying on experience to make up for physical prowess.

Another type to consider is the Eldritch Knight. Over time, you picked up some basic skill with magic that helps make up for the fact that you can't swing a sword quite like you used to. You could describe your spells as "Once I was campaigning with this army, and their wizardess (boy was she a looker) showed me a couple of tricks, one of which for outside the bed..." etc.

Actually, this isn't bad. Inquisitive Rogue 7 / EK 5 / War Cleric 8

You'll probably have only 14 Dexterity, all other stats going into Con & Mental stats, specifically wisdom.

Old man with Magical appearing Walking stick with the option to use their bonus action to either add a third attack or augment damage with a Insightful Fighting Sneak attack. The old man could wail away with said walking stick, or also summon a shield to their arm as a bonus action for more AC

You could swap out War Cleric for Forge Cleric if you want to swap the Bonus action attack for +1 weapons or +1 AC

Blackbando
2018-06-06, 01:37 PM
Close, but I don't think it gets benefits for dropping one liners like the dashing Swordsman :smalltongue:

At 9th level, your charm becomes extraordinarily beguiling. As an action, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by a creature's Wisdom (Insight) check. The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language.

If you succeed on the check and the creature is hostile to you, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you and can't make opportunity attacks against targets other than you. This effect lasts for 1 minute, until one of your companions attacks the target or affects it with a spell, or until you and the target are more than 60 feet apart.

If you succeed on the check and the creature isn't hostile to you, it is charmed by you for 1 minute. While charmed, it regards you as a friendly acquaintance. This effect ends immediately if you or your companions do anything harmful to it

Panache would beg to differ.

Unoriginal
2018-06-06, 01:54 PM
Actually, this isn't bad. Inquisitive Rogue 7 / EK 5 / War Cleric 8

You'll probably have only 14 Dexterity, all other stats going into Con & Mental stats, specifically wisdom.

Old man with Magical appearing Walking stick with the option to use their bonus action to either add a third attack or augment damage with a Insightful Fighting Sneak attack. The old man could wail away with said walking stick, or also summon a shield to their arm as a bonus action for more AC

You could swap out War Cleric for Forge Cleric if you want to swap the Bonus action attack for +1 weapons or +1 AC

OP wants 8 in DEX, Vogie. So it wouldn't work.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-06, 02:13 PM
Panache would beg to differ.

Touche, sir!

Talionis
2018-06-06, 03:00 PM
I have been sharing that concern about quick depletion of Manoeuvers, because in games I run or play into fights tend to get kinda long, but I countered that (the few times I could playtest a mid-level Battlemaster) by using them sparingly and relying instead on free tactics like Shove or Help.

But many people around here are making different feedbacks, with encounters lasting 3 rounds average, 5 most.

Also, it depends very much on short-rest management and encounter pacing.
A martial party with lots of encounter, you'll get a bit frustrated. But Bards, Sorcerers, Wizards and some Warlocks or Rangers get spells that facilitate short rest taking (Rope Trick, Catnap, Leomund's Tiny Hut) so you may actually enjoy manoeuvers more often than initially anticipated.

In short, YMMV (as with 90% of 5e features XD). :smallbiggrin:

If you like Battlemaster in principle but still feel the fear of lacking fuel is legit, then a multiclass into Gloomstalker Ranger (Rope Trick), Thief Rogue (play with items), Druid (wreak havoc with Heat Metal or Flaming Sphere) or Cleric (take care of others with Healing Words and Sanctuary) will be in order. :=)
(Yeah, I only put bonus action spells here, because you want to keep your Extra Attack obviously).

I am glad I am not the only one and that you see the issue. It is the nice thing about the Blade Bard, that at level 14 it gets to use it the maneuvers at will, but with a smaller dice.

Citan
2018-06-06, 04:54 PM
I am glad I am not the only one and that you see the issue. It is the nice thing about the Blade Bard, that at level 14 it gets to use it the maneuvers at will, but with a smaller dice.
Well, if you see magic being a good fit for your character, Paladin or Swords Bards, as well as Hexblade Warlocks will definitely be good picks (gosh, only CHA classes XD).

Monk was an interesting suggestion, it could actually match your concept well, but the very low AC would make it, to say the least, an *interesting* challenge.

