PDA

View Full Version : Making Thor from MCU

Shadowbane13
2018-06-05, 08:00 PM
What would be the best class and essential build to make thor from MCU. I know that he is already in the game but i can name him like roht or somethng dumb. I'm also considering making Capt america if someone has a build for that as well that would be awesome. Thanks guys

Grear Bylls
2018-06-05, 08:58 PM
What would be the best class and essential build to make thor from MCU. I know that he is already in the game but i can name him like roht or somethng dumb. I'm also considering making Capt america if someone has a build for that as well that would be awesome. Thanks guys

Hammer of Thunderbolts

Phoenix042
2018-06-05, 09:48 PM
That seriously depends on how you define Thor.

You could absolutely go full tempest cleric, variant human, and GWM.

Alternatively, you could just find a way to get the booming blade cantrip and flight via magic items, then maybe go war cleric or something similar.

And you're going to need the hammer of thunderbolts. It's just too good not to have for Thor.

For captain america, the problem is the rule for equipping a shield, which requires your action. If you can get your DM to stat up a magic shield that returns to you and automatically re-equips, this becomes straightforward.

Grab tavern brawler and a high strength, and go with straight fighter, probably champion.

Officially, you CAN throw shields as an improvised weapon, and tavern brawler allows you to do that with proficiency and be reasonably effective. The problem is that Captain America gains the use of his shield back almost instantly afterwards, which you can't do in 5th edition without magic.

The rest is pretty much a straight champion fighter w/ tavern brawler build.

xroads
2018-06-06, 09:14 AM
My initial response was to say make a cleric of tempest. But Thor is a god (or at least says he is). Not a worshiper of gods.

So maybe an Eldritch Knight then? Primarily a fighter but can cast electrical evocations (including Lightning Bolt at higher levels). And as a bonus, can summon his weapon back to his hand, similar to how Thor can call Mjonir back on a whim.

Alternatively, you could argue that Thor is a worshiper of Odin. So he could be a cleric of Odin (not sure what domains Odin has).

Vogie
2018-06-06, 11:31 AM
Mechanically, he'd be probably a blend of Eldritch Knight, Storm Sorcerer, and Tempest Cleric. I'd do something like Storm Sorcerer 6 / Tempest Cleric 8 / Eldritch Knight 5.

That way you'd have

A Fighting style
Extra attack
Ability to resummon weapon from anywhere on the plane
Nearly effortless flight without provoking AOOs
Lightning spells to maximize
Lightning- or Thunder-based reaction
Thunder damage on hit
Lightning & thunder spells cause PAoE damage
Control over weather
Resistance to lightning and thunder damage

And you've still got a level to spare!

GlenSmash!
2018-06-06, 12:19 PM
Which aspects of Thor do you want to most emulate? Because Getting Massive Strength and massive durability, massive hammer damage, and massive lightning damage on one character is going to be hard, but you can get a little of all of it or a lot of one or the other pretty easily.

Hammer of Thunderbolts

Hammer of Thunderbolts sadly lacks the text in its description to return in to your hand, like The Dwarven Thrower has. I feel like this was an oversight, but have yet to see any more information about it.

It's not an issue for the Eldritch Knight builds however.

Ganymede
2018-06-06, 12:24 PM
You definitely need a "My lineage means that others are beneath my contempt" flaw.

TheCleverGuy
2018-06-06, 01:43 PM
For captain america, the problem is the rule for equipping a shield, which requires your action. If you can get your DM to stat up a magic shield that returns to you and automatically re-equips, this becomes straightforward.

Grab tavern brawler and a high strength, and go with straight fighter, probably champion.

Officially, you CAN throw shields as an improvised weapon, and tavern brawler allows you to do that with proficiency and be reasonably effective. The problem is that Captain America gains the use of his shield back almost instantly afterwards, which you can't do in 5th edition without magic.

The rest is pretty much a straight champion fighter w/ tavern brawler build.

I disagree on the Champion subclass. Cap is a master tactician, which is why he's always the one giving most of the orders to the good guys in Avengers movies. He'd be a Battle Master for sure, probably with the Commander's Strike and Maneuvering Strike maneuvers (among others, of course--Rally, Pushing, Disarming, Riposte, etc).

Beechgnome
2018-06-06, 10:03 PM
Thor at 20th level would be a 13th level Eldritch Knight/7th level tempest cleric armed with hammer of thunderbolts, gauntlets of ogre power and belt of giant strength. A bit mad with wisdom, intelligence, strength and constitution, but the hammer will help.

3 attacks a round or casting with slots of an 11th level caster with spells up to 4th level for cleric or 3rd for wizard. Good for casting lightning bolt as a 6th level spell and channeling to maximize and do 66 points of damage.

As for Cap, I always thought Banneret, though it's not a great archetype. Definitely shield master feat.

