PDA

View Full Version : Evasion/reflex saves in tight spaces

onlyfro
2018-06-06, 03:23 PM
I've been reading several forums on this topic, and everyone seems to conclude that a character can use evasion and make a reflex save regardless of the environment or circumstances.

But in the DMG glossary, it states that a character must have room to move in order to evade (As with any reflex save).

So if I'm in a small pit or narrow tunnel, can I save against the fireball, or not?

onlyfro
2018-06-06, 03:26 PM
Let me quantify: if I am a medium creature in a 5' wide pit or 2.5' wide tunnel, can I make a reflex save?

eggynack
2018-06-06, 03:32 PM
The rules seem pretty explicit about why they mean by that. It's not that you need a lot of room to move about. It's that you literally need to be capable of moving. A 5 ft. wide pit would be fine, because there's nothing preventing your movement within the square. A 2.5 ft. wide tunnel is obviously not allowed, because that section specifically calls out that exact thing as not allowing you to use evasion. Broadly speaking, you're fine if you can move freely within a square, but a certain level of un-free movement will stop you from using evasion. I can only assume that the 2.5 ft. wide tunnel is the upper bound on impossible evasion, which would render a 2.6 ft. wide tunnel fine.

Venger
2018-06-06, 03:36 PM
you need to be able to move as in not bound, held, grappled, helpless, or paralyzed, but you do not need to have another square to move into. if you're squeezing, you can make ref saves and use evasion normally. it's a popular piece of our shared canon that in circumstances like this, rogues momentarily teleport away to another dimension called "roguespace" and then reappear after the fireball or whatever is gone.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-06-06, 03:40 PM
Keep in mind that defensive actions besides moving out of the way (such as covering your eyes with your arm, or drop-and-roll during movement) are also explained by Evasion.

onlyfro
2018-06-06, 03:45 PM
DMG states also that a bound character, or one squeezing through an area, cannot use evasion.

But does that prevent normal reflex saves also?

onlyfro
2018-06-06, 03:51 PM
Maybe my source right now is faulty? I'm referencing Special Abilities on d20srd.org

Venger
2018-06-06, 03:57 PM
DMG states also that a bound character, or one squeezing through an area, cannot use evasion.

But does that prevent normal reflex saves also?
Nope, looks like you're right about squeezing. DMG p293. You can't use evasion when squeezing or bound. I forget, squeezing doesn't come up that often in my experience.

Maybe my source right now is faulty? I'm referencing Special Abilities on d20srd.org

Your source is fine. I was just looking in the wrong area.