PDA

View Full Version : Extra Abilities?

Sargentpsychooo
2018-06-08, 01:54 PM
I will be dming for only the second time quite soon and was thinking it would be fun to give my small group of 2 players, some special abilities, called magic affinities. Think quirks from my hero academia but less powerful. I was hoping that you all would be nice enough to help me come up with some, and post your ideas for them here.
Criteria:
1- only meant to slightly augment, not be relied upon. so no op stuff pls.
2-must have a downside, example: can only be used at certain time, if overused causes damage, etc
3-some type of limit of use. Example: 1 time for 1 minute per long rest. I will allow stuff that can be used unlimitedly but these should be really low power.

Affinity example:
Name:thunder steps
Ability:by distorted the air around your feet you can launch yourself forward at impressive speed. +20 to movement when active
Activated by:bonus action, last 1 minute
Downside:extremely loud, makes stealth impossible and alerts anyone in a 100 ft area to your preaence.
Uses: 2 per long rest

DMThac0
2018-06-08, 02:22 PM
Well you have to do a One For All homage:

1,000,000% Smash!
Allows the user to deal maximum damage at 3x critical
On a successful attack the user may choose to use this ability
The user suffers 2 points of exhaustion and loses their next attack round
2/long rest

Amdy_vill
2018-06-11, 11:33 AM
I will be dming for only the second time quite soon and was thinking it would be fun to give my small group of 2 players, some special abilities, called magic affinities. Think quirks from my hero academia but less powerful. I was hoping that you all would be nice enough to help me come up with some, and post your ideas for them here.
Criteria:
1- only meant to slightly augment, not be relied upon. so no op stuff pls.
2-must have a downside, example: can only be used at certain time, if overused causes damage, etc
3-some type of limit of use. Example: 1 time for 1 minute per long rest. I will allow stuff that can be used unlimitedly but these should be really low power.

Affinity example:
Name:thunder steps
Ability:by distorted the air around your feet you can launch yourself forward at impressive speed. +20 to movement when active
Activated by:bonus action, last 1 minute
Downside:extremely loud, makes stealth impossible and alerts anyone in a 100 ft area to your preaence.
Uses: 2 per long rest

what i would do is go look a dwanforgecasts video on critical roll special abilities as that is a great place to start.