PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me set up my Session 0

BBQ Pork
2018-06-06, 11:30 PM
Help me set up my Session 0!

Explanation: I am taking over DMing for my group. I’ve been playing with the same DM since ’94 and we switch off. So I know him well. This year and last, Steve ran a 2e campaign (Modified Dragonlance “What if different characters answered the call.) We are all new to 5e and I am running it. My co-DM has been watching people on YouTube play the newer editions.

I will run the Sunless Citadel from the Yawning Portal book as a sort of "sea trials", then run the Tomb of Annihilation as a campaign.

Intro: How I run my game
Short version (they know what this means) : “Pretty much like Steve, although I might throw in a few slightly jokey things from time to time. I also have an affinity to handing out “gadget” magic items, rather than big bonus number items.”
No Evil characters, no PVP. How you handle party treasure and magic item picks is up to you. The method used in the last campaign worked for me. (Most of the players are related or have known each other out of game for a long time.)
Food and such: We play at Steve’s house. As DM, I’ll feed myself before arriving and be standing most of the time. Steve and provides food, but the others bring a few snacks, and leftover snacks are stashed for the next game. (Also, I’m on a Keto diet and so I will abstain from most of theirs anyway) No drinking, no drugs. No smoking inside the house.
Character death: It happens. I will have a backup character or two available. Take it, or roll up your own. If the party has resources to Raise or Rez the member, that’s their choice. (Unfortunately, I will be running Tomb of Annihilation, so that will nix the rez, not my usual rulings.) If you die, y’all can divvy up the fallen dude’s major gear.
XP will be calculated post-game by the DM and leveling will occur pre-game at the next session.
Character absence: No Risk=No Reward. If your character is missing, it won’t get XP for a session it misses. If the player misses a session, the character does too, unless someone else is willing to play it, or it is vital to the DM’s plotline. If a player quits the campaign, the character “gets lost in the woods” and might show up again if we need a spare character or the players returns.
Loss of equipment: Stealing and replacing all your stuff is a PITA for the DM and a frustration for players. I don’t do that unless I HAVE to.
(Appropriateness at the table. I don’t have to address this with them. We keep things PG-13. I do not address drugs or sexual topics in my games. I downplay alcohol use as we have a recovering alcoholic there.)

I explain their characters:
Each of you have a folder. (The DM and co-DM worked with the players to write up exactly what they wanted) Page 1 is your character sheet. Following, are sheets with the pertinent info for your race and class. Each “kit”, “tradition”, “archtype” or “path” that you can take for that class is a separate set of sheets. Whatever path you don’t take, I’ll pull those sheets out. Being our first try at 5e, if we find that a path doesn’t work, we can adjust. The folders stay at the DM’s house.
You will see some things are highlighted in yellow. Those things are stuff that might be important in combat, and are available at your current level.
The last sheet in your folder is your spell list, if you have spells. You will have the PHB available, and a set of spell cards.
I will be using: The PHB (minus Tieflings and Dragonborn, unless you specifically ask for them), DM Guide and Monster Manual.
I will be using the spells from XgtE. I will be using the Tal’Dorei book for the setting (map, place names, deities and general setting), but not Mr. Mercer’s homebrew stuff.

I get into the differences with 5E
ACs and initiatives are best to be high numbers. Always try to roll high.
Initiative is D20+modifier, high roll wins.
To Hit is D20+modifiers, meet or beat enemy AC.
Critical Hits are: roll all the damage dice twice and add them up. Class/race features might add even more. No Critical Fumbles.
You will probably do Piercing, Slashing or Bludgeoning damage with your weapons. Damage types matter. Spells might do Fire, Cold, Acid, Force, Poison, Psychic, Necrotic, Radiant, Lightning or Thunder damage. Something with Resistance against a damage type takes half damage. Those with Vulnerability take double.
*Explain Advantage/Disadvantage*
Saving throws are based on stats now. Roll 1d20 plus appropriate modifiers, you’ll be told the DC.
Short Rest: Spend 1 hour of down time doing very little activity and roll up to half your HD (Con modifiers included), and heal that much.
Long Rest: Spend at least 8 hours of down time (6 hours sleeping, 2 hours whatever), regain ALL lost HP, and then up to half of their lost HD, (minimum 1). (No more than 1 long rest/day. Must start the rest with at least 1HP.)
If you are a spellcaster, you may have to roll dice to have your spell take effect, or a creature may get a save against your spells. Your folder will have the formula.

<I explain weapon and armor proficiencies>
Houserule: If you have Heavy Armor Proficiency, you will get Heavy Armor Mastery free. Otherwise, IMO, heavy armors won't be worth the expense, weight or hassle.

