PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Sight and Color

Kotenkiri
2018-06-06, 01:49 PM
Does Warlock Devil's Sight invocation alows the user to see color?
One of my pc refuses to my ruling that it doesn't because he's hung up on "see normally in darkness". He plays an Aasimar warlock.

Edit: Ive been using Devil Sight trait from Imp where it says "Devil's Sight, Magical darkness doesn't impede the imp's darkvision" as my ruling.

DMThac0
2018-06-06, 01:53 PM
two parts to the answer:

1: You're the DM so your ruling should be law.

2: I lean toward agreeing with him

It does not say they gain darkvision which uses the grey scale
The terminology "normally", in this case, leads to the interpretation that it's color.

I would rule that it would be colored sight, but I am also able to see your interpretation which is why I gave both sides of the answer.

leogobsin
2018-06-06, 01:56 PM
I would say that it does. Darkvision specifically calls out that it doesn't let you see color, Devil's Sight doesn't so I don't think there's any reason it should make you see in black and white.

Demonslayer666
2018-06-06, 02:21 PM
They see normally, so whatever their normal vision would be, that's how they see in darkness too. Devil's Sight is not Darkvision. How is it that you interpret normal vision to mean non-color?

I agree that what the DM says goes, but did you spring this on the player mid-game?

Why is it a big deal if they see in color? Can't they just use a light source to see in color anyway?

Segev
2018-06-06, 02:25 PM
IIRC, Devil's Sight in 3e explicitly called out that it granted color vision in darkness and magical darkness.

5e, it just is explicit about magical darkness. However, it also says "normally," as others have mentioned. It never mentions "darkvision," so referencing Darkvision's rules in any way is a mistake. There is nothing in the rules to suggest that it would be different from their normal vision, and seeing only in black and white is different from normal vision.

Is there a reason you want to rule that it's black and white only?

Davrix
2018-06-06, 02:42 PM
my question is why does color matter but I agree. Devil sight is not dark-vision.

Lunali
2018-06-06, 03:03 PM
By RAW you see color in darkness but not in dim light. (unless you also have darkvision)

darknite
2018-06-06, 03:06 PM
My call's been that it's magic and they see normally.

Millstone85
2018-06-06, 04:42 PM
By RAW you see color in darkness but not in dim light. (unless you also have darkvision)The RAW on dim light says nothing about color.