PDA

View Full Version : I need to make the most annoying character ever

Karsalem
2018-06-05, 11:12 AM
I need ideas on how to make the most annoying player character. and I mean annoying in personality traits. I need this character to be as socially annoying to the rest of the party as I can.

I'm also looking for ideas on class build that would be obnoxious like hyper-optomized cheese build or a super poorly optimized build(DEX based barbarian pixie)

I need to not only irritate the player characters but the humans controlling them too.

this is a throw away character that I expect to last for 5 minutes so, skies the limit on ideas.

If Deadpool made a player character, what would it look like?

Sigreid
2018-06-05, 11:31 AM
Bard, low charisma who thinks he is the greatest bard, statesman and ladies man ever. Be a little crude and graceless convinced your natural charm and winning smile will carry the day. Clumsily try to charm everyone and every thing.

Edit: I forgot, correct people on everything; confident in your brilliance and expertise. And be wrong a lot while insisting you are the one that knows the truth.

dejarnjc
2018-06-05, 11:35 AM
People tend to hate Kender. Any character that steals from PCs is generally reviled.

Deliberately sabotaging them at every opportunity is incredibly annoying.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-06-05, 11:37 AM
If the character needs to be functional, play a Barbarian who approaches social situations with weird trepidation or incredible enthusiasm at the worst times.

A half-orc barbarian who literally pushes his friends away to handshake people who want nothing to do with him and at the same time won't go anywhere near a blacksmith because "fire burned down my homeland" or some such nonsense.

If the character doesn't have to be functional, play a spellcaster with a garbage casting stat. Nothing gets on the parties nerves faster than someone who can't carry their own weight.

Bonus points if you can manage to make your strength score low enough to literally be unable to carry your own weight.

Unoriginal
2018-06-05, 11:43 AM
Printscreen this thread and show it to the other players, I'm pretty sure they'll consider it ultra-annoying.

Also, cast Friend on everyone.

Deadpool isn't about being annoying.

Sigreid
2018-06-05, 11:48 AM
Shamelessly hit on and proposition everyone's girlfriend, wife, husband, boyfriend, son and daughter in front of them and each other. Including the king, queen, mob boss's sweetheart if you can.

JeenLeen
2018-06-05, 11:49 AM
First, noting that should know your group and be confident they will be cool with this joke, i.e., be annoying in a fun way, don't tick off your friends.

Another thread gave me this idea: take the Lucky feat (if you are able to get a feat, like variant human or starting above level 1), and insist on being given a chance to think about using a reroll after every roll possible. Lean on the idea you can do this in combat after the die is rolled but before you're told if it hits or not. Take your time.
As an extension: any mechanical thing that slows down play can be annoying, if done annoyingly. Summons are another good example, but not sure if applicable at low-level. Minions can do: take the Noble background and RP stuff between you and your servants.

Some folk find gnomes annoying. If your group does, being a gnome could be a start.

I like the enthusiastic half-orc idea.

ImthebOHGODBEES
2018-06-05, 11:50 AM
Looking at all of these suggestions, I feel the need to remind people that this is not a political thread, please stop describing prominent politicians and their recorded behavior.

MrStabby
2018-06-05, 11:55 AM
Certainly a bard. Claim that the other PCs are inspired by you. Describe what you do to inspire them and say that someone else's character is inspired by it.

Also play chaotic evil - "it's what my character would do" should be frequently heard at the table. Murder plot sensitive NPCs, find reasons to reject plot hooks, have secrets from other players, claim to be a leader and feel free to indulge in moderate amounts of friendly fire. Included in this is happening to place wall spells to make it difficult for your melee allies to get into combat.

I suggest a lucky feat halfling So you can slow down the game with rerolls. Make sure you pick up spells like animate dead with magical secrets cos everyone wants minions to bog down the game. Complain when the party wants to go places where undead might be frowned upon.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-06-05, 11:56 AM
Bard, low charisma who thinks he is the greatest bard, statesman and ladies man ever. Be a little crude and graceless convinced your natural charm and winning smile will carry the day. Clumsily try to charm everyone and every thing.

