PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Princess Paladin

Waterdeep Merch
2018-06-06, 10:02 PM
I have a friend that's setting up a game soon, and he wanted to add some wacky randomness by way of tables for just about everything. Long story short, I ended up rolling up an aridni (check it out here (https://koboldpress.com/races-of-midgard-aridni/)) paladin princess (noble background) with an incredibly privileged upbringing in a fairy kingdom. Like, Mary Sue levels of privileged. I also have a pixie best friend that counts as a familiar. Seriously.

My stats ended up:
STR: 7
DEX: 19 (17)
CON: 14
INT: 13
WIS: 11
CHA: 16 (15)

I was thinking of going two-weapon fighting and asking if I can take the appropriate fighting style at 2, playing at a sort of berserker glass cannon style. What would you guys do with a monster like this?

Roleplaying ideas would also be greatly appreciated. Especially any way that I can play this without annoying the living hell out of my party.

CTurbo
2018-06-07, 05:13 AM
I LOVE this! lol Sounds awesome

Paladins don't get Two Weapon Fighting by RAW but I'm sure allowing it would not be breaking anything. A lot of the Paladin's best/most common spells use the Bonus Action though so that off-hand attack is going to have some competition. I think I'd stick to Dueling or Defense.

Have you thought about which Oath to take? I can see Ancients for this character.

carrdrivesyou
2018-06-07, 06:16 AM
I'd definitely go Oath of Ancients for flavor here. Just too much flavor and RP to miss out on.

Mechanically, I would suggest a rapier and a shield. Grab the Mobile feat, and just make strafing flyby smite attacks. stay out of the way, deal good damage and keep the whole "fey" thing going.

Just my thoughts.
-Carr

Ninja_Prawn
2018-06-07, 07:34 AM
Roleplaying ideas would also be greatly appreciated. Especially any way that I can play this without annoying the living hell out of my party.

Have you spoken to the other players about it? That'd be good start.

Using the linked rules, you'll be a small humanoid, so that heads off a lot of potential issues that you might have had if you were a tiny fey. Beyond that, I'd say make sure you can speak Common and on a meta level, try not to steal the limelight (which is something you should be doing anyway). And have fun with it!

Of course, I must admit to being a bit upset that you're not using my fey races (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3crmpfdbc5u5x5/Fey%20Creatures%20Complete.pdf?dl=0) or princess class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482608-Zaydos-Princess-Updated-for-5e)...

Fishyninja
2018-06-07, 08:53 AM
Ninjaprawn has given you the most important bits.

For the Oath, Ancients could work, possibly the Crown (considering you are a princess).

How about this for Roleplay ideas, think of a sort of Moana, Veneolpe Von Scweetz, Princess Jasmine type set up.
i.e. You love your kingdom and would do anything for it, but you are a free soul who wants to have fun and see the world and find out whom you are!

DigitalCharlie
2018-06-07, 09:25 AM
Have you read I Hate Fairyland? It might be a place to get some amusing inspiration for a fairy princess who has gone... off the rails?

Falcon X
2018-06-07, 01:10 PM
Princess Bubbles:
Princess Bubbles does beauty pageants and she wants something more interesting to say whenever they ask “what are your hobbies?” So, she became an adventurer.

Bubbles has a familiar, or mount because she is small enough. It is a chihuahua. Indeed, even when she summons it as a bat, horse, etc. it has the head of a chihuahua.

If there is a Bard on the team, she is his BIGGEST fan and hits on him constantly.
- Her chihuahuas name is Prince _________ (Bards name), after him.

Bubbles has the Spell Sniper feat. Why?
- Because her favored weapon is a whip, which she beats her enemies while calling them “pitiful” and “peasants”. Spell sniper allows her to channel touch spells through the 10’ of the whip, allowing her to be a strong 2nd line fighter.
- Spell Sniper gives her Eldritch Blast that ignites cover and has double distance.
The somatic component involves holding a stick, sword, or tube and firing out of it like the machine gun toting, battle princess she is.

Bubbles multiclasses into Bard.
- Pulls off the Sorcadin thing of having lots of smite slots
- Her method of inspiring others is yelling things like “no, you fool. Slash skeletons against the grain of the bones, not with it!”
Or “If you don’t make this shot, I’m telling daddy, and he will sue your butt.”
- Her battlesong repertoire consists of showtunes and throatsinging.

Bubbles may not actually be a princess. She might just be a noblewoman who pretends to be one.
Her name isn’t actually Bubbles, she just insists on being called that.
She frequently has to stop traveling to go pee.
Bubbles does have a pony. She doesn’t ride it, it just carries all her clothes and portable fairy home. It is pink, male, and always in heat.
Her character model is Vespa off of Spaceballs.

If homebrew is an option, consider the Oath of Love: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/3lmlfy/the_oath_of_love_paladin_be_a_charming_defender/

nickl_2000
2018-06-07, 01:17 PM
Why not go the opposite. She may look like a prissy, stuck up, spoiled brat. However, when it comes down to it she is a complete bada**. She takes control, drops all affections, and completely destroys everything in her path. As soon as it's over she dusts off her pink frilly full plate and cleans the leftover bugbear guts off her sword, looking at someone saying "they insulted my rainbow hair, no one insults my hair"

Ninja_Prawn
2018-06-07, 01:40 PM
"they insulted my rainbow hair, no one insults my hair"

Reminds me of something that happened in my game a couple of months ago...

