PDA

View Full Version : "Better run, if you can." [New PrC]

FireSpark
2007-09-07, 06:34 PM
Okay. So this will be my first submission to the homebrew boards. Please be gentle, but honest. Admittedly, this is only the third PrC I've even attempted. Perhaps if this one goes over well, I'll try and find the others. So without further ado...

The JUGGERNAUT v1.5
The juggernaut is the epitome of brute force. He is warrior who focuses on not just defeating them enemy with his strength, but also demoralizing them in the process. The juggernaut is an ever rolling powerhouse, charging from one opponent to the next, taking down not only their opponents, but any hapless sod who happens to come between the juggernaut and his enemy. A single juggernaut on the field of battle is enough to make an opponent cringe. A squad of juggernauts taking to the field have been known to scatter ranks with their very arrival.
Most juggernauts are fighters, though the occasional barbarian or ex-paladin have been known to take up the mantle. Even the rare cleric or two, particularly those whose deities glorify battle and seek glory through physical combat, have been known to join the ranks of the juggernauts. Their healing abilities a great compliment to the juggernaut's habit of taking injuries. Rogues, bards, monks, and other classes that rely on being lightly armored don't usually find themselves as a juggernaut, but all would gratefully fight alongside one.
Hit Die: d12

Requirements
To qualify to become a juggernaut, must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feats: Endurance, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Improved Toughness, Run

Class Skills
The juggernaut's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Massive frame, heavy armor familiarity (second skin)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Intimidating charge, DR 1/--

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Extended charge, Unshakable

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Heavy armor familiarity (maneuverability), DR 2/--

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Energy boost, Mental fortitude

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Devestating charge, DR 3/--

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Steadfast resolve, Inspiring presence

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Heavy armor familiarity (effectiveness), DR 4/--

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Overwhelming charge, Greater inspiring presence

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Terrifying charge, Rejuvenation, DR 5/--[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A juggernaut is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all types of armor, and shields (including tower shields). When wearing no armor, or any armor besides heavy armor, a juggernaut loses the ability to use inspiring presence, greater inspiring presence, damage reduction gained from class levels, and any 'Charge' ability.

Massive Frame: A juggernaut learns how to operate under strenuous conditions, under loads that would buckle the knees of most other warriors. This training instills the juggernaut with not only superior confidence, but actual physical results as well. A juggernaut's massive frame grants him the powerful build trait, which lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever a juggernaut is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), he is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A juggernaut is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A juggernaut can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this class ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Heavy Armor Familiarity: A juggernaut practically lives in his armor during his initial training. This constant contact allows the juggernaut to become used to wearing heavy armor under any circumstance. Eventually a juggernaut becomes so accustomed to operating in heavier armor, and pushing himself ever further, that he begins to demonstrate a mastery of the armor's use in combat. At first level, the juggernaut has become used to not only working and fighting in his heavy armor, but living as well. At first level, the juggernaut no longer suffers from fatigue if he sleeps in his heavy armor, and the armor check penalty is reduced by 1.
Soon, the juggernaut learns how best to move within his armor, allowing him to function more efficiently, as well as more nimbly maneuver the battlefield. At 4th level, whenever the juggernaut is wearing heavy armor, the armor check penalty is reduced by a total of 2, and the maximum dexterity bonus of the armor increases by 1.
Eventually, through constant use and combat experience, the juggernaut has learned how best to utilize every hinge and strap of his armor to maximum effectiveness at turning away weapon strikes. At 8th level, the armor bonus granted to a juggernaut by any heavy armor he wears is increased by 2, and the armor check penalty is reduced by grand total of 3.

Intimidating Charge: Being charged by an opponent on the battlefield can be an unsettling experience. Being charged by a juggernaut can be downright frightening. Starting at 2nd level, when making a charge attack, a juggernaut can declare it to be an Intimidating Charge. If at the end of his charge the juggernaut successfully damages his target with a melee attack he adds +1d8 points of damage to his damage roll, and in addition, all the juggernaut's opponents including the original target of the charge attack, must make a Will save (DC 10 + class levels + the juggernaut's Cha modifier) or be shaken for two rounds (this is a mind-affecting, fear effect.). A successful Will save negates the shaken effect, but not the extra damage dealt to the original target. If the juggernaut's attack misses, then the attempt is wasted, and counts as one use of this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to one half the juggernaut's class levels, rounded down, and cannot be used in conjunction with the Devastating Charge ability.