Finally, we start to play.
The Druid and the Barbarian met earlier (I explain this in a brief run-through separately after Steve’s final session) I give them the adventure hook of the white and black apples at the Sunless Citadel.
The rest know each other through the Paladin, who is enough of a link through their backstories. I sort of railroad them “It’s lunch time and you smell fresh baked bread coming from the inn. ” from to the tavern, where the only remaining seats are at a large table, occupied by the first two. (The local humans choose not to sit at the table with the scowling elven druid and the even scarier half-orc barbarian.) Now, the two groups meet each other. At some point, a NPC drops the “You here to rescue the Hucreles?” hook for the module.

Am I missing anything?

BBQ Pork
2018-06-06, 11:37 PM
I made a separate mini-folder of all the animal entries in MM.
When the Druid hits L2, everything that she has seen and can wildshape into will be highlighted. This will be adjusted as she levels and as she sees new creatures.

Magzimum
2018-06-07, 02:29 AM
Allow the players (not the characters, the players) to have a chat before starting. What do they expect? Are there any things that annoy them in gameplay, or things they really would like to be able to do?
Examples could be:

Can players attack each other?
In battle: approach enemies, or run away (i.e. kiting)
Share loot, or be sneaky?
Roleplay: Include all players, or does the one with the highest Cha do all the talking?
In battle and roleplay: Be result oriented, be the most epic (but not always the smartest) or even just have the most fun (and be sub-optimal)?

Expectation management is a lot easier if you are aware of the expectations. A lot of conflicts between players, or between player and DM have their origins in different expectations of how to play the game.

Pelle
2018-06-07, 04:27 AM
It sounds like you have everything sorted out, you just need to inform the players and they have to accept. That's fine, but you could also use the session 0 to ask what kind game the players want to play, their expectations and preferences, what kind of challenges they like and motivations they want for their characters and so on. This might not be the best format for your group, but if that's only what you want to run that's ok too.

2D8HP
2018-06-07, 06:47 AM
Seems like way more actually useful information than I usually see, as most recent DM's mostly just want to narrate a bit on "10,000 years ago the Aargle-baargles came to the realms of Whatsitlandia" and I tune out, so what you've listed looks way better!

Good luck

Armored Walrus
2018-06-07, 07:00 AM
In your "differences of 5e" you may want to highlight that 1's and 20's on ability checks are not crits; they don't auto-succeed or auto-fail. Unless you're houseruling that. Might want to breifly highlight the action economy of 5e as well, since it's different than previous versions, (ie. on your turn you can move, take an action, plus one free item interaction, plus a possible bonus action, plus one reaction per round) and highlight how Ready is different from Holding your turn.

BBQ Pork
2018-06-07, 01:10 PM
Thank you all for responding, and for your kind words, 2D8HP.

In your "differences of 5e" you may want to highlight that 1's and 20's on ability checks are not crits; they don't auto-succeed or auto-fail. Unless you're houseruling that. Might want to breifly highlight the action economy of 5e as well, since it's different than previous versions, (ie. on your turn you can move, take an action, plus one free item interaction, plus a possible bonus action, plus one reaction per round) and highlight how Ready is different from Holding your turn.
Thank you. This is good to know.
I'll have to review Ready vs. Holding, and the economy of action.

I might keep the rule of "1s are fails, 20s are hits" that we had in our previous campaign. Keep that expectation the players had. I'm just changing hot Crits work from 2e, where the whole of the damage was doubled, and dropping the other DM's critical fumble chart. It punished players.

Pelle,
I see your point. I think that by establishing that much of the campaign will be like the last one, the general tone should be set, but I will keep an eye on things if they start to go sideways.

Allow the players (not the characters, the players) to have a chat before starting. What do they expect? Are there any things that annoy them in gameplay, or things they really would like to be able to do?
Examples could be:

Can players attack each other? :smallsmile: I don't expect this to be an issue, as we don't do PVP. It's a game-killer. If it starts to break out, I will put the brakes on. Full stop. The PVP will have to be an entirely compartmentalized thing, and the issue will have to be resolved before the campaign can be moved forward. Unless a character is mind-controlled by a NPC or something, then that's different.
In battle: approach enemies, or run away (i.e. kiting) :smallsmile: Whatever tactics work for the battle, within the rules. (Attacks of Opportunity?) Poisoning their foes' breakfasts rather than face them on the battlefield would work to..... until the PCs alignments got in the way.
Share loot, or be sneaky? :smallsmile: Most of the loot will be announced openly by the DM. Rarely does this group split off individually.
Roleplay: Include all players, or does the one with the highest Cha do all the talking? :smallsmile: We try to involve everyone. Usually, it's the boldest player or the character who is most 'culturally appropriate to the NPCs' that does the talking, not the one with the highest CHA.
In battle and roleplay: Be result oriented, be the most epic (but not always the smartest) or even just have the most fun (and be sub-optimal)? Not sure. This reminds me. Inspirations. At the end of each session, I will have to either hand out an Inspiration to whomever RP'ed their character the best, or did something really impressive.