Out of Character:
Yeah Kyu would for sure be stylish... she would change it up quite often sometimes not wearing gloves, sometimes only wearing one of the gloves and not the other, sometimes ribbons, sometimes no ribbons, sometimes too many ribbons.In Character:
"furthermore, miss Sweetbreeze is charged with crimes against fashion."
"Cri... Crimes against fashion!?" Kyu could handle the large sentence, Kyu could handle the whole trial process and shrug it off as bureaucracy and dumb rules that she didn't fully understand or care about in the first place. But targeting HER specifically for crimes against fashion, the cutest one in the whole party. She puffed her cheeks out fuming internally, holding herself back for the sakes of the mission.Out of Character:
Okay guys new quest given by Kyu: Ribbonlution. We are going to make sure everyone in this court has the right to wear as many ribbons as they want. Fight for ribbon rights!

Nifft
2018-06-07, 02:01 PM
Like, Mary Sue levels of privileged. I also have a pixie best friend that counts as a familiar. Seriously. Just a note here -- the whole Mary Sue problem was that every other character in the universe bent over backwards to like Mary Sue, and to agree with & justify all of her actions, no matter how out-of-character that agreement / justification / liking was.

As long as the universe is allowed to disagree with and/or dislike your character, you're not playing a Mary Sue.

But if you want to play a self-destructive Mary Sue, there is a way. Just take and use the Friends cantrip. You will enforce friendship on all NPCs you meet, and then you'll be hated -- just as a Mary Sue ought to be.

I was thinking of going two-weapon fighting and asking if I can take the appropriate fighting style at 2, playing at a sort of berserker glass cannon style. What would you guys do with a monster like this?

Roleplaying ideas would also be greatly appreciated. Especially any way that I can play this without annoying the living hell out of my party. The previously suggested Oath of Ancients is a great fit flavor-wise, and it's also great mechanically. Ancients is a winner all around.

I'd suggest single-weapon, perhaps a Whip -- that's a Finesse + Reach weapon, which allows you to Smite from 10 ft. away, and in your case that might be 10 ft. overhead.

"Don't make me crack my whip! It's imported Feywild dragon-leather, you know! It's really hard to get the blood and ichor out! Especially the ichor! You better not have ichor, you filthy ... uh ... thing!"

Consider taking Magic Initiate (Wizard) at level 4 for Prestidigitation (to clean your imported dragon-leather whip), Silent Image (to sparkle), and Find Familiar.

Another way to go might be to rate all NPCs and encounters on how much they like you, and on how many people you were able to make happy. Keep explicit score on paper at the table.

NPCs met: 1 2 5

NPCs who like me: 0 1 3

NPCs I made happy: 0 0 2

Waterdeep Merch
2018-06-07, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys, this has given me a lot of great ideas! I was initially planning on strictly using twin shortswords, but a whip is a fantastic idea, too. Which leads into a new wrinkle: I'm getting a bonus first level feat.

My first thought was to cap Dex with Resilient for a boring but effective improvement, but Mobile and Magic Initiate open up entirely new methods of play. And Dual Wielder could make me a twin whip user, which is interesting all by itself (ribbons everywhere!).

I'm thinking either keep the shortswords and go Mobile to buzz in and out like an insect, take a single whip and go MI to really play up the magical princess angle, or go double rainbow with Dual Wielder and be a magical girl.

I'm really leaning into that double ribbons. That's absolutely hilarious.

Ancients is definitely the way to go, I love the feel of it. I don't know how much of the Aridni lore my DM is planning on using (possible none given my squeaky clean backstory in an enchanted kingdom here), but they've got a habit of serving wizards. Developing defenses against magic at the same time that I gain nature-themed powers is perfect!

I know the basics of the rest of my party now, too. We've agreed on a team stealth approach:
Kenku barbarian- He's considered a 'seasoned' career adventurer by his kind, having trained under an adventurer who originally held him hostage before helping her out. Now he's always looking for new groups to help out.
Genasi bard- Type to be determined. He believes that the secrets of the multiverse are best described as music. He studies it as both a scholar and in a religious sense, and travels across worlds in search of new sounds and songs to better his understanding.
Gearforged war cleric- An automaton so ancient that it no longer remembers who built it or why. It was fixed up by a bartender in some slums and served as a walking keg, where it became obsessed with the concept of love. Looking for love led it to the church of a war god, where it then became terrified of the idea that it might not have a soul and thus would not be allowed into heaven upon death. It dedicated itself to it's new god, but prefers waging battle on the backline with a bow due to it's fear.
Kobold rogue- I know very little about her backstory. Apparently it's a new take on an old character from a game I wasn't in.
Eladrin ranger- Her backstory is yet to be determined. She's pickier than most of the other players when it comes to races and classes she likes playing, so we just came up with a combination she liked.

We're also all supposed to be the reincarnations of other things, with the DM especially wanting non-humanoid creatures. So I've picked a lamassu. I have absolutely no idea what effect, if any, this will actually have.