PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Extra Attack Alternatives?

Vogie
2018-06-08, 11:09 AM
In 5e, there's not much variation in the "multiple attacks" space:

Fighters can get up to 4 attacks, gated by levels
Monks can get up to 4 attacks, using Flurry of Blows
All non-rogue dedicated martial classes get a single extra attack at 5
Most spellcasting classes can get a single extra attack at 6 (save Bladelocks)
And then there are a litany of one-offs, such as War Clerics, 'Zerker Barbarians Deep/Gloom Stalker Rangers, high-level Scout & thief rogues, Cavalier & Samurai Fighters, et cetera.

And when you do get them you basically get either:

Extra Attack; or,
Coordinated Attack (Beastmaster Ranger)

Could there be more options for extra attack features?

Ideas for other 5th/6th level "Extra attack" replacements:

War Magic: You can use your action to cast a cantrip and make one weapon attack as a bonus action. (from EK Fighter)
Fast Magic: Whenever you make a weapon attack, your can cast a cantrip using a bonus action (Currently available to only Sorcerers using sorc points to quicken via metamagic)
WarMaster's Strike: when you use the Attack action on your turn, direct one of your companions to strike, it can use its reaction to make a melee attack against any creature within range. (blend of Coordinated attack & Commander's Strike maneuver from BM Fighter)
Rapid Strike: if you take the Attack action on your turn and have advantage on an attack roll against one of the targets, you can forgo the advantage for that roll to make an additional weapon attack against that target, as part of the same action. (from Samurai fighter)

Would these be to strong (or Too weak?) as an extra attack feature? Any that you have used in your Homebrew classes/subclasses?

DapperReaper
2018-06-08, 11:58 AM
I'm still relatively new to 5e, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I got the impression that they were trying to really mitigate extra attacks/actions compared to other d20 systems, if your just looking for more thematic extra attack options, giving mages an extra spell and the like sounds fine for that, but if your suggesting they get these new attack options in addition to what they already have, that might be a balance breaking. I would say go for the thematic replacements and then have those replacements have a minor but unique mechanic, like if the barbarian hits with their bonus attack they recover a turn of rage up to some limit per day based on level or something , just my thoughts on it, but again, not overly familiar with 5e so take that as you will