PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for magic incenses

S@tanicoaldo
2018-06-08, 02:31 PM
I love the idea of magical incenses as communitary potions.

A magical effect you can share with a group of people.

So looking for ideas to use in my games for Npc groups using magical incense while they meet in some fancy restaurant or something.

Ideas so far:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfMTe4DWAAA8nCb.jpg:large

-Insense of tongues.
-Insense of neutralize poison.
-Incense of sustenance.
-Incense of fox’s cunning.
-Incense of owl’s wisdom.
-Incense of eagle’s splendor.
-Incense of of charm person.

hymer
2018-06-08, 02:44 PM
Sleep, barkskin, protection from X, resist/protection from energy, (baleful) polymorph, dream, invisibility, remove disease (and other restorative effects), scrying, gaseous form...

Kaptin Keen
2018-06-09, 03:00 AM
I'd have some sort of summoning incense - like, inside the smoke from the incense, you can summon particular monsters (with bonus HD or attk/dam, or concealment in the smoke, or .. something), but they cannot actually leave the smoke.

Could also be effects like bardic inspiration - maybe functional only for the faithful, or some such.

Could maybe alter spell effects. A mist (technically not an incense) might reduce fire damage, and some sort of ionized cloud might boost lightning damage, or change the shape of the spell to a sphere.

Concrete
2018-06-09, 11:38 AM
It would be neat if they could have other, not always strictly beneficial effects.
For example:

Zone of Truth could be a nice one, used to ensure that people deal fairly when doing business.

One that functions like glitterdust, making invisible creatures visible could be useful in much the same circumstances.

Or an incense which latches on to people of certain alignments, used by evil cults or witchunters to root out good or wicked people in their midst.

Or maybe incense attuned to different schools of magic. Maybe not for each school, but for schools such as Illusion, Divination, or Enchantment, making is so that spells of those schools have a higher DC when cast within the effect of the incense.

Perch
2018-06-09, 09:37 PM
In bloodborne (http://bloodborne.wikia.com/wiki/Incense) they use incenses to ward houses and places againts the beasts.

Maybe you could have a different type of incense for each kind of monster.

One for elemntals, other for demons another one for aberrations etc...

Orcus The Vile
2018-06-10, 11:33 AM
Neutralize poison? That's actually a great idea for a group of people meeting enemies or a king's dinner room.

The languages one is great way for nations to deal with diplomacy without having to use translators.

That's an intriguing idea. I really like the fluff.

I suggest healing as an effect, healer won't have to mass produce potions but rather just use one instance that is constantly affecting those around it.

An incense of detect invisibility could be used as a way to deal with assassins.

An incense of rage could be used against an enemy's army making them fight each other and fire resistance in a temple of fire, gender change for kink brothels.

Prestidigitation incense could keep places clean and Detect Poison and Disease could be sued to find traitors, Sleep incense for people with trouble sleeping sounds very neat.

EDIT: Oh, Antimagic insence! Got to have that!

Saintheart
2018-06-10, 09:57 PM
An incense of Commune, or other divination spell. Albeit this is just a cooler way of casting the spell, but the incense produces a fog which you walk into and , amid the strangely thick mist, your god speaks directly to you from among the mists.

Isikyus
2018-06-11, 03:45 AM
A lot of real incenses are made from the resin of plants, so you can get a few ideas going through those on Wikipedia.

For instance, styrax resin was burned to repel snakes (because allegedly Frankincense trees were infested with them).

I've also considered Protection from Law and from Chaos incenses, coming from two different plants (labdanum and elemi),
and daemonorops resin (the "Dragon's Blood" tree) for either Cure or Inflict wounds (as it might either clot or un-clot blood).