PDA

View Full Version : Playing my first 5e character if needed. MC thoughts. Thoughts?

ZorroGames
2018-06-08, 12:07 PM
When I schedule some AL DM time I keep a character in reserve just in case I end up playing (not happened yet but...)

Currently it is my first ever 5e character. Mountain Dwarf OH Monk, 4th level, Flint Dankil.

Thinking 🤔 seriously of MC/dipping options after 5th level. My Martial Arts Damage will up to 1D6. I get extra attack and Stunning Strike. Might be time to diversify?

Strongly leaning one (and only one) level of Arcana Cleric for Cantrips and (some Concentration) Spells. Plus Arcane Initiate.

Domain would be Magic Missile (ranged,).and Detect Magic (C) for utility.

So looking at the Cleric Cantrips, I am considering Sacred Flame, Guidance (C,) and Resistance (C.) Comments?

Then, possible 1st level Cleric Spells I see include Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds, or Shield of Faith. Maaaaaybe Guiding Bolt? Ideas? Preferences?

Arcane Initiate could be a SCAG Cantrips like Booming Blade or GFB for a weapon attack. Or something from PHB like Mage Hand or Shocking Grasp? Need to research how that would work with a Monk. Wizard Cantrips using Wisdom seems kind of cool.

Alternatives ideas for a MC or dip?

Vogie
2018-06-08, 02:32 PM
It really depends on your character concept, and that you won't need Evasion anytime soon.

If you don't have any manner of ranged attacks, picking up a ranged cantrip like Chill Touch, Frostbite, Ray of Frost, or Fire bolt should be one of the options. This'll be less important if you use your Cleric Spells to grab Sacred Flame or Toll the dead as cleric cantrips.

Between those 2 you probably won't need to waste a 1st Level Cleric spell on something like Inflict Wounds, And you can use them on things like Bless and Shield of faith (or, if there isn't a dedicated healer in the group, grabbing Healing Word would be a huge boon)

Guidance is always a good option

Willie the Duck
2018-06-08, 02:58 PM
Arcane Initiate could be a SCAG Cantrips like Booming Blade or GFB for a weapon attack. Or something from PHB like Mage Hand or Shocking Grasp? Need to research how that would work with a Monk. Wizard Cantrips using Wisdom seems kind of cool.

Alternatives ideas for a MC or dip?

Well, the alternative that comes to my mind is dip ranger and get nature-y goodness instead and use bows instead of cantrips. But I rather like the cleric-monk.

It will take you to level 11 (monk5/cleric6) until your ranged attack gets comparable to a bow, but it is probably worth it since you get all sorts of goodness. I'm not sure that the SCAG cantrips are all that useful to you--you get multiattack (actually a pretty advanced one, with option for more), and no special weirdness like War Caster OAs or Eldritch Knight effects such that you would want to use them anyways.

ZorroGames
2018-06-09, 10:48 AM
Since he is 4th level maybe a rebuild with 1 level of Arcana Cleric after or before Monk 1?