PDA

View Full Version : Battlemap question as a new DM

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-07, 08:40 AM
How do you print these things properly, I don't currently have access to a plotter as the one at work is busted. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to print it on 8.5*11 sheets and then maybe taping it together? The map that I have is meant to be 24" by 36".

DMThac0
2018-06-07, 09:09 AM
Grab some cardstock and download this pdf (https://dinodung.wordpress.com/downloads/1-inch-grid-sheet/). It's quick and dirty if you're in a pinch, just tape up the pieces.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-07, 11:52 AM
I actually have a piece of plexiglass with a 1" grid scored into it, I'm looking more at how to print the batttlemaps that are available, Though I guess not scaling to fit and using borderless might work.

DMThac0
2018-06-07, 11:56 AM
correct, you'd have to print them without any adjustments, I would like to impress again using cardstock or photopaper. Either will not bleed when using markers on, photopaper will be ok with wet erase markers.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-07, 12:32 PM
correct, you'd have to print them without any adjustments, I would like to impress again using cardstock or photopaper. Either will not bleed when using markers on, photopaper will be ok with wet erase markers.

Cardstock wouldn't be too hard, I'm planning on just overlaying the plexiglass on top of the map do you think I should still use cardstock?

DMThac0
2018-06-07, 12:49 PM
It wouldn't hurt, it'll survive a bit more punishment and allow more uses until you can get yourself a proper battle mat or your plotter is up and running.

SiCK_Boy
2018-06-07, 06:54 PM
(I'm no graphic software expert, which will probably show in my difficulties using proper technical terms in this explanation)

I print my battlemaps on either 8 x 11 or 11 x 17 regular paper, then laminate them using a laminating machine. All maps are printed using the 1 inch = 5' scale.

I use GIMP (a free software somewhat equivalent to Photoshop) to prepare my document.

When you have the image of your map, you need to figure out the resolution that image is at (the dpi, which is usually 72 dpi, 200 dpi or even 300 dpi). The larger this number, the bigger the image file is, and the more precise / well defined it'll be.

If your document is at 200 dpi, then every inch of image will measure 200 pixels.

Assuming your map already include the grid, the first step is to resize it so that the grid matches the proper pixel count. You count the number of pixels on the side of one of your squares; if you are lucky, it'll match perfectly the resolution of the file (so, if your file has a 200 dpi resolution and you measure a square and it measures 200 pixels, you are good to go). If the ratio is not good, you resize your image accordingly. For example, if your file is at 200 dpi resolution, and each square measures 100 pixels, then resize it to double the size and it'll be fine.

At that point, I usually try to break down the map in multiple files if it is larger than 8 x 10 or 10 x 16 (I prefer to leave a certain margin of white when I print).

To actually print the files, I use Paint as it includes an option to print at the "original size" (meaning a map that is at 200 dpi and whose size is 2000 x 3000 pixels will print as a real-life 10 inches by 15 inches map.

I hope this helps. I learned all of this stuff with some Googling when I started making my battlemaps. The key point is to know the map resolution, then make sure the size matches with the resolution.

Dhuraal
2018-06-07, 07:02 PM
Look up PosteRazor (http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/)

It lets you take an image and pick a size. Then splits it appropriately for regular size paper to be put together after printing.

Derpaligtr
2018-06-07, 08:50 PM
How do you print these things properly, I don't currently have access to a plotter as the one at work is busted. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to print it on 8.5*11 sheets and then maybe taping it together? The map that I have is meant to be 24" by 36".

You could just not use a map.

Get a ruler for everyone and 1" = 5'. Use minis on the table and whatever for some other things (Legos work for structures). You don't need to be exact.

Legos and cardboard strips are awesome for this.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-07, 11:46 PM
It wouldn't hurt, it'll survive a bit more punishment and allow more uses until you can get yourself a proper battle mat or your plotter is up and running.

Thank you for all the advice.

When you have the image of your map, you need to figure out the resolution that image is at (the dpi, which is usually 72 dpi, 200 dpi or even 300 dpi). The larger this number, the bigger the image file is, and the more precise / well defined it'll be.

If your document is at 200 dpi, then every inch of image will measure 200 pixels.

Assuming your map already include the grid, the first step is to resize it so that the grid matches the proper pixel count. You count the number of pixels on the side of one of your squares; if you are lucky, it'll match perfectly the resolution of the file (so, if your file has a 200 dpi resolution and you measure a square and it measures 200 pixels, you are good to go). If the ratio is not good, you resize your image accordingly. For example, if your file is at 200 dpi resolution, and each square measures 100 pixels, then resize it to double the size and it'll be fine.

You know I already had all of this information in my brain but it hadn't clicked together that you could do that... Thanks.

Look up PosteRazor (http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/)

It lets you take an image and pick a size. Then splits it appropriately for regular size paper to be put together after printing.

That looks wonderful for what I'm planning to do.

You could just not use a map.

Get a ruler for everyone and 1" = 5'. Use minis on the table and whatever for some other things (Legos work for structures). You don't need to be exact.

Legos and cardboard strips are awesome for this.

I may incorporate some of that however I'm planning on printing out sat maps and using them as the basis for the battlefields.

BLC1975
2018-06-08, 08:14 AM
Imagine if someone designed a simple program which let you create a map of any size, overlay a 1" grid and then printed it out the correct size on A4 (in the UK) paper to be taped together as one big map.

willdaBEAST
2018-06-08, 03:56 PM
I created a travel sized set up for DnD embracing the limitations of 8.5" x 11 paper limitations and not wanting to open the can of worms to print multiple sheets and stitch them together (a 30 x 22 grid seems to scale well for that). What I'm doing moving forward is printing on the normal sheet of paper with a scaled and small grid (I like to use matte paper since it's more durable than normal paper) and then using a battle mat to quickly marker in key environmental details. This way the detailed map is there for reference and the wet erase battle mat can quickly represent it.

You can set up a grid easily in roll20, place your image and scale it to the grid if you need and then take a select a region screen shot to quickly get a printable image with added tokens for terrain or buildings.

I've noticed that there's almost always a border when I print normally and when trying to print with no borders, I generally lose some part of the image.