PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Dragon Heist + Dungeon of the Mad Mage Characters

Captain Bob
2018-06-09, 05:09 PM
Assuming that you'd be running through these modules continuously, such that you'd end up going 1-20 with (theoretically) the same character -

What are people excited to play across these adventures? I've been pondering this a bit since I've never actually played a character past level 13, so it's tough to conceptualize. Just interested to see what you folks are hyped about.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-09, 09:48 PM
Assuming that you'd be running through these modules continuously, such that you'd end up going 1-20 with (theoretically) the same character -

What are people excited to play across these adventures? I've been pondering this a bit since I've never actually played a character past level 13, so it's tough to conceptualize. Just interested to see what you folks are hyped about.

I would love to play either a Hexblade 12/ancients paladin 8 or a Sorcerer warlock combo.

Daithi
2018-06-10, 01:49 AM

Great question Captain Bob. I've been wondering about this question as well. I'm really looking forward to these new books. One of my favorite campaigns was the City of Lankmar (or something like that) from 1980s. Like Waterdeep it was an adventure in a big city and was just a cool environment. However, the 2nd book in the Waterdeep series is more of a traditional dungeon crawl. In any event, I'm just looking forward to both.

Like you, I'd also like to hear if others already have ideas for which characters they plan to play in a low level city environment that transitions to a dungeon crawl (but a massive dungeon with who knows what characteristics). I'm not sure myself yet.

SiCK_Boy
2018-06-10, 08:00 AM
It's hard to imagine a specific character that would be well adapted to the whole campaign at this point, as we are way too short on details regarding the second part (Dungeon of the Mad Mage) and the way Undermountain will be built.

Personally, I'd go with a Rogue with an Indiana Jones vibe (archeologist, explorer), probably taking the Arcana Trickster subclass and using one of the backgrounds from Tomb of Annihilation (race would be either Halfling, Human, or Half-Elf).

I think the range of skills on such a character would translate well from Dragon Heist to Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

But we may still get surprised in the end, depending on the nature of the "threat" and the "clock" they use to move the group forward in DotMM. They already said Dragon Heist could be played at different paces with no significant pressure (so each table can find a rythm that works for it), but DotMM could play as a much more "urgent" adventure, either as an "escape the mad house" trip, or "get to this level soon or the whole thing blows up". Depending on the motivation put in front of the players, it would change the kind of character I'd love to play.

Another interesting aspect will be how long the adventure continues once you reach Level 20, and whether this module will finally allow capstones to become active (and maybe help settle some of the debates on whether they are useful or not, vs multiclassing). Obviously, it won't provide much data if Lvl 20 is reached just before the final fight, but if you do have to go through a couple adventuring days at Lvl 20 before facing the final threat, it will be fun to see how actual people experience at the table plays out.