Edit: I forgot, correct people on everything; confident in your brilliance and expertise. And be wrong a lot while insisting you are the one that knows the truth.

I see your character concept and raise you one "Strength-based, Gnome bard who has to work out all the time so he can drag his upright piano around with him, which is his instrument of choice." He's a classic meat head who frequently picks fist fights with anyone the party encounters, or even the party itself. He thinks he's gifted musically, but his Charisma is actually a 6 or 7.

Edit: Not to mention that his piano is always out of tune from dragging it through the streets.

saucerhead
2018-06-05, 12:03 PM
Try being a Bard with NO internal monologue, so you speak out loud everything you are thinking. "That is the ugliest dwarf I've ever seen. See how he looks at me now in confusion. He must be as stupid as he is hairy. Shall I convince him I am friend? *smiles: Hello and well met my good dwarf. See how he is easily fooled."
A highly annoying and potentially hilarious, short life.

Sigreid
2018-06-05, 12:04 PM
Alternately play a completely inflexible moral and idealistic devotion paladin.

DMThac0
2018-06-05, 12:53 PM
Tinker Gnome, haplessly trying to invent something to make him/herself known throughout the world as the greatest. Super fast talking, high pitched nasally voice, uses huge words at the wrong time, over analyzes every situation, and has the most brilliant ideas ever. Everything they do falls flat on it's face. Instead of a table to let a trinket or invention succeed, have a failure table which works similar to the wild sorc table. Every time you use an invention, it does something unintended with a 10% chance of doing what you want it to. Be over enthusiastic about showing off our new "babies", immediately, before anyone else can do anything, so high dex for initiative rolls. Dontstoptalkingnomatterwhattheotherplayersaretryin gtodo,makesuretheyknowyouhaveanideanadneedtotellth emeverysingledetailinthemostelaborateandlongwinded waypossible.

smcmike
2018-06-05, 01:06 PM
1. Play a Kenku.
2. Make a file of a bunch of annoying noises and catchphrases on your phone.
3. Remain in character as much as humanly possible. Pick a particularly annoying catchphrase that you can play every time the rest of the party asks you to stop.

1. Play a Minotaur.
2. Pick a bunch of abilities that let you interrupt the action: Lucky, Counterspell, Shield, Cutting Words, Bend Luck, and so on.
3. Mooooooooooo. You are the interrupting cow.

Speely
2018-06-05, 01:07 PM
Halfling lore bard with Lucky, Second Chance, and Cutting Words. MC into Swashbuckler. Never shut up and always act first, then force re-rolls and basically always have SA damage rolls.

Be impetuous and never let the group think things through. Use your mobility to back out of situations you force the group into. Sounds pretty annoying all around. Ugh.

Angelalex242
2018-06-05, 01:11 PM
Make a monk. Do Bruce Lee noises every time you attack.

You should be hated quickly.

And when you talk, refer to yourself as 'this humble one.'

Theodoxus
2018-06-05, 01:29 PM
I'm going for things that literally annoyed me, as player or DM. One is a player, the rest were just characters.

First, the player: "Repeat yourself, mid sent. I mean, mid... like, in the middle. And ramble onto, I mean, gosh, like really, gosh I'd just want. Can I just say, this idea is stupid. Repeat about four times, like really, four times what you're trying to, you know, like four times. And eventually, you'll, no. Come on, four times. And the point? Was there one?"

1st annoying character: Mr "I see dead people" - not really, but I do see you trying to stealth. Play a rogue, play a vhuman, take Observant, go 16 Wis, 16 Dex (better if you're rolling), expertise Perception. Start with a passive perception of 22. See all the things, at 1st level. Your DM will hate you. The players will love you - UNLESS! you never tell them what you see. Ever. Even if it's to the party detriment that you spotted the ambush and let them walk right into it. Or noticed the mimic and laughed as the fighter's hand gets eaten when opening the "chest."

