PDA

View Full Version : 162 free DnD tokens!

DoodsnDrags
2018-06-05, 07:28 PM
Hi! I am an artist and DM who is putting together sets of hand-drawn RPG tokens. While the printed sets are not available yet, I do have a free downloadable set of tokens! The tokens are sized appropriately and ready to be printed and put to use.

doodlesanddragons.com/tokens/#/bestiary-sample-set/

Let me know what you think, and enjoy!

Jaeda
2018-06-07, 09:40 PM
Those are kind of cute. If I didn't have the Giant's paper minis (and a variety of status hats (https://imgur.com/LrZvtzc) for them) I would probably use them.

You might do some image manipulation so that you have multiple copies of the same monster on a sheet. From a gamiest perspective, it helps to solidify that they represent identical monsters. You can add numbers to the tiles to make them differentiatable again.

You may also want to put them on a second page in reverse order (or just mirror it) so that the tokens can easily be made two-sided. You could then shade the background so that flipping the token can represent the monster being bloodied or suffering some other harmful status effect (which the 4e players will thank you for).

Also, I think this properly belongs in the Arts and Crafts subforum.

DoodsnDrags
2018-06-07, 10:55 PM
Those are kind of cute. If I didn't have the Giant's paper minis (and a variety of for them) I would probably use them.

You might do some image manipulation so that you have multiple copies of the same monster on a sheet. From a gamiest perspective, it helps to solidify that they represent identical monsters. You can add numbers to the tiles to make them differentiatable again.

You may also want to put them on a second page in reverse order (or just mirror it) so that the tokens can easily be made two-sided. You could then shade the background so that flipping the token can represent the monster being bloodied or suffering some other harmful status effect (which the 4e players will thank you for).

Also, I think this properly belongs in the Arts and Crafts subforum.

Hey Jaeda, I appreciate the reply!

I am intentially and deliberatly not repeating artwork for the same monsters or adding unessecary clutter to already limited image space. I want to add a little variety and character back into the artwork involved with a lot of tabletop RPGs, and let the DM decide how they want to use them; one DM's soldier might be anothers central character. Let the players dicern the how to react by appearence and behavior like in real life, as opposed to metagaming that number 5s are all enemy tokens to be fought.

Interesting idea about double-sided, and not the first time it has been suggested. From the practical side, these are to be printed at home, making what you mention near impossible; or at least incredibly time consuming to put together or try to get your printer to align. I worked at a print shop, it sounds easy but in reality is not.
In addition, I will be producing professionally printed box sets with more refined artwork on high-quality chipboard. While double-sided is do-able with those means, it would nearly double the production cost for very little benefit.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for em. Thanks again!

Jaeda
2018-06-08, 10:05 PM
I can see how the double-sided tokens would cost twice as much to produce and the loss of efficiency probably isn't worth having both options. It still might be cool for the print-at-home people who can decide how picky they want to be about everything lining up, but the ones who really care would probably cut them out and afix them themselves and take a color-pencil to the tokens themselves. Since this is mostly only of value to the 4e players but your target is primarily 5e modules, it probably wouldn't be worth you spending much time on this.

DoodsnDrags
2018-06-08, 11:07 PM
I can see how the double-sided tokens would cost twice as much to produce and the loss of efficiency probably isn't worth having both options. It still might be cool for the print-at-home people who can decide how picky they want to be about everything lining up, but the ones who really care would probably cut them out and afix them themselves and take a color-pencil to the tokens themselves. Since this is mostly only of value to the 4e players but your target is primarily 5e modules, it probably wouldn't be worth you spending much time on this.

You are right, I should not be presumptious about what people at home will do. Thanks for your input!