PDA

View Full Version : Moddable games that feel like DDO and aren't MMOs?

gomipile
2018-06-05, 10:13 PM
I'm looking for a realtime fantasy game with peer-to-peer multiplayer that admits player-created maps, NPCs, and missions where the character building, progression, and play feel as close to Dungeons and Dragons Online as possible.

Rynjin
2018-06-05, 11:29 PM
Isn't that basically Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2?

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are good newer options as well. Though those are turn based, where I THINK NWN was real time. been a long while since I played it.

gomipile
2018-06-06, 12:03 AM
Isn't that basically Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2?

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are good newer options as well. Though those are turn based, where I THINK NWN was real time. been a long while since I played it.

Maybe? I was hoping for something a little newer, regarding NWN 1 and 2. The ability to have multiple floors, stairs, bridges, overhangs, etc. is a must.

It doesn't have to be based on D&D rules, just have that kind of high fantasy feel. Aside from that feel, realtime character control, true 3D environments, and a 3rd person shooter or MMO-style perspective are the must-have components here. I should be able to look up at the ceiling above my character, while NWN seems like a top-down perspective through invisible ceilings of glorified 2D maps (that's my impression from several minutes of browsing videos and screenshots.)

I hear Divinity Original Sin is versatile for modders, but it doesn't have the playstyle I'm looking for, no.

Rynjin
2018-06-06, 12:42 AM
The multiplayer is the hard bit, is the main issue. There are a lot of "offline MMOs" like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, but few multiplayer ones.

Driderman
2018-06-06, 01:43 AM
If you turn up this Holy Grail of CRPGs let me know, it sounds awesome ;)

Psyren
2018-06-08, 10:10 AM
I hear Divinity Original Sin is versatile for modders, but it doesn't have the playstyle I'm looking for, no.

May I ask why? DOS2 has everything you want except being real-time, but it's only turn-based during combat. But if anything, the turn-basedness makes it feel even more like D&D. It even has the narrator/DM like DDO does for when you want to do asides or describe actions/attitudes.

gomipile
2018-06-08, 11:42 AM
May I ask why? DOS2 has everything you want except being real-time, but it's only turn-based during combat. But if anything, the turn-basedness makes it feel even more like D&D. It even has the narrator/DM like DDO does for when you want to do asides or describe actions/attitudes.

I have a page full of reasons, but I don't feel like typing them out right now. Let's please keep the focus of this thread on the question I asked. If I want to find out about DOS2, I'll post in a thread about that.

Also, I should point out that I will be using DOS2 in the future for some things, and that fact does not change my desire to pursue this thread with the question as originally asked. DOS2 and the game I am asking for would fill different needs for me, not be alternatives to one another.

Psyren
2018-06-08, 12:08 PM
I have a page full of reasons, but I don't feel like typing them out right now. Let's please keep the focus of this thread on the question I asked. If I want to find out about DOS2, I'll post in a thread about that.

Also, I should point out that I will be using DOS2 in the future for some things, and that fact does not change my desire to pursue this thread with the question as originally asked. DOS2 and the game I am asking for would fill different needs for me, not be alternatives to one another.

Very well - unfortunately that means I can't help you then, so good luck.