2nd annoying character: Mr "I'm monstrous, but really only to my own people." Play a Volo's monstrous race in a campaign whose primary enemy is said race. If you're playing Lost Mines, be a goblin. If you're going to the Sunless Citadel, play a kobold... and then get in tight with your racemates, and either stab the party in the back (funny) or your race in the back (pisses off the DM). Especially fun if you play Sunless Citadel and kill Meepo for letting the dragon escape... (not really, don't do that, I know too many DMs who love Meepo a little too much.)

3rd annoying character: Mr "I like the idea of a rogue with an owl familiar, but that's so cliche, so I batted up my owl and cast darkness everywhere!" Another vhuman, though 1st level wizard works - just need access to Find Familiar, however you'd like to - and summon a bat. Use echolocation on everything. Cast darkness on everything. Annoy your teammates by blinding them. Bonus points going Warlock and NOT taking Devil Sight.

4th annoying character: Mr. "I should have been an annoying bard like above, but decided Druid was the class for me!". This one really is best if you're starting at a higher level - although I'm sure you can make it work from 1st level on. If you are a higher level druid, cast Meld into Stone at the start of combat and patiently wait out the fight to do afterbattle triage. If you're 1st level, cast Fog Cloud on yourself and hide until combat is over. If you're second level, Wild shape into an innocuous critter and do the same. Not only do you not pull your own weight, but if you manage to gather up everyone's gear in the middle of the night and don it all - you can literally pull all their excess weight in wild shape too! How cool is that!

Grear Bylls
2018-06-05, 01:38 PM
Check out Dawnforged Cast's "the most annoying build ever". Build it. Then RP it even worse

DnDegenerates
2018-06-05, 02:10 PM
Roleplay your character as if they pretend to not understand any language that doesn't suit them. Do it unconvincingly, and refuse to give in even when you've obviously been made.

Pretend to be a devote follower of every religion you come across, despite your character's tendency to get them all mixed up.

Insist you're the face of the party, especially when your party would rather you didn't initiative every diplomatic conversation.

Your character claims to have a cousin, sister, uncle, or family friend of every religion, race, gender, social rank, military order, kingdom. So they believe they can use any derogatory term, slang, dialect they wish, as well as have access to any prior they feel appropriate.

Every time someone claims they have done something praise worth or funny, your character has a story that is minutely relavent but is even more funny or impressive.

Your character claims to be the most charitable and modest/ humble person, with the most humble and modest connections.

Your character believes every situation can be solved by either convincing it that you are better, or by having someone in your party deal with it FOR you. Since they're really your disciples or servants, even if there's no formal paperwork stating as much. It's really an act of charity on your part.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-05, 02:18 PM
1. Alignment is Chaotic Neutral. No matter what you do, no matter how random and annoying you are, you're just "playing your alignment".

2. Be a Kenku. Constantly repeat what everybody else says, preferably in a higher-pitched, nasal voice.

I would think that would handle it.

Class options:
1. Trickster Cleric. Have your duplicate repeat things, just like you do, and have that happen by repea-repeating the fir-first par-part of wor-words at the table.

2. Illusionist Wizard, who casts illusory duplicates of the monsters the party is fighting, because any repetition is a good thing.

3. GOO Warlock. Use your telepathy constantly, and, by "telepathy", I mean "make sure you have the cell numbers of everybody at your table, and not only repeat things out loud, but constantly text them those same things, and, when they object, tell them to stop metagaming and it was all telepathic so nobody else should know."

MrWesson22
2018-06-05, 02:22 PM
It's super simple. Play a character who never shuts up, is loud and boisterous, and constantly interrupts everyone else. Must be the center of attention 100% of the time.

Friv
2018-06-05, 03:59 PM
I'm going to go with an alternative route, because it would drive me up the wall, with the caveat that you definitely should not play this character.

