PDA

View Full Version : Survived first level Fighter to MC to Warlock

ZorroGames
2018-06-07, 10:12 AM
So, after last times TPK, I renamed Finellen Fireforge and ran her as Finellen Frostbeard and she made second character level.

BLUF: assistance concerning Warlock spells.

So now my Mountain Dwarf Female Fighter has gone Celestial Warlock (when a Ki-Rin calls you to service (aka drafted) you respond.) It was that or Hexblade. This was a very tough decision but she is Lawful/Neutral.

GWF
Gauntlet Faction
Glaive, Warhammer, 2 x Hand Axes, Chainmail, ST 15, DE 10, CO 16, IN 8, WI 12, CH 15. First ASI will be ST and CH +1’s.
Fighter gave +4 Intimidation and +4 Athletics, and Customizing Entertainer background gives +4 Persuasion and +4 Deception.

So, beyond bonus Cantrips of Light and Sacred Flame, Expanded Spell List Cure Wounds and Guiding Bolt, and Healing Light; I need to select my Warlock magic:

2 Cantrips - Eldritch Blast (seems expected) and Mage Hand?

2 Spells Known - Armor of Agathy’s? And Expedititous Retreat?
Considering Expeditious Retreat to get 15’ away from allies and Arms of Hadar as an alternative selection but AoA is that extra safety thought process.
1 First level Slot.

Future: Pact of the Blade. (Pact of the Tome attracted this bookworm but Blade fit the Fighter build better.)

Armored Walrus
2018-06-07, 12:39 PM
Expeditious Retreat seems odd on a Heavy Armor, Heavy Weapon character. Shame you didn't take Hexblade for Shield instead. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a lawful good legendary weapon as your hexblade patron. I do agree that Celestial fits the fluff of serving a Ki-Rin more easily, though. (is it the level 6 hexblade ability that's causing you to shy away from it? Will you even take warlock that high?)

Armor of Agathys is always good.

Protection from Evil might be more thematic? Otherwise, Hex seems like a good fit since you don't have a reliable bonus action that competes with it.

I can't find fault with your cantrip choices.

MintyNinja
2018-06-07, 12:57 PM
Hey, just to clarify something in case you misread it, but the Expanded Spell List does NOT add those spells to your Spells Known, it instead adds them to the List of options you can take when you learn spells. So cool, you got the neat cantrips and such but you still only get 2 Spells Known. I'd say Hex and Healing Word. Being able to bring an ally up off the floor in the middle of combat is incredibly useful and your party healer will be thankful that it's not all on their shoulders. Also, as an prospective Bladelock, Bonus Action Spells allow you to keep attacking every round.

Crgaston
2018-06-07, 11:09 PM
If the character is going Celestial, she'll get a bonus action distance heal as a class feature. Seems redundant to spend a spell slot on it also.

Tanarii
2018-06-07, 11:57 PM
I'd say Hex and Healing Word.
Celestial Warlocks get access to Cure Light Wounds, not Healing Word.

But definitely worth pointing out that the Expanded spell list spells are not automatically known. That was my first thought on reading the OP as well.

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 08:48 AM
Celestial Warlocks get access to Cure Light Wounds, not Healing Word.

But definitely worth pointing out that the Expanded spell list spells are not automatically known. That was my first thought on reading the OP as well.

Probably still in Domain Magic mode from my Cleric character.

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 08:50 AM
Expeditious Retreat seems odd on a Heavy Armor, Heavy Weapon character. Shame you didn't take Hexblade for Shield instead. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a lawful good legendary weapon as your hexblade patron. I do agree that Celestial fits the fluff of serving a Ki-Rin more easily, though. (is it the level 6 hexblade ability that's causing you to shy away from it? Will you even take warlock that high?)

Protection from Evil might be more thematic? Otherwise, Hex seems like a good fit since you don't have a reliable bonus action that competes with it.

Expeditious retreat (extra movement) seems useful on a 25’ movement character - Mountain Dwarf.

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 08:51 AM
If the character is going Celestial, she'll get a bonus action distance heal as a class feature. Seems redundant to spend a spell slot on it also.

Possibly true. Still in “design stage” for Warlock 1 so will consider that.

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 08:54 AM

Well Hexblade was a serious contender but might try that on another character sometime.

Ki-Rin came after choosing Celestial.

Fighter stays at 1 and Warlock might reach 6th so it is a consideration.

Armored Walrus
2018-06-08, 10:12 AM
Sounds like you've made your decisions then. :) Have fun playing it!

Vogie
2018-06-08, 10:34 AM
Expeditious retreat (extra movement) seems useful on a 25’ movement character - Mountain Dwarf.

Because of this, I would NOT use Armor of Agathys - You're not one to stand around and get hit. Being able to move in and out of combat, which it looks like you're trying to do, is a much better idea for a glaive-wielder. AoA will be good if you decide to switch to Sword & Board in the future, or pick up PAM and stay in the splash zone to trigger it, but you don't need it at this moment.

You'll probably get more mileage out of picking up the Fiendish Vigor invocation at level 3 (warlock level 2) so you always start the fight with 8 THP. You'll get rid of it as you go down the tree, at warlock level 5 at the earliest (to swap out for a Blade invocation) or warlock level 10 at the latest (because you get THP for free as a class feature).

I would suggest picking up Guiding bolt eventually, as it'll scale with Cha once you hit Warlock level 6, deals decent damage and provides advantage, but you don't need to pick it up at 1st warlock level.

For your second spell known, I'd probably go either Hex or Hellish rebuke. They'll always be useful, regardless of the fight and level used, and will keep your action open for attacks, just like Expeditious retreat does.

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you've made your decisions then. :) Have fun playing it!

Soft decisions. Lingering thoughts of Hexblade but probably will go with this with consideration for ideas for this thread.

Muchas Gracias to all.