PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Jalor's Guide to Hitting Things Really Hard: A Guide to Unarmed Fighting in 5e

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 01:22 PM
Hello all! For a while I've been looking for guides on how to make Unarmed Fighters, but their haven't been any. I've been interested in this, as I find it an interesting and powerful form of fighting, if underrated. So, I decided to devise my first guide based around it.

With that, I present:

Jalor's Guide to Hitting Things Really Hard!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-4HVrAGvCJHleEKGYaRdAaBZxLbfbYf1XaKuar0V3Sk

Please provide feedback below!

Technical difficulties have been fixed. Enjoy!

Quoxis
2018-06-06, 01:26 PM
No access -

and that’s not a joke about there not being optimized unarmed fighting or something, but really: google docs denies me access.

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 01:30 PM
No access -

and that’s not a joke about there not being optimized unarmed fighting or something, but really: google docs denies me access.

Hmm, I'll check into this

Edit: is it working now?

Seekergeek
2018-06-06, 01:54 PM
Nope. Still no access for this guy, either. :(

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 01:57 PM
Crap. I'll just get the kinks ironed out, and I'll just repost this.

Banaticus
2018-06-06, 02:08 PM
You need permission
Want in? Ask for access, or switch to an account with permission.
You have to share it with everyone. Go into Google Drive, open the document, click the Share link then under "Who has access" click Change and set it to either of the following:
On - Public on the web
On - Anyone with the link

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 02:18 PM
You have to share it with everyone. Go into Google Drive, open the document, click the Share link then under "Who has access" click Change and set it to either of the following:
On - Public on the web
On - Anyone with the link

Thought I did that... getting sorted out now

Quoxis
2018-06-06, 02:29 PM
Hmm, I'll check into this

Edit: is it working now?

Still nothing, not even for me.
Wait, you’re not another incarnation of the sorcerer king troll trying new tactics to enrage the forum, are you?

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 02:35 PM
Still nothing, not even for me.
Wait, you’re not another incarnation of the sorcerer king troll trying new tactics to enrage the forum, are you?

No sir. Just trying to figure out how to get this to work. Not the most tech savvy. I'll get this worked out later

I have the problem deduced, and I can solve it later! I'll just repost this thread later. Can you guys all let the mods know to delete this thread, please? It's going nowhere and isn't really helping anyone make an Unarmed fighter

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 04:02 PM
Is it working now? If so, GREAT! If not, just tell the mods to delete this thread, please

Seekergeek
2018-06-06, 04:15 PM
You did it! Now to read it!

Daithi
2018-06-06, 09:15 PM
I think your Shield Master is undervalued. It allows you to shove someone prone as a bonus action. So, basically, you grapple someone, shove them prone as bonus action, and then start pounding the crap out of them with advantage while they have disadvantage. This is classic ground and pound.

My preferred build would be something like this---
Human Variant --- take the Shield Master feat.
Barbarian-1 --- Rage and adv. on STR (Athletics) checks.
Rogue-1 --- Expertise in STR (Athletics) checks (it is like getting a feat at 2nd level), plus 1d6 sneak attack damage if you use a dagger or short sword as they have the finesse property, and if you are grappling someone that you've knocked prone then you have advantage on your strikes, so sneak attack applies.
Fighter-5 --- If possible, go with the AU Brute so you can add another 1d10 damage every time you hit that pathetic target you have pinned to the ground. You'll now have 2 attacks at this point.
Barbarian-3 --- I'd go Bear Totem Barbarian for resistance to basically everything.
Fighter-16 --- This gives you a ton of feats/ASI increases, as well as 3 attacks. Plus the Brute fighter at 7th level gets to roll a 1d6 and add that number to ALL of his saving throws. So pump up your stats with those ASI bumps. Then practically nothing can hit you. Relatively rarely hit by weapons or spells, and you have resistance even when you do get hit. You're a bad motherf... shut your mouth.

Grear Bylls
2018-06-06, 09:25 PM
I think your Shield Master is undervalued. It allows you to shove someone prone as a bonus action. So, basically, you grapple someone, shove them prone as bonus action, and then start pounding the crap out of them with advantage while they have disadvantage. This is classic ground and pound.

My preferred build would be something like this---
Human Variant --- take the Shield Master feat.
Barbarian-1 --- Rage and adv. on STR (Athletics) checks.
Rogue-1 --- Expertise in STR (Athletics) checks (it is like getting a feat at 2nd level), plus 1d6 sneak attack damage if you use a dagger or short sword as they have the finesse property, and if you are grappling someone that you've knocked prone then you have advantage on your strikes, so sneak attack applies.
Fighter-5 --- If possible, go with the AU Brute so you can add another 1d10 damage every time you hit that pathetic target you have pinned to the ground. You'll now have 2 attacks at this point.
Barbarian-3 --- I'd go Bear Totem Barbarian for resistance to basically everything.
Fighter-16 --- This gives you a ton of feats/ASI increases, as well as 3 attacks. Plus the Brute fighter at 7th level gets to roll a 1d6 and add that number to ALL of his saving throws. So pump up your stats with those ASI bumps. Then practically nothing can hit you. Relatively rarely hit by weapons or spells, and you have resistance even when you do get hit. You're a bad motherf... shut your mouth.

Hmmm... I do think, looking back on it, that I was mistaken. Valuable input, sir. Was thinking more along the lines of the "climb and drop maneuver", as well as not trying to stuff to many feats in a build. I think I'll try and change that tomorrow.

Daithi
2018-06-07, 12:22 AM
For a grappler character the Magic Initiate Feat is also gold. You take it specifically for the Hex spell. This allows you to impose disadvantage on STR ability checks, and if you're a barbarian with a raging advantage on STR (Athletic) checks then the BBEG is getting grappled --- or you're in way over your head and your party should run. Plus you can get Eldritch Blast, which scales by level, and Booming Blade makes your opponent just lie there and not move.

Protato
2018-06-07, 01:03 AM
For a grappler character the Magic Initiate Feat is also gold. You take it specifically for the Hex spell. This allows you to impose disadvantage on STR ability checks, and if you're a barbarian with a raging advantage on STR (Athletic) checks then the BBEG is getting grappled --- or you're in way over your head and your party should run. Plus you can get Eldritch Blast, which scales by level, and Booming Blade makes your opponent just lie there and not move.

But, unless the DM waives it, you can't Rage and Concentrate on Hex. I also wouldn't take Booming Blade because it cuts into Extra Attack, though Eldritch Blast is a good ranged spell, even without Agonizing Blast. You can't use that while Raging either but it gives you an attack with good range and alright damage to use when getting close and Raging is undesirable, impossible, or impractical.