PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Question about some Necromancer feats and class abilitys.

Zellsantal
2018-06-08, 09:11 PM
I am thinking of making an npc necromancer and have been researching some things. Been trying to figure out if these feats and class abilitys stack with each other or not and gotten no clear answer. So those that been around I hope that maybe you can conform if by raw that you can do this.

Wizard Necromancer variant (UA p59) Enhanced Undead : Undead gain +4 Str and Dex and +2 hp per HD.

Corpsecafter (ML p24): Undead gain +4 str and 2 hp per HD

Augment Summoning (for summon undead): Conjure monster get +4 Str and Con.

Undead Mastery (8th level Dread Necromancer) Undead gain +4 Str and Dex and +2 hp per HD.

So if doing it like that if added all together would I get a full +16 str +8 dex, +2 con and +6 hp per HD if using summon undead spell for this? Or can you not stack all that?

KillianHawkeye
2018-06-08, 09:23 PM
No. All of those things apply enhancement bonuses, so you cannot stack them. Also, a summoned undead would not be one that you created, so Augment Summoning wouldn't be applicable at the same time as any of the rest of them in any case (also also, undead don't have any Con score to add to).

Darth Ultron
2018-06-08, 09:23 PM
3E is simple as the same bonuses don't stack

Necromancer variant: all undead creatures created gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity

Corpsecrafter- gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength

Augment summoning gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution

Undead Mastery: All undead creatures created by a dread necromancer who has reached 8th level or higher gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity and 2 additional hit points per Hit Die.

So none of the enhancement bonuses stack at all. But the other effects stack.

Also when you Summon undead with a spell, you are not creation them.

Zellsantal
2018-06-08, 09:33 PM
Dame, thought I would at lest get two to stake. Though the way it sounded summon undead would work with corpsercrafter. Isn't summon undead basically creating temporary undead? Otherwise for this npc he will be level 5 so I'm guess there is no spell that low that the make undead?

Goaty14
2018-06-08, 10:31 PM
Though the way it sounded summon undead would work with corpsercrafter. Isn't summon undead basically creating temporary undead?

Summon =/= Create. Summon is for Summon Monster Y, Mount, etc. Create is Animate Dead, Create X Undead, etc.

If your level 5 necromancer was a cleric, then he'd be able to cast animate dead. Sadly, clerics are better necromancers.

DrMotives
2018-06-09, 07:11 AM
Summons are not creations because the monsters you summon exist somewhere in the multiverse, and you just pull an astral projection of that monster to your location. That's why the spell is tagged Conjuration [summoning]. If you invented a monster that doesn't exist somewhere else and built a body on the fly, then it'd be Conjuration [creation]. That second method is more or less how psionic characters summon (create really) monsters, which is why all of their summons have the construct type, even though they look like living beings.

ShurikVch
2018-06-09, 10:34 AM
If you want to bump the abilities of created Undead, there are some ways:

Thrall of Zuggtmoy PrC (Dragon #337) at 4th level gets Raise the Rotten CF, which will add to any Undead created by your PC (even via magic items) +2 Str and +2 natural AC (unnamed bonus)

Dragon #312 have several [necromantic] feats. From those, Heightened Strength will give your Undead +4 Str, and Heightened Agility - +4 Dex (unnamed bonus)

Also:
Improved Animation feat (Dragon #298) gives to Undead produced via Animate Dead or Create Undead +1 HD and +1 competence on
attack and damage rolls
Graveborn Expert [necromantic] feat (Dragon #312) gives +4 on one Str- or Dex-based skill
Graveborn Warrior [necromantic] feat (Dragon #312) gives a bonus feat (any, presuming the undead have prerequisites for it)

Falontani
2018-06-09, 10:35 AM
Otherwise for this npc he will be level 5 so I'm guess there is no spell that low that the make undead?

Dragon Compendium. Death Master. They get animate dead by level 3 iirc. They also have an undead companion from level 1. They can use blood in place of any Somatic component, so with enough blood you can run around in full plate + tower shield as an arcane spellcaster and still use your magic. On a dread necromancer it's usually still a good idea to take corpsecrafter for the +2 hp/hd, and so you can take the later feats.