PDA

View Full Version : Dump stat karma

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 09:21 AM
So, we pretty much all do it sometimes, some all the time, in character creation.

How often and which ones do you see peoples’ “dump stats” bite them in the “seating section.”

Mine is usually DE for ST Fighters and whatever stat my full caster MCs chose to dump.

Your experiences?

nickl_2000
2018-06-08, 09:27 AM
I don't play in AL and my group is reliable for who shows up and what characters are there, so dumping stats really isn't as big of a deal as it would be in a more variable group.

My current Moon Druid has a Charisma of 6 (it was a good roll with 4d6d1 ;) ) and it really isn't that big of a deal since there are 2 other party faces. In fact, I find it enjoyable that he is more abrasive and rash in social situations.

MrStabby
2018-06-08, 10:09 AM
As a DM I track saves the party is exposed to to try and ensure that there is an even spread across all of them.

Some encounters may have more banishment and bane (actually rarely use banishment as it sucks for players), some may have more web and grapple effects and others may have more fireballs. The aim is to ensure things are balanced over a campaign.

Sometimes it involves custom spells and sometimes non spell abilities. I have found that things like the mind flayer stun effects have been particularly brutal for the party, involving the end of one character (brain eaten) and death of another (bleeding out as other party members too stunned to assist).

Tanarii
2018-06-08, 11:27 AM
My current Moon Druid has a Charisma of 6 (it was a good role with 4d6d1 ;) ) and it really isn't that big of a deal since there are 2 other party faces. In fact, I find it enjoyable that he is more abrasive and rash in social situations.
My experience is Charisma is by far and large the most easily gotten away with dump stat, ever since it not longer determined henchmen. Because the vast majorty of DMs will let a face do all the talking and only have them make checks. And to a large degree, rightly so. Players should get to choose who represents them, and only people involved in the action should have to make checks.

Personally I use group checks when another player(s) starts side talking or peanut gallery-ing while a party representative is trying to interact with an NPC. So they can totally screw things up by opening their bi2f mouth at the wrong time. But even so, the vast majority of charisma ability checks involve just the party 'Face'.

Int checks are the most common dump stat rear-biting checks for my players. The vasts majority of lore check are individual (ie only that PC gets any related benefit of passing), or grpu2p checks if the players are discissing among themselves trying to come to the right answer. Because as we all know from the forums, people being wrong in a discussion can drag the group down.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-08, 12:02 PM
Playing a Warlock with a WIS of 8 means Perception rolls are not your friend.

Pex
2018-06-08, 01:13 PM
I've seen spellcasters dump ST, me included. They use DX to get out of grapples or Misty Step. Needing to jump 10 ft while it can happen happens rare enough not to be concerned having only an 8 ST and not be an autosuccess. You'll get across somehow, again even if by Misty Step.

Sigreid
2018-06-08, 01:26 PM
An example, put my rolled 4 in strength on a sorcerer. Being a dragonborn got that up to 6. Out on a ship and some sea folk first some sort attack with harpoons, he gets hit and really didn't have a chance of making the strength saving throw to avoid being pulled over the side and into the drink.

Fun times. 😃

2D8HP
2018-06-08, 02:19 PM
One of the most fun for me 5e DM"s kept it challenging (only one to get my PC down to 0HP).

My Rogue had an 8 INT .

The DM used traps.

Findng them without triggering them he ruled an Investigation roll instead of a Perception roll.

Oops.

jas61292
2018-06-08, 02:20 PM
The biggest example for me was when my 8 Int Dragonborn Barbarian perished at the hands of an intellect devourer. I always knew that I was going to pay for my dump stats, but I had always figured it was going to be my 8 Wis that did me in before the Int.

Tanarii
2018-06-08, 03:03 PM
Findng them without triggering them he ruled an Investigation roll instead of a Perception roll.
Not exactly an uncommon ruling, and one I personally use.

Perception lets you spot something is off or there may be a threat. Investigation lets you figure out how something works via deduction. Traps really should involve a little of both. So do hidden compartments and secret doors. You usually get a clue they are there from Perception, then figure out the trigger mechanism or delivery mechanism or release mechanism via Investigation.

But I mostly short-hand all that stuff and make Wisdom (Perception) checks = Spot (mostly creatures), and Intelligence (Investigation) = Search. So Traps and Secret Doors & Compartments are almost always Investigation.

But at least I let people know in advance. :smallamused: