PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian necromancer?

Stormtrooper666
2018-06-06, 10:33 AM
Is there a name for a class like that?

LibraryOgre
2018-06-06, 01:48 PM
Depends heavily on the edition or game, really. In 2nd edition, some versions of Shamans had Necromancy as a Sphere, so were as capable at necromancy as a cleric.

Tvtyrant
2018-06-06, 02:09 PM
A Witch Doctor would work, or a Vala.

KillianHawkeye
2018-06-09, 03:22 PM
I'm imagining a character who gets really angry and shouts at corpses so loudly that they come back to life as zombies..... :smallamused:

Blackhawk748
2018-06-09, 03:30 PM
Spirit Caller? It depends on what you mean by Barbarian. If you mean "Tribal person" as opposed to "Angry Berserker" you have a hell of a lot of option. If however you do mean Angry Warrior well... i cant really think of anything.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-09, 07:06 PM
Spirit Caller? It depends on what you mean by Barbarian. If you mean "Tribal person" as opposed to "Angry Berserker" you have a hell of a lot of option. If however you do mean Angry Warrior well... i cant really think of anything.
Necro-mangon? Necrusemancer?

(A generic barbarian/mage might be a yellomancer...)

JoeJ
2018-06-09, 07:22 PM
I'm imagining a character who gets really angry and shouts at corpses so loudly that they come back to life as zombies..... :smallamused:

You mean the Chuck Norris class?

wumpus
2018-06-09, 08:21 PM
Any good barbarian shaman should be able to commune with ancestors. That's one part of necromancy.

Murdering/human sacrificing sufficiently often to use it as a power source has historically been more a "civilized" trait*. I don't think there's a name for such things. Also sufficiently large graveyards tend to require civilized areas (unless you have some sort of "winterhome"), I wouldn't expect a barbarian tradition of raising the dead.

In other words, any name should not only sound "made up cool" to the players, but it will sound equally "made up" to the characters.

* You might look up the priests of Odin. They were notorious for human sacrifice (of course, all records were written by Christians. But they don't seem to say the same of Thor). They seem to be on the barbaric side of the divide**.

** My definition comes down to "does your language have a written form used by your tribe? If so you are civilized, if not barbaric". Certainly too quick and dirty, but it works as least as well as any other. Runes might have worked for rare signs and similar, but the Norse never really wrote much down.

KillianHawkeye
2018-06-10, 08:39 AM
You mean the Chuck Norris class?

The what?? :smallconfused:

JoeJ
2018-06-10, 10:50 AM
The what?? :smallconfused:

I was cueing off of the idea of corpses being afraid to stay dead, fitting with a very large body of jokes about how tough Chuck Norris is.