Half-orc Paladin. If you're playing with an array, go Strength / Constitution / Charisma / Dexterity / Wisdom / Intelligence. If you've got point-buy, take Str 17 (15) / Dex 10 / Con 16 (15) / Int 8 / Wis 8 / Cha 14. Behave as though a rating of 8 is a rating of 3. Start with Athletics and Medicine as your skills, take the Folk Hero background so that random peasants actually like you (probably in the way that they like a particularly buff puppy) and thus add Survival and Animal Handling, plus your natural Intimidation. If you're Level 2, take the Defense fighting style because everyone is going to want to shank you. If you're level 3, take the Oath of Devotion.

Just be the loudest, most uncompromising, stupidest champion of all that is good and just in the world. Interrogate everyone about their motivations and always, always believe the bad guys when they tell you that actually they're good guys. Attack street signs for tempting people into sin. Knock beer out of people's hands and then earnestly tell them that was a close call. Always assume that people are doing bad deeds by mistake and lecture them about said mistakes. Constantly make the party stop to do extraordinarily minor good deeds. Notice that a peasant's hut looks kind of shoddy and intimidate everyone into spending time and spells fixing his roof. Use up your Lay on Hands on minor scrapes and bruises from everyone you pass by. Be totally honest about your party's plans, up to and including announcing yourself loudly whenever you enter a new dungeon area. Talk about yourself in the third person, and refuse to use proper sentences structures.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-05, 04:53 PM
I need ideas on how to make the most annoying player character. and I mean annoying in personality traits. I need this character to be as socially annoying to the rest of the party as I can.

I'm also looking for ideas on class build that would be obnoxious like hyper-optomized cheese build or a super poorly optimized build(DEX based barbarian pixie)

I need to not only irritate the player characters but the humans controlling them too.

this is a throw away character that I expect to last for 5 minutes so, skies the limit on ideas.

For the good of the game I cannot support this. :smalltongue:

No brains
2018-06-05, 06:00 PM
If you want to be annoying, complain for endless threads about how you don't like some element of a children's board game and how that makes everything suck. Then propose homebrew that takes more time and could kill more people and also complain about that homebrew. If you wanna be really annoying, meta complain about complaining without actually elevating discussions. :smallwink:

That's my 4-dimensional Kline bottle of annoyance. Roll for wisdom damage.

Isaire
2018-06-05, 06:17 PM
Play a druid who spends the whole time stopping the party eating meat, constantly going on about the gifts that nature gives you and how you love the feeling of nature and how everyone needs to respect nature more yada yada yada.

It works more the more you refuse to shut up about it..

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-05, 06:26 PM
DON'T. Please, don't purposely tick off other players. That's just a mean thing to do. Your not playing a single player game. Think about the enjoyment of others.
That being said, this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyOqGRjVtls)

I couldn't help it. No, it's actually here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE-rW7Mqv3w) That one's for real.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-05, 07:15 PM
Gully Dwarves are among the most odious creatures in existence.

I'd go with a Wild Magic Sorcerer. Be sure to intentionally cause as many surges as possible so you can "accidentally" fireball everyone in the party.

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 08:47 AM
Build the Sorcerer King. Or just his poster. The build is currently up if you want to see it

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-06, 09:32 AM
Option 1: Join any of a number of MMORPG's and annoy people on the internet. Sounds like the kind of fun you actually want to have. Make sure to call them all noobs.

Option 2: Kenku Wild Mage Sorcerer. As above, go out of your way to trigger wild magic surges. All kinds of odd stuff will happen.

ImthebOHGODBEES
2018-06-06, 10:47 AM
At this point I'm curious if the OP could tell us WHY they want to do this.
To me it feels like they are introducing someone with the intention of them being killed off very early in the story. That sounds kind of funny. But some of these suggestions are things that really only work over 3-10 game sessions.

Also a lot of you seem to really be venting here...I don't think I've read a single suggestion that didn't read like someone rehashing a real life experience and "changing the names to protect the guilty".