Talionis
2018-06-07, 10:07 AM
Mechanically, he'd be probably a blend of Eldritch Knight, Storm Sorcerer, and Tempest Cleric. I'd do something like Storm Sorcerer 6 / Tempest Cleric 8 / Eldritch Knight 5.

That way you'd have

A Fighting style
Extra attack
Thunder damage on hit
Control over weather

I would say this is the direction I would go. This won't level well, but you have 8th level casting slots. And Sorcerer has access to the best Lightning based spells. You get some access to winds with Storm Sorcerer. You start Fighter to get Con saves and quick access to Extra Attacks. You'll get a lot of Lightning and Thunder based powers, which should give you great flavor.

Vogie
2018-06-07, 10:15 AM
I would actually make Cap, mechanically, with a Kensai Monk - Make the Shield a Monk weapon, and thus using the Agile Parry Feature allows it to alternate between a monk-scaling weapon (when used as a melee or ranged weapon) or a +2 AC defensive item (when wielded but Cap uses an unarmed strike attack instead).

Add 3 levels of EK somewhere in there for Action Surge and Bonded item (so the thrown shield returns to hand as a bonus action)... the "spellcasting" could just show superheroism things - Jump, Absorb Elements, Longstrider, Shield, Disguise self, Expeditious Retreat, Healing Elixir, et cetera.

Oramac
2018-06-07, 11:30 AM
I had this same question immediately after watching Thor: Ragnarok. Instead of the PHB classes, I decided to homebrew my own.

Personally, I see Thor as more of a Paladin type rather than a Fighter or Cleric, so I created the Oath of the Storm (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HybYLreKA-), based largely on the film. It has not been playtested yet, but you're more than welcome to try it out.

Specter
2018-06-07, 01:09 PM
I think the only Avenger you can replicate is Captain America, and even him needs good stats all around (absolutely no negative stats).

As a simple thought exercise:
Champion Fighter 20
ST20, DX16, CO18, IN14, WI16, CH20
Fighting Styles: Dueling - Defense
Feats: Resilient (WIS), Shield Master, Tavern Brawler (for shield attacks), Tough

Lombra
2018-06-07, 01:25 PM
Storm herald barbarian (Sea) with a magic hammer.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-07, 01:44 PM
Storm herald barbarian (Sea) with a magic hammer.

I like this for a mythological Thor, but the MCU Thor throws around a lot more lighting and at farther range than a Storm Herald can. And he does it without a hammer.

Here for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w586B67zfE

Shadowbane13
2018-06-07, 02:39 PM

That way you'd have

A Fighting style
Extra attack
Thunder damage on hit
Control over weather

Alright. I知 probably going to go close to this route. I値l play it by ear if I feel like changing anything.

I値l probably shoot the EK 5 first then hit sorcerer.

Specter
2018-06-07, 02:40 PM
Alright. I知 probably going to go close to this route. I値l play it by ear if I feel like changing anything.

I値l probably shoot the EK 5 first then hit sorcerer.

Be careful, though, because this build will require STR, CON, WIS and CHA.

Talionis
2018-06-07, 04:00 PM
Be careful, though, because this build will require STR, CON, WIS and CHA.

That's the problem with trying to stat characters based on comics, often to do a DnD analog you have to have stats that cannot be achieved with Point Buy. MCU Thor's stats are really well over 20 in strength and Constitution.

Quietus
2018-06-07, 04:49 PM
I like this for a mythological Thor, but the MCU Thor throws around a lot more lighting and at farther range than a Storm Herald can. And he does it without a hammer.

Here for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w586B67zfE

See, I'm looking at that and definitely see Cleric. The constant lightning strikes on mooks really makes me think of a reflavored Spiritual Weapon, cast at the highest possible level, and trashing anything unlucky enough to be too close.

I would actually make Cap, mechanically, with a Kensai Monk - Make the Shield a Monk weapon, and thus using the Agile Parry Feature allows it to alternate between a monk-scaling weapon (when used as a melee or ranged weapon) or a +2 AC defensive item (when wielded but Cap uses an unarmed strike attack instead).

Add 3 levels of EK somewhere in there for Action Surge and Bonded item (so the thrown shield returns to hand as a bonus action)... the "spellcasting" could just show superheroism things - Jump, Absorb Elements, Longstrider, Shield, Disguise self, Expeditious Retreat, Healing Elixir, et cetera.

I couldn't agree more, this is a really decent way of building Cap.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-07, 05:28 PM
That's the problem with trying to stat characters based on comics, often to do a DnD analog you have to have stats that cannot be achieved with Point Buy. MCU Thor's stats are really well over 20 in strength and Constitution.

Right. Ultimately you have someone inspired by the comic book character. Trying to emulate the feel more than duplicate the character.