PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Ways to Flavor a Firebolt - Descriptive Spell Effects

2018-06-09, 08:10 PM
1001 Ways to Flavor a Firebolt - Descriptive Spell Effects

Are you tired of saying "I fire a firebolt at him?"
Are you looking to add some special effects for a more dramatic cinematic narrative?

1. A pit opens to the underworld and a blast of fire spits out and flies toward my target.
2. I pull a quill from my pack and with a hum it floats before me. The feathered end bursts into flames and shoots off like a bolt toward my target.
3. I swirl my dagger through the air forming the ancient rune of fire. The blade bursts into fire. With a thrust toward my opponent I release my control on the flame and it launches in a bolt of fire.
4. I wave my staff overhead and with each circle a flame builds. After a few passes it becomes a bolt of fire and when I strike forward with the staff the fire bolt launches at my target.
5. I wind up like a pitcher getting ready and as I throw a bolt of fire forms. Like a fastball it impacts my target right in the face.
6. I toss a ball of fire up in the air, swing my palm overhead, spiking it into my target.
7. I form an ember of fire between my pinched fingers. With my other hand outstretched before me I line up my target and pull back. When I release the fire bolts like it was shot out of a slingshot.
8. I toss an orb of fire that lands at the feet of the creature and explodes in a burst of flame.
9. I throw acorns and other small nuts at the target. When they hit the acorns burst into fire.
10. I draw ambient heat from the surrounding area and gather it into one bolt to shoot toward the target.
11. I pull heat energy from the target in strands of fire. Once I have a mass of them I fire them back at the target in a bolt of fire.
12. I spit out a breath of fire. It looks like Koopa shooting after Mario as a bolt of fire launches toward my target.
13. For a split second a portal to the elemental plane of fire opens. A gout of primal fire engulfs the target.
14. I hum and a dart appears in my fingers. I target the creature and as I release the throw the dart bursts into flame leaving a trail of smoke in its wake.
15. I spit out one of the seeds I was eating. The seed turns into a small bolt of fire and flies toward my target.
16. I pull a playing card from my cloak and fling it through the air. As it leaves my hand it bursts on fire and streaks toward my target.
17. I channel magic through my fingertips. I extend my index finger and fire leaps toward my target.
18. I go full metal on my lute. On the power chord a burst of fire lances up the neck of the instrument and strikes the target.
19. A soap bubble floats toward my target. When it is overhead it bursts and flames rain down.
20. I furrow my brow and stare at the target until my vision goes red and a bolt of fire shoots out of my eyes.
21. I snap my fingers and a flame appears above my hand. I throw it with a casual toss toward my enemy.
22. A crossbow made of fire appears in my hands. I aim and pull the trigger releasing a fire bolt at my target.
23. A little chipmunk plants a nut at the base of the creature. The chipmunk bolts away as I yell "fire in the hole" and the nut explodes.

How do you throw your firebolts? Please add to the list.

ImproperJustice
2018-06-09, 08:49 PM
I make several rapid arm poses, followed by rapid hand movements and yell: “Fire Style! Flaming Justice Bolts!” -as any proper Sentai hero should.

What follows is a Hadouken style fire jet. Sometimes split into two motions when using Twin Spell.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-10, 01:00 PM
I write a a single verse on paper then crumple it up before tossing it at my target where my lyrical genius bursts into flames.

Arkhios
2018-06-10, 01:06 PM
I run in the woods, wearing a hoodie my grandma made into a makeshift robe by adding curtains to the bottom half, and scream from the bottom of my lungs: "FIREBOLT, FIREBOLT, FIREBOLT!!!111"

ruy343
2018-06-10, 09:22 PM
I point my finger and wince and, as always happens, I jump at the arcane power that erupts from my fingertip, searing across the room to hit the orc at the other side.

As an aside: if there's ever a counterspell that requires a good, variable description, it's counterspell. When you counter a fireball, does the bead of energy just fall on the floor, inert? Does it explode, but a shield protects the party, the heat washing over them all? Does a mage hand disrupt the complex movements of the other mage before it's even finished? DMs can and should have lots of fun with describing the effects of counterspell.

magic2345
2018-06-10, 10:08 PM
You could always be edgy and have a short speech.

"Demonic blood within my veins, heed me and grant me dominion over fire!"

"Have you ever seen hell? The flames of darkness shall engulf you!"

"THE POWER OF JUSTICE SHALL NEVER FADE! BURN, MY SOUL!!!"

If clerics can mention scriptures and quotes from their religion, you can too! :>

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-10, 11:11 PM
You could always be edgy and have a short speech.

"Demonic blood within my veins, heed me and grant me dominion over fire!"

"Have you ever seen hell? The flames of darkness shall engulf you!"

"THE POWER OF JUSTICE SHALL NEVER FADE! BURN, MY SOUL!!!"

If clerics can mention scriptures and quotes from their religion, you can too! :>

It's what i do for my Sorcerer. got a little black book filled with quotes for different spells.

2018-06-11, 09:09 AM
I form a fiery telekinetic fist and uppercut the enemy

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-06-11, 01:50 PM
I cast firebolt, make the relevant rolls and end my turn. Combat roleplaying is somewhere between tedious and boring, and combat takes up too much time without accompanying every minor action with a special song-and-dance routine.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-11, 01:56 PM
I cast firebolt, make the relevant rolls and end my turn. Combat roleplaying is somewhere between tedious and boring, and combat takes up too much time without accompanying every minor action with a special song-and-dance routine.

For many, combat is some of the funnest parts of the game. Speeding through it is nice, but whats the point if its not enjoyable as an experience? Why play if not to roleplay? to do math?

Many also complain about not having fun doing the same thing in combat, and reflavoring the actions is a common response to alleviate some of the boredom.

Theodoxus
2018-06-11, 01:56 PM
I run in the woods, wearing a hoodie my grandma made into a makeshift robe by adding curtains to the bottom half, and scream from the bottom of my lungs: "FIREBOLT, FIREBOLT, FIREBOLT!!!111"

As a former LARPer, I simultaneously LMAO and facepalmed... causing me to bite by palm on accident...

This is so accurate, it really hurts.

Arkhios
2018-06-11, 02:20 PM
As a former LARPer, I simultaneously LMAO and facepalmed... causing me to bite by palm on accident...

This is so accurate, it really hurts.

...aand my work here is done! :smallbiggrin:

also, that was a nod towards a very old video I saw years ago before youtube came around where a group of LARPers were in the woods and one of them, a guy probably early in his puberty was a wizard of sorts and did essentially same, by throwing pinecones and screaming "LIGHTNING BOLT!" repeatedly with a crack in his voice.

...it was hilarious!

xroads
2018-06-11, 02:44 PM
I open a small rift from which a baby dragon sticks his head out and spits fire at my target.
A small puddle of lava breaches the surface. I scoop up the lava, quickly shape it into a ball, and hurl/bowl it toward my enemy.
I pull an arrow of pure fire from my quiver and fire it toward my opponent.
A momentary fracture appears in the earth, full of lava. The fracture races toward the feet of my attacker.

Uigeadaily
2018-06-13, 03:47 PM
I punch forward with a loud battlecry as fire blazes forth from a smouldering fist!

Sticking a pair of fingers between my lips, I whistle sharply to release a tongue of flame that streaks through the air like an arrow.

I hastily take a swig from my hipflask. I then conjure a flame from my finger just in time to loudly belch into it, sending a blast of hot air towards my foe.

Spore
2018-06-13, 05:30 PM
I tap my mountain and cast Firebolt...what?

Batou1976
2018-06-13, 08:51 PM
This depends on the tone of your campaign buuuuut....

Utter the spell, then hold one nostril closed and blow a flaming booger out the other one? :smalleek::smalltongue:

For a more serious campaign-
You utter the spell, and a spectral trebuchet made of fire appears at your feet. With a gesture from you, the trebuchet releases its payload, which arcs through the air until it strikes the target.

Hears You
2018-06-13, 11:08 PM
I let out a scream and a warm light comes from deep in my throat forming a fiery ball as it vomits forward streaking towards the bandit forming a face of contorted rage matching my own.

I pantomime throwing a dart and at the last second crimson red energy manifests in a fiery dart flying right at Bhalderhast.

A small bat made of fire forms in my hands, I give it a gentle push and it flies off in the direction of the Orcs.

(YELLED DESCRIBE CASTING FIREBOLT AT THE PEOPLE AROUND ME: THEIR RESULTS)

I throw my hand out and there's a lightning bolt except it's flaming and it's gone in a flash and it hurts.

I feel like your fist erupts in flames and a crackly flaming laser comes out of my fist.

You do whatever somatic components you need and you conjure forth a tiny flaming bead that goes to the target and explodes.

noob
2018-06-14, 08:17 AM
The target suddenly starts burning then you do the gestures and the incantation.