Mercurias
2018-06-06, 12:41 PM
Play a true blue Lawful Stupid Pally who keeps agreeing to tasks the party doesn’t want to do, especially if it costs the party gold in the process.

Karsalem
2018-06-06, 03:03 PM
At this point I'm curious if the OP could tell us WHY they want to do this.
To me it feels like they are introducing someone with the intention of them being killed off very early in the story. That sounds kind of funny. But some of these suggestions are things that really only work over 3-10 game sessions.

Also a lot of you seem to really be venting here...I don't think I've read a single suggestion that didn't read like someone rehashing a real life experience and "changing the names to protect the guilty".

Some of you are under the impression that I am only doing this out of some sort of puerile contemptible desire to inflict my friends with an aggravating player experience. And you are right! But just a little.

This is a character that I will be surprised lasts more than 15 real life minutes. This is not a character that I plan to wreak aggravation upon my fellow players long term. This character is simply a story hook to introduce another character. But I need for the real live humans around the table to be utterly convinced that this is a genuine character that will be with them for the long haul.

I absolutely love the idea of the "no inner monologue" idea and I've already started running with some good ideas around that.

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 03:19 PM
Some of you are under the impression that I am only doing this out of some sort of puerile contemptible desire to inflict my friends with an aggravating player experience. And you are right! But just a little.

This is a character that I will be surprised lasts more than 15 real life minutes. This is not a character that I plan to wreak aggravation upon my fellow players long term. This character is simply a story hook to introduce another character. But I need for the real live humans around the table to be utterly convinced that this is a genuine character that will be with them for the long haul.

I absolutely love the idea of the "no inner monologue" idea and I've already started running with some good ideas around that.

Rather than raging angrily (yet funnily) with a crappy character, might I suggest... talking to the other players. Are they angry at you, you at them? What happened? There are better solutions than revenge, even if it is fun, sometimes.

It's just not fun for others.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-06, 03:36 PM

I, for one, am completely on board with the idea of annoying someone for 15 minutes for a good joke on one condition; you absolutely and utterly insist to your GM that, once you retire the character, he becomes an NPC that occasionally shows up in the future so the "fun" can continue.

The idea of inflicting 15 minutes of existential gaming dread on your friends is HILARIOUS, and the more annoying, the better.

Karsalem
2018-06-06, 04:59 PM
Rather than raging angrily (yet funnily) with a crappy character, might I suggest... talking to the other players. Are they angry at you, you at them? What happened? There are better solutions than revenge, even if it is fun, sometimes.

It's just not fun for others.

Boy, the psychoanalysis is strong in this forum. Look, there's no "raging angrily," there's no nefarious plot to exact revenge and I don't need to point out where on the dolly the mean "other players" touched me. I love this group, this DM is totally on board but I need to sell it.

I wish I could tell you more but on the outside chance any of them are reading this I don't want to tip my hand.

You guys have given me A LOT of great ideas. This is going to be so awesome. Please keep ideas coming

Spyderson
2018-06-06, 07:06 PM
I'll steal the idea of a character I saw someone else say they ran and add it to the list.

He was a dwarf bard who's instrument was a one-man marching band (http://marcdobson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/twitTheOneManBandMarcDobson_1.jpg) and he would play background theme music for the party as they went.

Thinking of how to solve a puzzle room? Cue jeopardy music
Sneaking into a bandit camp? How about some suspense building flutes!

Be playing constantly. Everywhere. Inappropriately.

Sigreid
2018-06-07, 07:21 AM
How about an extreme stereotype hippie vegan who belittles anyone who eats anything but goodberries "stop your violence against nature man. By eating that apple you're murdering and eating that tree's baby. If you were more in tune with the the cosmos you could hear the tree wailing too."

xen
2018-06-07, 07:41 AM
halfling thief rogue. But play him as a kender and steal all their stuff. Like right in front of them. You'll be dead in 2 minutes.
5 minutes if you take mobile and kite them.

Or play your PC as the guy that made the nameless king.