PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Warlock / Sha'ir build

DragonsAion
2018-06-05, 12:13 AM
Ok, So i'm making the above build for a gestalt game starting at level 3 and I was wondering what kind of tips and tricks the playground had to offer? I've been thinking of adding either the Draconic creature or Half-Vampire templates to this but that eats a lot on the LA side of the house.

Anyway, I'm use the warlock to over for the Sha'irs weakness of having to send out their Gen to get spells and was thinking of using the Sha'ir mostly for summoning spells. My current build plan is going into Malconvoker with a one level dip into Paragnostic Apostle for Call of Worlds.

So again are there any tips or tricks that would be useful?

Troacctid
2018-06-05, 12:39 AM
Sha'ir combines well with Warlock because you can take both Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple. That would be my usual inclination for something like this.

Fouredged Sword
2018-06-05, 08:36 AM
Most DM's ban or remove the double progression from classes that have them. I think there is a invocation that grants a large boost to diplomacy. That will help reduce the loss of the Sha'ir's diplomacy checks to retrieve spells.

Warlock 19/sha'ir 1 // sha'ir 10 / malconvoker 10 is a solid build.

DragonsAion
2018-06-05, 09:15 AM
Most DM's ban or remove the double progression from classes that have them. I think there is a invocation that grants a large boost to diplomacy. That will help reduce the loss of the Sha'ir's diplomacy checks to retrieve spells.

Warlock 19/sha'ir 1 // sha'ir 10 / malconvoker 10 is a solid build.

1. Duel Progression is banned in this game.
2. Doesn't Malconvoker only have 9 lvls?

3. Forgot to add that all official books and Mags are allowed.

I'm more interested in feats, spell, and invocation selection tips and help.

Arael666
2018-06-05, 10:20 AM
2. Doesn't Malconvoker only have 9 lvls?

Thats why the other side is 19 warlock/1 sha'ir

Psyren
2018-06-05, 10:40 AM
1. Duel Progression is banned in this game.

By this do you just mean that gestalt is banned, or are all theurge-type prestige classes banned too?

I've been thinking of adding either the Draconic creature or Half-Vampire templates to this but that eats a lot on the LA side of the house.

I wouldn't take anything with LA for this unless your GM is willing to let you buy it off, and even then you don't want to go higher than +2.

DragonsAion
2018-06-05, 01:26 PM
Duel Progression PRC's are banned.

I wasn't too sure about the LA's which was why I was asking.

Psyren
2018-06-05, 01:48 PM
I see.

In that case I would advise against Warlock entirely. Sure you'll be able to eldritch blast while your gen is MIA, but the damage will be pitiful and any invocations you learn will be similarly limited. You'll be better off with a couple of Reserve Feats, some wands or a stave instead. I'd also consider a couple of Pearls so that you can refresh used slots quickly without your gen needing to run off unexpectedly.

Zombulian
2018-06-05, 04:40 PM
I see.

In that case I would advise against Warlock entirely. Sure you'll be able to eldritch blast while your gen is MIA, but the damage will be pitiful and any invocations you learn will be similarly limited. You'll be better off with a couple of Reserve Feats, some wands or a stave instead. I'd also consider a couple of Pearls so that you can refresh used slots quickly without your gen needing to run off unexpectedly.

He said in the OP that this is a Gestalt game.