PDA

View Full Version : Sun Soul's Burning Hand Damage Question

Unoriginal
2018-06-06, 09:52 AM
I think I might be reading it wrong, but since the Sun Soul can spend ki points to empower their
Searing Arc Strike, doesn't it mean a Monk could theoretically, as soon as they get this feature at this level, deal 7d6 damages by using 6 ki points (2 for the initial feature + 4 for the increase, each adding 1d6 to the damage dice) ?

Fishyninja
2018-06-06, 09:55 AM
I think I might be reading it wrong, but since the Sun Soul can spend ki points to empower their
Searing Arc Strike, doesn't it mean a Monk could theoretically, as soon as they get this feature at this level, deal 7d6 damages by using 6 ki points (2 for the initial feature + 4 for the increase, each adding 1d6 to the damage dice) ?

Not quite. You can use Ki points equal to half your Monk level rounded down. So as soon as they get this feature at level 6 you can use 1 extra ki point.

PhantomSoul
2018-06-06, 10:00 AM
You can spend a maximum of half your Monk level in ki, rounded down, so at level 6 the most you can spend on the ability is 3 ki. That nets you 3d6 (2 ki, the base cost) + 1d6 (1 ki, the upcast), for a total of 4d6 fire damage. Still good for a bonus action, but it's also not cheap!

The maximum number of ki points (2 plus any additional points) that you can spend on the spell equals half your monk level (round down).