Expectation management is a lot easier if you are aware of the expectations. A lot of conflicts between players, or between player and DM have their origins in different expectations of how to play the game.

Armored Walrus
2018-06-07, 01:34 PM
Just to clarify, in 5e there is no Holding an Action. You can take the Ready action in order to gain the option to use your reaction later in the round to do something. I think previous editions allowed you to Hold your entire turn, so that's why I brought it up.

The 1's and 20's seems like a common houserule, just pointing out it isn't how 5e is written. Obviously your group is already familiar with it, though and must like it if you've been using it for so long.

Inspiration only really works if you hand it out like candy and remind your players to use it. If you make it a precious, precious thing that only one person gets at the end of the session, it'll just get hoarded and then forgotten - like that potion of spider climb everyone's character sheet has in its inventory at the end of every campaign. So your best bet is to either ignore it, or make sure you give it out every hour or so.

SiCK_Boy
2018-06-07, 07:08 PM
Your rules regarding player absence are not totally clear from reading this (maybe your players already know them). Is the PC of an absent player presumed to follow the party around as a ghost (basically, he's invisible / invincible, does not gain XP, but is considered to know all about what happened upon the player's return and the PC is still with the party)?

If you actually look for story reasons to have the missing player's PC leave the party and return only when the player is back, you may find these two adventures problematic. Sunless Citadel is a long dungeon crawl with little to no instances where a player can leave; the jungles of Chult are an even worse place to start leaving a party on your own and return (how would you locate the party when returning).

Also, is there any reason why you limit the short rest hp gain to half the total Hit Dice? That is not how the rule works by default in the PHB (a player can spend as many HD as he wants - and has - without limit).

Tubben
2018-06-08, 09:23 AM
plus one reaction per round

Need to beware here. Thats not true. It's one reaction per turn, can have without any problems 2 Reactions in a round.

My initative 10, creature 1 has a 20, creature 2 has 5.
Round 1:
at 20 the creature cast fireball, i counterspell with my reaction.
at 10 my reaction refreshes
at 5 creature 2 cast fireball, i counterspell with my reaction.

Round 2, at 20 creature 1 move out of my meleerange. I cant use an AoO, because i dont have my reaction anymore.
At 10 my reaction refreshes.

I used round 1 to show that you have your reaction BEFORE you even had your first turn. But if you dont use your reaction, you will still have it in the next round before your turn.

I still think that the concept of rounds and turns are hard to grasp - was it for me atleast.

Armored Walrus
2018-06-08, 10:08 AM
I'm AFB, but unless the PHB is worded differently than the SRD, then I was correct.

When you take a reaction, you can’t take another one until the start of your next turn.

Edit: NM, I get what you're saying. I can take one reaction before my turn in a round, and one after my turn in the same round. But one reaction "per turn" is also not quite accurate. It's one reaction "per your turn."

BBQ Pork
2018-06-08, 12:26 PM
Your rules regarding player absence are not totally clear from reading this (maybe your players already know them). Is the PC of an absent player presumed to follow the party around as a ghost (basically, he's invisible / invincible, does not gain XP, but is considered to know all about what happened upon the player's return and the PC is still with the party)?

If you actually look for story reasons to have the missing player's PC leave the party and return only when the player is back, you may find these two adventures problematic. Sunless Citadel is a long dungeon crawl with little to no instances where a player can leave; the jungles of Chult are an even worse place to start leaving a party on your own and return (how would you locate the party when returning).
Hopefully it doesn't come up. It would have to take a certain amount of handwaving and suspension of disbelief.
"He went to take a leak behind a tree and got lost. You couldn't find him at the time. Now he wanders back into camp with hassle-berry vine scratches all over him." ...would be kind of lame.

Also, is there any reason why you limit the short rest hp gain to half the total Hit Dice? That is not how the rule works by default in the PHB (a player can spend as many HD as he wants - and has - without limit).

Thanks for the catch. That's the reason I made this thread, was to have people catch mistakes before they are made on the table!
As per the PHB:

A short rest is a period o f downtime, at least 1 hour long,
during which a character does nothing more strenuous
than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.
A character can spend one or more Hit Dice at the end
o f a short rest, up to the character’s maximum number
of Hit Dice, which is equal to the character's level. For
each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die
and adds the character’s Constitution modifier to it. The
character regains hit points equal to the total. The player
can decide to spend an additional Hit Die after each roll.
A character regains some spent Hit Dice upon finishing
a long rest, as explained below.

I must have gotten the idea of half from the description of Long Rest.
It seems rather generous. Perhaps all PCs are part Troll in 5e? (just kidding.)
I think I'm okay with this for now.

To be Edited in: The rules for hitting 0 HP, and Death Saving Throws, as per the PHB.