PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a half-celestial commoner?

Talwar
2018-06-06, 09:45 PM
I decided to try something...different...this time around and create a character using the Commoner NPC class and the Half-Celestial template on top of a 25 point buy. The character's at Level 3, with +2 level adjustment so he can just level at the same time as everybody else for the expected life of the game.

His one weapon proficiency is a light crossbow; between masterwork studded armor, a Dex score of 20, and stuff like DR, flight and some energy resistances, he's reasonably protected.

Story-wise, he's a chaotic good teenager who's run off to find fame and fortune and, as the game begins, is joining in a grass-roots effort to rescue a captured spiritual leader.

I initially gave him Rapid Reload, Point-Blank Shot, and Iron Will for feats (levels 1 and 3, plus human bonus). However, these kind of strike me as...useful/optimal in a way that maybe this character shouldn't be. So I'm curious: What uncommonly used feats might be fun for an arrogant, overpowered kid with lots of peasant experience but no combat experience?

Troacctid
2018-06-07, 03:01 AM
How about the Celestial Scion feat from Dragon #315? The effect depends on your parentage, but it seems like a clear flavor win to me.

Nifft
2018-06-07, 03:35 AM
I initially gave him Rapid Reload, Point-Blank Shot, and Iron Will for feats (levels 1 and 3, plus human bonus). However, these kind of strike me as...useful/optimal in a way that maybe this character shouldn't be. So I'm curious: What uncommonly used feats might be fun for an arrogant, overpowered kid with lots of peasant experience but no combat experience? Simple Weapon Proficiency so you get proficient with peasant weapons like clubs, quarterstaves, hatchets, darts, sickles, daggers. That's your "militia training" in a feat.

Or maybe you're too proud to use melee weapons, so you took Improved Unarmed Strike instead.

If you want hilarious Commoner stuff, check out Dragon #330 for stuff like Chicken Infested.

How about the Celestial Scion feat from Dragon #315? The effect depends on your parentage, but it seems like a clear flavor win to me.

Taking that feat makes you a minor noble from one of the main families which rule(d) the Great Kingdom / Ahlissa / North Kingdom / Solnor Compact.

Since this is for a peasant Commoner rather than any kind of Aristocrat, I'm not sure it's appropriate.

Telonius
2018-06-07, 05:43 AM
How long is the game expected to go? If you're going to be in long enough to take a Prestige Class, something like Fortune's Friend seems like it could be thematic (since he's mostly a Commoner surviving on his luck). A Luck feat (from Complete Scoundrel) would be required for that. You'd also start qualifying for the Survivor PrC (Savage Species) very soon, if you want to keep your BAB low.

Talwar
2018-06-07, 02:49 PM
I'll be sure to check out Dragon for the weird stuff.

The DM hasn't given us a sense of how long the game will go. I'd surprised if we get to Level 10. A lot of this group's PBP games only last 3-5 levels, it seems.

One possible catch going forward is that the DM's not sure he'll let me MC out of commoner. That'll mean relatively slow growth in terms of combat capability. I might want the kid to transition/mature into a strong supporting role instead.

Nifft
2018-06-07, 03:07 PM
I'll be sure to check out Dragon for the weird stuff.

The DM hasn't given us a sense of how long the game will go. I'd surprised if we get to Level 10. A lot of this group's PBP games only last 3-5 levels, it seems.

One possible catch going forward is that the DM's not sure he'll let me MC out of commoner. That'll mean relatively slow growth in terms of combat capability. I might want the kid to transition/mature into a strong supporting role instead.

There's one prestige class aimed strongly at Commoners -- the Survivor class in Savage Species. It's a 5-level PrC which helps you survive (as the name implies), but doesn't help your combat strength much. It might be a good match for a dedicated support character.

If you're a Silverbrow Human (from Dragon Magic) then you'd have the [Dragonblood] subtype, which would allow you to get scaling benefits from the Draconic Aura feat. That's a potential support-buff you could apply to the whole party.