PDA

View Full Version : How can I treat a weapon as a light weapon?

Mike Miller
2018-06-05, 10:15 PM
What ways are there to have a non-light weapon treated as a light weapon? I feel like I read a feat that lets you do this, but I can't remember.

retaliation08
2018-06-05, 10:22 PM
"The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all." - SRD

" You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon." - Monkey Grip Feat

mabriss lethe
2018-06-05, 10:27 PM
I think one of the class abilities of the Dervish PrC allows you to treat scimitars as light weapons.

razorback
2018-06-05, 10:31 PM
Feycraft weapons from the DMGII can help.

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-06, 12:28 AM
Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (CAd 111) does this for lessening two weapon fighting penalties. "When wielding a one-handed weapon in your off hand, you take penalties for fighting with two weapons as if you were wielding a light weapon in your off hand"

Feycraft weapons from the DMGII can help.This causes the damage of a one-handed weapon to go down a size, and they can then be treated as light weapons for the purposes of the Weapon Finesse feat. However, they add that pesky "but not for any other purpose" caveat on there.

I think one of the class abilities of the Dervish PrC allows you to treat scimitars as light weapons.It's one of their first level abilities. And it has the "for all purposes" that you like to see.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-06, 12:41 AM
The sunblade from the DMG counts as both a bastard sword and as a short sword at the same time. The MIC has rules for adding magic item qualities to other magic items. Combine the two, and suddenly whatever weapon you have in mind is treated as a short sword.

Mike Miller
2018-06-06, 06:01 AM
Thanks for all the input!

ShurikVch
2018-06-09, 07:01 AM
Corsair PrC (Dragon #321) at 8th level treats any one-handed weapon for which he have Weapon Focus as a light weapon

Uncle Pine
2018-06-09, 08:24 AM
The sunblade from the DMG counts as both a bastard sword and as a short sword at the same time. The MIC has rules for adding magic item qualities to other magic items. Combine the two, and suddenly whatever weapon you have in mind is treated as a short sword.

This looks awesome, but the sunblade also has a ton other enchantments on it on top of being a +2 weapon as a base. 50,000 gp is a rather steep price to add to a weapon if you just want to wield it as if it were light, do you have any idea on how to reverse-engineer the price of a sunblade's advantageous handedness to other weapons?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-09, 08:35 AM
This looks awesome, but the sunblade also has a ton other enchantments on it on top of being a +2 weapon as a base. 50,000 gp is a rather steep price to add to a weapon if you just want to wield it as if it were light, do you have any idea on how to reverse-engineer the price of a sunblade's advantageous handedness to other weapons?Well, take off the price of a Good-restricted +2 bastard sword, for starters. Then take off the price of a Good-restricted 1/day item of the daylight spell. You should keep the user restriction of being Good, as it lowers the cost; otherwise, you'll have to adjust the price further for the ability to use it as both a bastard sword and a short sword.

Uncle Pine
2018-06-09, 09:08 AM
Well, take off the price of a Good-restricted +2 bastard sword, for starters. Then take off the price of a Good-restricted 1/day item of the daylight spell. You should keep the user restriction of being Good, as it lowers the cost; otherwise, you'll have to adjust the price further for the ability to use it as both a bastard sword and a short sword.

So we start with a total enchantment cost of 50,000 gp. Without the alignment restriction (which we'll be reintroduce later), this would amount to a total 71,428.571 gp. This stinks, but let's round it down to 71,400 gp for semplicity.
Minus 8,000 gp (the cost of a +2 weapon) this leaves us with 63,400 gp.
Minus 5,400 gp (the cost of a 1/day dailyght item) this leaves us with 58,000 gp.
I'm quite sure you could convince most people to consider a sunblade a "super bane of evil" weapon, which would shave off at least an additional 10,000 gp as a +3 weapon (or 24,000 gp if you give it another +1 bump), but we can keep it as an optional reduction.
After reintroducing the 30% cost reduction due to the alignment restriction, we're either left with a 40,600 gp weapon that can be wielded as a short sword and counts as +2 against Evil creatures (as well as dealing double damage against Negative Energy Plane creatures and undeads) OR with a 33,600/23,800 gp weapon that can be wielded as a short sword (without all the extra thingies).

Given the above, I'd probably feel comfortable giving the "short sword enhancement" an ad-hoc price of +30,000/+35,000 gp.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-09, 09:14 AM
So we start with a total enchantment cost of 50,000 gp. Without the alignment restriction (which we'll be reintroduce later), this would amount to a total 71,428.571 gp. This stinks, but let's round it down to 71,400 gp for semplicity.
Minus 8,000 gp (the cost of a +2 weapon) this leaves us with 63,400 gp.
Minus 5,400 gp (the cost of a 1/day dailyght item) this leaves us with 58,000 gp.
I'm quite sure you could convince most people to consider a sunblade a "super bane of evil" weapon, which would shave off at least an additional 10,000 gp as a +3 weapon (or 24,000 gp if you give it another +1 bump), but we can keep it as an optional reduction.
After reintroducing the 30% cost reduction due to the alignment restriction, we're either left with a 40,600 gp weapon that can be wielded as a short sword and counts as +2 against Evil creatures (as well as dealing double damage against Negative Energy Plane creatures and undeads) OR with a 33,600/23,800 gp weapon that can be wielded as a short sword (without all the extra thingies).

Given the above, I'd probably feel comfortable giving the "short sword enhancement" an ad-hoc price of +30,000/+35,000 gp.Don't forget that you can also wield it as a bastard sword while counting as a light weapon. That means you can 2-hand it for damage while being a light weapon when it suits you.