PDA

View Full Version : Point Buy vs Standard Array

TheCleverGuy
2018-06-08, 12:28 PM
Working up a character for a new campaign, and settled on Stout Halfling Gloom Stalker Ranger, starting at level 1. Using the standard array, plus racial bonuses, I can get the following stats: 8 STR, 16 (14+2) DEX, 14 (13+1) CON, 12 INT, 15 WIS, 10 CHA

Which I think is a pretty decent start. However, talked with the DM, and she prefers the 27-point buy system. Now, I could replicate my standard array scores with no problem, but since I'm not locked in I was wondering whether there was anything I should move around, add/subtract, etc.

We're playing the Curse of Strahd module, but the DM came up with a conceit for our party--we're representing a railroad concern that wants to expand into Barovia and is therefore traveling to meet with Count Strahd. My character will be a native of Barovia, hired as a guide. So I figure I'll be the party's stealth/scout expert mostly.

hymer
2018-06-08, 12:38 PM
Now, I could replicate my standard array scores with no problem, but since I'm not locked in I was wondering whether there was anything I should move around, add/subtract, etc.
Unless you intend to take a +wis half-feat at some point, there's little point in an uneven score there - particularly a 15.

SirGraystone
2018-06-08, 12:52 PM
Depending on the feat you plan on taking, I would put 14 in Wisdom, and either put 15 in Dex (if you plan for a feat that give +1 dex), 10 in Str or 12 in Cha

TheCleverGuy
2018-06-08, 01:08 PM
Unless you intend to take a +wis half-feat at some point, there's little point in an uneven score there - particularly a 15.

Depending on the feat you plan on taking, I would put 14 in Wisdom, and either put 15 in Dex (if you plan for a feat that give +1 dex), 10 in Str or 12 in Cha

I'm not sure about Feats--I believe we only expect to reach level 10, which means I only have 2 ASIs to work with (at lvls 4 and 8). I'm AFB, but I think there's a pretty cool racial feat for Halflings in XGtE that gives a +1 to DEX (Second Chance, I think it is). I don't know what +WIS feats there are, apart from Resilient. You've given much to think about.

Armored Walrus
2018-06-08, 01:12 PM
XGtE gives Halflings a feat that lets them share their luck, too. Not sure if it comes with an attribute boost though. Bountiful Luck I think?

You could also go 10 STR, 17 DEX, 15 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS 10 CHA and use one ASI to get 18 DEX and 16 CON at level 4.

Edit: You could also dump STR and INT further and start with 16 WIS if you want to MC to Monk later.

2D8HP
2018-06-08, 01:23 PM
...I don't know what +WIS feats there are, apart from Resilient. You've given much to think about.

Observant is pretty good, it gives a +1 to INT or WIS, and a +5 to passive Perception and Investigation (if it wasn't for this, I would'nt have guessed that there even was passive Investigation).

TheCleverGuy
2018-06-08, 01:28 PM
XGtE gives Halflings a feat that lets them share their luck, too. Not sure if it comes with an attribute boost though. Bountiful Luck I think?

You could also go 10 STR, 17 DEX, 15 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS 10 CHA and use one ASI to get 18 DEX and 16 CON at level 4.

Edit: You could also dump STR and INT further and start with 16 WIS if you want to MC to Monk later.

Would having only 12 in WIS impact my Ranger spells/abilities, though? I'll have to look carefully to see what skills I have that actually use my WIS mod.

Armored Walrus
2018-06-08, 01:29 PM
(if it wasn't for this, I would'nt have guessed that there even was passive Investigation).

There's Passive everything if the DM chooses to use it. I use Passive Stealth scores quite a bit in my campaigns. Passive Intimidation/Persuasion can color NPC reactions. I look at Passive knowledge skills to determine what level of lore detail I'll provide to the characters up front, without requiring a roll. Granted, Passive Athletics/Acrobatics seems like an oxymoron. :P

KeilFX
2018-06-08, 07:25 PM
Would having only 12 in WIS impact my Ranger spells/abilities, though? I'll have to look carefully to see what skills I have that actually use my WIS mod.

As a Gloomstalker, yes. The lvl3 ability "Dread Ambusher" lets you add your Wisdom mod to your initiative rolls.

On top of this, half-casters do care a fair deal about their spell save DC (less so about their spell attack mod, as is the case with the Ranger). Casting "Fear" to disperse a crowd of enemies so your party can pick them off, laying an ambush with "Cordon of Arrows" can be fun, "Wind Wall" can also be a meaningful spell when ambushed by archers yourself.

If however, your party has a squishy caster who likes to do that sort of thing, you can just shoot it up, save the spell slots for great spells like healing spirit and Hunter's mark

Phoenix042
2018-06-08, 09:28 PM
Working up a character for a new campaign, and settled on Stout Halfling Gloom Stalker Ranger, starting at level 1. Using the standard array, plus racial bonuses, I can get the following stats: 8 STR, 16 (14+2) DEX, 14 (13+1) CON, 12 INT, 15 WIS, 10 CHA

Which I think is a pretty decent start. However, talked with the DM, and she prefers the 27-point buy system. Now, I could replicate my standard array scores with no problem, but since I'm not locked in I was wondering whether there was anything I should move around, add/subtract, etc.

