View Full Version : Help with a creature sub-type/reskin

DMThac0
2018-06-06, 01:44 PM
Hey playgrounders! I'm having a rough time making a new monster sub-type. Here's the deal, I want to create a sub-type to slap on any creature, basically a re-skin but with a twist.

These are similar to constructs or Warforged. They are not autonomous, they are programmable. They are built for the purpose of stopping/marshalling arcane magic users, creatures, etc. They can come in any shape and size, usually having the appearance of a robotic version of a normal creature ranging from sprites to minotaurs, whatever works. There is an arcane core that is generally protected by the body of the creature, it is the weakest point in the creature. It is able to absorb arcane magic of any type and then redirect it as a force projectile.

Those are the basics of the creature...I'm just having a heck of a time figuring out how to give it a stat block...if any of you could lend assistance I'd greatly appreciate it. Any other input, questions, or what not is welcome as well.

Corpsecandle717
2018-06-06, 02:00 PM
This version of DnD specifically avoids that sort of behavior. It was rampant in older versions and led to some really weird scaling and homebrew monsters. That's probably why it's been difficult for you.

That said I think your best bet is to actually create 5-6 unique archetypes and just reskin them as necessary. There's a table in the DMG? (or is the the MM) that tells you how to create such things.

Unoriginal
2018-06-06, 02:11 PM
Hey playgrounders! I'm having a rough time making a new monster sub-type. Here's the deal, I want to create a sub-type to slap on any creature, basically a re-skin but with a twist.

These are similar to constructs or Warforged. They are not autonomous, they are programmable. They are built for the purpose of stopping/marshalling arcane magic users, creatures, etc. They can come in any shape and size, usually having the appearance of a robotic version of a normal creature ranging from sprites to minotaurs, whatever works. There is an arcane core that is generally protected by the body of the creature, it is the weakest point in the creature. It is able to absorb arcane magic of any type and then redirect it as a force projectile.

Those are the basics of the creature...I'm just having a heck of a time figuring out how to give it a stat block...if any of you could lend assistance I'd greatly appreciate it. Any other input, questions, or what not is welcome as well.

Sure.

Why not do that:

-Change the creature type to Construct

-Make their CHA 1, INT 3, and WIS 10

-Add the Reaction: Arcane Core Absorption and the Action: Arcane Core Channeling

Arcane Core Absorption:

By spending its reaction, the Construct can cast Counterspell as a 9th level spell. If successful, the creature recharge the Arcane Core Channeling action

Arcane Core Channeling- recharge (special)

The creature cast Magic Missile, at a level equivalent to the one of the spell Counterspelled by Arcane Core Absorption. Using this action makes the creature Vulnerable to piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damages until the end of its next turn.

So, what do you think?

DMThac0
2018-06-06, 02:21 PM
@Corpsecandle717

Yea, I've got a spreadsheet I'm putting together with all the creature building information, it's about half done, most of the algorithms are put together, I'm trying to reverse engineer the special attacks, traits, lair/legendary actions, and add fields for custom attacks, traits, etc.

It is a struggle trying to implement something like this and what you offered is what I was trying to do as a starting point.

@Unoriginal:

I like the idea so far, it's a really good start. I am of a mind to avoid using Magic Missile as the counter attack however. Maybe make it a unique single blast, it gives a chance to avoid taking damage, but scales to the countered spell? The idea of implementing vulnerabilities is rather interesting, would it be problematic to make that part of the Arcane Core Absorbtion function?

Unoriginal
2018-06-06, 02:46 PM
@Unoriginal:

I like the idea so far, it's a really good start. I am of a mind to avoid using Magic Missile as the counter attack however. Maybe make it a unique single blast, it gives a chance to avoid taking damage, but scales to the countered spell?

Could work, you're the one who decides.

The idea of implementing vulnerabilities is rather interesting, would it be problematic to make that part of the Arcane Core Absorbtion function?

What, making it vulnerable any time it uses the Reaction? No problem that I can see, no.

Also, given they're construct, making them take double damage from adamantine weapons would be logical.