PDA

View Full Version : MMM in Spelljammer?

kalos72
2018-06-09, 10:19 AM
Is there any reason why a Spelljammer ship couldn't add MMM's to carry more crew?

Does that magic work in Wild Space/phlogiston do you think?

Obviously the more people the more air/food/water needs....

Bronk
2018-06-09, 10:28 AM
Is there any reason why a Spelljammer ship couldn't add MMM's to carry more crew?

Does that magic work in Wild Space/phlogiston do you think?

Obviously the more people the more air/food/water needs....

You wouldn't think so, because technically going in and out of one should count as dimensional travel, but the old Spelljammer books have examples of items that added extradimensional spaces that worked just fine, like the Hold of Holding.

kalos72
2018-06-09, 10:49 AM
Thats exactly the item that caused my question, its based on mmm so...I guess a normal one would work too by RAW.

I already use them in my Realmspace campaigns but this opens alot of doors, pun intended. :)

DrMotives
2018-06-09, 01:05 PM
Extra dimensional spaces don't work in places that aren't connected to the Astral. Wildspace is just interplanetary space, there is no issues at all there. Phlogiston I'd have to look up, but unless is specifically is inaccessible to the Astral or extradimensional spaces otherwise don't work there, it would also be ok. And as Bronk mentioned, the old Spelljammer books had Holds of Holding.

Probably what you really want is a greenhouse deck to manufacture breathable air for longer voyages.

Andor13
2018-06-09, 01:46 PM
Probably what you really want is a greenhouse deck to manufacture breathable air for longer voyages.

Now I kind of want a ship where a hold opens into a jungle.
New crewman: "Wow, how big is this hold?"
Old hand: "We dunno."
New crewman: "Wait, how can you not know how big the hold is?"
Old hand: "Well... none o' the three expeditions we sent in have come out yet, ye see."
New crewman: "It's too late to jump ship, isn't it."
Old hand: "Technically, it's never really too late. But we are at about 40,000 feet and you don't have wings so... I'd get ta swabbin' if I was ye."

kalos72
2018-06-09, 01:56 PM
Bottle of Wind would work there no?

Nifft
2018-06-09, 02:02 PM
Now I kind of want a ship where a hold opens into a jungle.
New crewman: "Wow, how big is this hold?"
Old hand: "We dunno."
New crewman: "Wait, how can you not know how big the hold is?"
Old hand: "Well... none o' the three expeditions we sent in have come out yet, ye see."
New crewman: "It's too late to jump ship, isn't it."
Old hand: "Technically, it's never really too late. But we are at about 40,000 feet and you don't have wings so... I'd get ta swabbin' if I was ye."

If they didn't want to get eaten by the infinite jungle, they never ought to have signed up to crew the HMS Carceri.

lightningcat
2018-06-09, 04:32 PM
As I recall, extra dimensional spaces such as the Hold of Holding shut off while in the phlogiston, but worked again once you were back inside a crystal sphere (subject to some exceptions).

kalos72
2018-06-09, 05:01 PM
They really were not consistent because on some descriptions for the Holds, it says that while others dont.

It also specifies that the items are still inside the hold and safe, you just cant access it. So if you applied the same limitation to the MM you would be fine I think.