PDA

View Full Version : improvised boulder throw.

Braininthejar2
2018-06-09, 04:59 PM
Let's say elemental prince Ogremoch gets harassed by a flying adventurer, who wants to exploit his lack of flight/anti air magic.

In response, he shifts his hand into the rock floor, rips out a fistful of stone, and throws it (at his BAB, he doesn't need to worry about improvised weapon penalties)

At 10 feet tall, and 44 strength, what would be the reasonable weight ( base damage ) of such a projectile?

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-09, 05:03 PM
A fifty pound rock according yo the boulder throwing feat, is 2d6 damage + str.

Braininthejar2
2018-06-09, 05:09 PM
hmm... against ordinary people, that would be like Beast Titan rock throwing.

But at epic levels, that tickles.

What else could he do as anti-air?

Goaty14
2018-06-09, 05:12 PM
A fifty pound rock according yo the boulder throwing feat, is 2d6 damage + str.

STR being +17. Thrown boulders also have a minimum range increment of 120. So without any modifiers (BaB, size, etc), you have a +17 thrown ranged weapon, incretement 120ft, damage 2d6+17.

Braininthejar2
2018-06-09, 05:16 PM
Just as I said. 2D6+17 is great for a ranged weapon, but at this level, won't cut it.

It would help to have some other options to exploit.

Goaty14
2018-06-09, 05:26 PM
Just as I said. 2D6+17 is great for a ranged weapon, but at this level, won't cut it.

It would help to have some other options to exploit.

Which level? You have yet to say what you're expecting.

I suppose if you have enough STR and pick up a heavy enough rock (hulking hurler levels optional), then you start to use the improvised weapon damage rules at the back of CWarrior and do 4d6+1d6 per 100 lbs after 400 lbs (or something like that. Go back and check for me) which can get really crazy.

Braininthejar2
2018-06-09, 05:40 PM
Early epics.

Like most elementals, Ogremoch is badly optimised - fighting him is mostly an endurance match, (he has DR15, fast healing 5, and HP of a whole teen level party. But he does hit like a truck if anyone cames within reach, and many parties won't have enough resources to dismantle him at range.)

Bronk
2018-06-09, 08:59 PM
hmm... against ordinary people, that would be like Beast Titan rock throwing.

But at epic levels, that tickles.

What else could he do as anti-air?

As statted out in Dragon 247... Flying things are his weakness. He actually gets a -4 to attack and damage against fliers, so that's really taking away a good tactic from your players.

Flinging a random big rock sounds cool, but he'd be better off using a large magic sling with the splitting and speed properties for a good ten attacks, and hope the PCs don't put up a wind wall or use stormrage.