We're playing the Curse of Strahd module, but the DM came up with a conceit for our party--we're representing a railroad concern that wants to expand into Barovia and is therefore traveling to meet with Count Strahd. My character will be a native of Barovia, hired as a guide. So I figure I'll be the party's stealth/scout expert mostly.

I like those scores, because resilient (wis) is a great feat and this lets you take that efficiently; however, gloom stalkers get proficiency in wisdom at 7th level, and int or cha save proficiency isn't nearly as good.

I'd say you want to drop the points in wis (down to 14, giving you two back to spend) and then either drop int to 10 or cha to 8 and bump con to 16 (a great option, since you don't get con save proficiency and this nets you tons of HP and +3 con saves) or leave int alone and bump con to 15, then plan to take resilient (con) at some point for all three good save proficiencies.

Since you're only going to level 10, though, resilient would cost you your 20 dex at 8th level. A steep price, and if I were you I'd rather drop int or cha instead and forget resilient.

Final option; second chance or stout nimbleness can net you a +1 dex, so you could drop wis for a 17 dex and pick up either of those (bountiful luck doesn't give you a dex boost, so that's out for this).

In any case, I wouldn't leave the wisdom at 15. I'd drop that last point and put it to work somewhere else (con or dex are both strong options).

Theodoxus
2018-06-08, 09:47 PM
Are you stuck on Stout? Ghostwise grant a bonus to Wis instead of Con (and have telepathy which meshes well with Gloomstalker).

I don't know if something like Res (Con) is interesting to you... but it's certainly an option.

TheCleverGuy
2018-06-08, 10:17 PM
As a Gloomstalker, yes. The lvl3 ability "Dread Ambusher" lets you add your Wisdom mod to your initiative rolls.

On top of this, half-casters do care a fair deal about their spell save DC (less so about their spell attack mod, as is the case with the Ranger). Casting "Fear" to disperse a crowd of enemies so your party can pick them off, laying an ambush with "Cordon of Arrows" can be fun, "Wind Wall" can also be a meaningful spell when ambushed by archers yourself.

If however, your party has a squishy caster who likes to do that sort of thing, you can just shoot it up, save the spell slots for great spells like healing spirit and Hunter's mark

That Dread Ambusher ability is one of the biggest draws of this subclass to me. There are 4 other players in my party--I know we'll have a Barbarian and a Fighter, and I think the other two are leaning towards Paladin and Cleric but they haven't decided yet. We'll be light on casters and heavy on meatshields, so I may be able to afford leaving CON a bit lower and WIS a bit higher.

I like those scores, because resilient (wis) is a great feat and this lets you take that efficiently; however, gloom stalkers get proficiency in wisdom at 7th level, and int or cha save proficiency isn't nearly as good.

I'd say you want to drop the points in wis (down to 14, giving you two back to spend) and then either drop int to 10 or cha to 8 and bump con to 16 (a great option, since you don't get con save proficiency and this nets you tons of HP and +3 con saves) or leave int alone and bump con to 15, then plan to take resilient (con) at some point for all three good save proficiencies.

Since you're only going to level 10, though, resilient would cost you your 20 dex at 8th level. A steep price, and if I were you I'd rather drop int or cha instead and forget resilient.

Final option; second chance or stout nimbleness can net you a +1 dex, so you could drop wis for a 17 dex and pick up either of those (bountiful luck doesn't give you a dex boost, so that's out for this).

In any case, I wouldn't leave the wisdom at 15. I'd drop that last point and put it to work somewhere else (con or dex are both strong options).

Second Chance is a really a great feat--after looking at the book again I'm almost certain that I want to take that one. I think if I do 8, 17, 16, 10, 14, 8, pick up Second Chance at lvl 4, then once I get to level 8 I can choose to either max out DEX or bump up WIS as needed.

Are you stuck on Stout? Ghostwise grant a bonus to Wis instead of Con (and have telepathy which meshes well with Gloomstalker).

Ghostwise isn't an option (all I've got to go on the PHB and XGtE).

CircleOfTheRock
2018-06-08, 10:24 PM
Yes, it would. Dumping STR and INT further and raising WIS from 12 is the more optimal decision - and hopefully you’ll have party members filling STR and INT skills and roles in the
party.

SiCK_Boy
2018-06-09, 07:38 AM
Is your group using Variant Encumbrance rules? If so, you may want to increase STR (although with a Fighter and Barbarian in the party, they may be able to carry some stuff for you).

TheCleverGuy
2018-06-09, 07:48 AM
Is your group using Variant Encumbrance rules? If so, you may want to increase STR (although with a Fighter and Barbarian in the party, they may be able to carry some stuff for you).

We didn't use those rules in our first campaign, so I don't think we will for this one either. I should probably check with the DM, but I don't know if i want to put ideas in her head ;)