I'll have to advise against Inquisitive Rogue though, mainly (only) because you want an optimized character and, as far as I know, there is no way to get a finesse weapon that doesn't use DEX or STR without multiclassing (which would be de facto out because of dumped DEX).

If none of options above met your interest (neither Battlemaster) then your only options left would be either a Cleric+Druid multiclass, or a pure Ranger with Shillelagh through Magic Initiate. :)

Naanomi
2018-06-06, 05:39 PM
8 STR and DEX...

If you want good AC and melee Attack bonuses...

To attack, need Hexblade, or Shillelagh (Wisdom version from Druid, Nature Cleric, or Magic Initiate... Charisma version from Tome Pact Boone or Magic Secrets)

Need heavy armor (tortle has STR bonus so it’s out)... Hill Dwarf OR take a 10’ Movement penalty (which can be negated with a mount)

———

If you need to be playable from level 1...

Variant Human Fighter, Paladin, or Cleric w/MI: Druid

Variant Human Hexblade w/heavy armor feat

Any race (without STR/DEX bonuses) Nature Cleric

Talionis
2018-06-07, 10:00 AM
8 STR and DEX...

If you want good AC and melee Attack bonuses...

To attack, need Hexblade, or Shillelagh (Wisdom version from Druid, Nature Cleric, or Magic Initiate... Charisma version from Tome Pact Boone or Magic Secrets)

Need heavy armor (tortle has STR bonus so it’s out)... Hill Dwarf OR take a 10’ Movement penalty (which can be negated with a mount)

———

If you need to be playable from level 1...

Variant Human Fighter, Paladin, or Cleric w/MI: Druid

Variant Human Hexblade w/heavy armor feat

Any race (without STR/DEX bonuses) Nature Cleric

Naanomi,

I may need to take the movement penalty, since I'll need the armor and I can't imagine not starting with Magic Initiate feat to get Shillelagh at level 1.

TheUser
2018-06-07, 10:17 AM
You need 14 dex to get the most out of medium armor, and without strength heavy armor slows you 10ft of movement. You need to play a Moon Druid

bobofwestgate
2018-06-07, 10:25 AM

If you have a decent wisdom, you could take magic initiate for shillelegh and play a fighter that spent some time with druids

Naanomi
2018-06-07, 03:03 PM
Naanomi,

I may need to take the movement penalty, since I'll need the armor and I can't imagine not starting with Magic Initiate feat to get Shillelagh at level 1.
Yes, just focus on mounted combat (or... get a spell like Phantom Steed or Find Steed) and it isn’t a big deal at all

Heck, you could be a gnome and ride a dog or pony and not even have much size based limitations

opaopajr
2018-06-07, 03:54 PM
Yes, just focus on mounted combat (or... get a spell like Phantom Steed or Find Steed) and it isn’t a big deal at all

Heck, you could be a gnome and ride a dog or pony and not even have much size based limitations

Small races mounted with Lances are great! Add in Dual Wielder at 4th lvl and wield two Lances for TWF! :smalltongue:

Actually doing a Don Quixote of any race would be solid regardless, and easily AL legal if you needed. Mounts and Lances are good stuff. Carry some ranged, like javelins, and you are good to go!

Also Purple Dragon Knights (baronets) would be strong by minion power projection & your higher CHA. Add Healer or Inspiring Leader feats and it's even better. That and they are expected to be cultured. Almost a tailor made answer to this request.

I'll cook up a Champion or Normal Human for this for the sheer challenge. It'll probably still be decent.

Talionis
2018-06-07, 04:03 PM
I think the penalty for wearing Heavy Armor will work out well for the character that is supposed to be Old anyway. So finding him a mount will be a good some of the time solution, so it doesn't slow everyone down too much. May look to spells like Longstrider to make up the difference too.

This character is starting to make me smile.

opaopajr
2018-06-08, 04:02 AM
It's surprisingly easy to make something flavorful for standard Human with the Quickstart Gear alone.

(Baronet) Fighter Knight
STR 9, DEX 9, CON 13, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 16.

Skills: Nature, Insight, Perception, Persuasion,
Tools: Playing Cards
Languages: Common +2 more

Fighting Style - Protection.

Chain Mail, Shield, and Lance. Keep the Lt. Xbow and Bolts. Buy a Donkey or Mule. And use the spare gold to rent a Untrained Servant to stay back and banter with you.

Voilà, something out of an old medieval story. :smallsmile: