PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Extra attack for War cleric

pwning doodes
2018-06-09, 08:08 AM
So my 5th level Fighter multiclassed and took a level in Cleric (War domain.) PHB says, "[At 1st level] When you use the Attack action, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action." How does that stack with my current Extra Attack? The way I understand it, the Extra Attack is taken as part of your Action and each of your two attacks can have a different target. I think the bonus action attack could potentially be a third target.

Also, if my main action is an offensive spell, can I still use my bonus attack? It says "the Attack action." What about a spell that is a "spell attack" and requires an attack roll? What if it deals damage but requires a save instead of an attack roll? It seems likely that my new abiliy could work with an offensive spell of some kind, since it comes from a Cleric subtype.

As it is, having 3 full attacks (not off-hand) at 6th level seems very powerful and somewhat broken. I suppose when compared to some spells, it's not that crazy, especially since its use is limited to [WIS mod] times per Long Rest. How would you interpret the rule?

--Lor

dejarnjc
2018-06-09, 08:30 AM
Your interpretation is mostly correct. It's nice but being limited by your WIS modifier and only coming back on a long rest is the limiting factor.

The attack action does not include spells so it only works with your base attacks. To put it clearly, your new ability will not work with spells.

Snivlem
2018-06-09, 08:32 AM
You can use it with your 2 normal attacks (attack action) but not with offensive spells (not the attack actions)

Tanarii
2018-06-09, 10:23 AM
As it is, having 3 full attacks (not off-hand) at 6th level seems very powerful and somewhat broken. I suppose when compared to some spells, it's not that crazy, especially since its use is limited to [WIS mod] times per Long Rest. How would you interpret the rule?

--LorWis Mod per long rest limits it to 3-5 rounds out of maybe 20-25 rounds in the typical adventuring day. It not even close to overpowered.

hymer
2018-06-09, 11:18 AM
As it is, having 3 full attacks (not off-hand) at 6th level seems very powerful and somewhat broken.
Smart things have already be said. I just want to emphasize that you can actually attack five times in one turn by now. 2 from your normal Action and Extra Attack + 1 from your War Priest ability, + 2 from Action Surge and Extra Attack. But this is of course even more resource intensive.

DerficusRex
2018-06-09, 11:58 PM
Smart things have already be said. I just want to emphasize that you can actually attack five times in one turn by now. 2 from your normal Action and Extra Attack + 1 from your War Priest ability, + 2 from Action Surge and Extra Attack. But this is of course even more resource intensive.

Also, War Priest is limited to a number of uses equal to your wisdom modifier per long rest. It's still really nice, but I don't think it's overly powerful considering that.

pwning doodes
2018-06-28, 09:37 AM

I did this last session and felt crazy OP when I did about 50 damage in one turn.

Damage bonus +4 from STR, +2 from Dueling style = +6 damage per successful hit. ATT bonus +7. That's 1d8+6 per hit, times 4 hits that turn I think. On average that's 42 points of damage in one turn. On average.

Granted, that's with the bonus attack, which is limited, and the Action Surge, which is even more limited. It's fun to be able to pull out all the stops once in a while, though.

hymer
2018-06-28, 10:02 AM
Just remember that with great power comes great responsibility. :smallsmile: