View Full Version : [AL] So now... I'm the Flying Dutchman?

prototype00
2018-06-09, 09:13 PM
Was running a straight Ancestral Guardian Glaive wielder in AL. The plan was simple, run in, rage, attack at 10ft range (with PAM, Reckless Attack and GWM), then run out again and force the enemy to attack you (and possibly eat opportunity attacks from both the foe they were currently attacking and myself from PAM).

Background was Pirate, and unrepentant one at that, a Northman who realized that killing the guards of fat merchantmen and taking their gold wasn't going to earn him a spot in Tempus' halls, so he joined a cult of madmen who wanted to spill their life's blood facing the most dangerous creatures on Toril!

Then I played in a module that awarded a broom of flying, and since I was bereft of any magic at the time, the prize fell to me.

So a couple of questions (for AL, of course):

1. Can one hover in your 5ft square without landing? I still want to play silly buggers with enemies having to attack me or suffer massive penalties.

2. Can you attack while riding the broom? I see nothing that stops it ruleswise.

3. Can you attack with both hands while riding the broom? Once again, nothing ruleswise. I mean steering with one hand on the tiller is no issue, you can hold a glaive one handed in between gutting folk. Steer with legs, I suppose?

4. Can you take passengers? If so, how does that work square-wise, are they always one 5ft square behind you in combat?

Also, any advice provided for this new mode of combat is greatly appreciated!

prototype00

leogobsin
2018-06-09, 09:35 PM
1. Yes, you should be able to hover in your space.
2. Like you said, doesn't seem to be anything preventing it so I see no reason why not.
3. Really the item description says nothing about needing any hands to ride it, but yeah I don't see why not.
4. Taking passengers seems to be a bit iffy, though if you can, yeah I'd say they would be one space behind you. Keep in mind the weight limit. Two characters are almost certainly going to be more than 200 pounds, and possibly over the hard limit of 400 pounds.

prototype00
2018-06-10, 04:19 AM
1. Yes, you should be able to hover in your space.
2. Like you said, doesn't seem to be anything preventing it so I see no reason why not.
3. Really the item description says nothing about needing any hands to ride it, but yeah I don't see why not.
4. Taking passengers seems to be a bit iffy, though if you can, yeah I'd say they would be one space behind you. Keep in mind the weight limit. Two characters are almost certainly going to be more than 200 pounds, and possibly over the hard limit of 400 pounds.

Yeah, I figured as much. The passenger is the only thing that is iffy. I'll check with DMs in AL and see what they say, ta!

prototype00

Lunali
2018-06-10, 07:39 AM
Remember to include the weight of all your carried items when calculating the weight for the broom.

prototype00
2018-06-10, 08:51 AM
Remember to include the weight of all your carried items when calculating the weight for the broom.

Ah indeed. I'll keep in mind to travel light.

prototype00