Damage Reduction: A juggernaut not only learns how to physically take damage, but also how to turn a solid blow into a glancing strike. Beginning at 2nd level, a juggernaut gains damage reduction 1/--. This damage reduction increases by 1 at every even numbered level thereafter. So at 4th level, the juggernaut's DR is 2/--, and 6th level it increase to 3/--, and so on. This damage reduction stacks with other DR of the same type, that the juggernaut has earned from another class.

Extended Charge: Continuously fighting in his heavy armor, the juggernaut learns how to turn the momentum generated by the sheer mass of his heavy armor to his advantage. Beginning at 3rd level, whenever the juggernaut makes a melee charge attack, he may move up to three times his base land speed, rather than just double.

Unshakable: At 3rd level, the juggernaut has become confident in his abilities and accustomed to causing fear in his enemies. So much so that he has lost all of his own fear. The juggernaut is now immune to all fear effects, as well as intimidation.

Energy Reserve: Juggernaut's are infamous for being extremely difficult to stop. Much of this reputation comes from the juggernaut's ability to call upon his confidence in himself to grant himself a second wind in battle. Starting at 5th level, the juggernaut gains the ability to refresh himself and shrug off wounds that might incapacitate lesser warriors. Once per day, the juggernaut can grant himself fast healing 5 for a number of rounds equal to his class level.

Mental Fortitude: A juggernaut knows that he needs to not only fortify his body, but his mind as well. Through daily meditation and practice, the juggernaut gains a +2 bonus on Will saves against mind-affecting spells, spell-like abilities, and effects.

Devastating Charge: As the juggernaut increases his skills in melee combat, he becomes more capable of dealing as much damage as possible, by striking at his enemy as often as he can. At 6th level, the juggernaut has refined his techniques and methods of attack, and is able to use the power of his charges to fuel his strikes. When making a melee charge attack, the juggernaut can finish it with a full attack, rather than just a single one.

Steadfast Resolve: The juggernaut knows that sometimes, there just isn't any avoiding the enemy attacking. But the juggernaut also knows that his personal will and resolve can see him through anything. At 7th level, whenever the juggernaut would be exposed to an attack or other source of damage that grants a Reflex save to avoid or reduce the effects, the juggernaut can instead call upon his sheer physical resilience, and instead make a Fortitude save in place of a Reflex save. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Constitution modifier. Even if the juggernaut is helpless, or otherwise restrained in such a way that would deny a character a reflex save, as long as the juggernaut is conscious, he can use this ability.

Inspiring Presence: By now the juggernaut's confidence in his skills and abilities is so great, that his very presence is an inspiration to those that fight alongside him. Beginning at 7th level, a number of the juggernaut's allies equal to his class levels that are within 10 feet of the juggernaut, gain a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, as well as a +3 morale bonus to saving throws vs. fear effects. This ability is not in effect if the juggernaut becomes helpless or unconscious.

Overwhelming Charge: One of the key tenants of juggernaut training is that the shortest distance a juggernaut and his target is straight line. No matter who else happens to be in the way, Starting at 9th level, whenever a juggernaut makes a melee charge attack he may target any opponent with his charge despite any enemies (or allies) that may be in the way, so long as they are one or more size categories smaller than the juggernaut (taking his massive frame ability into account). Any opponent (or ally) in the juggernaut's path, but not the target of the juggernaut's charge attack, is subject to a trample attack. The damage from this trample attack is equal to 1d8 + the juggernaut's current Strength modifier. The trample attack otherwise functions as any other trample attack, including allowances for attacks of opportunity or reflex saves to avoid the juggernaut. The only exception is that the juggernaut does not have to wholly occupy the opponent's space, but merely move through any portion of their space.

Greater Inspiring Presence: By now, the juggernaut has become an impressive force on the battle field, inspiring all that come near to rise up and give their all. At 9th level, any and all of the juggernaut's allies that are within 20 feet of the juggernaut gain a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, as well as a +6 morale bonus vs. fear effects. This ability is not in effect if the juggernaut becomes helpless or unconscious.
This ability replaces inspiring presence.

Terrifying Charge: At his peak, the juggernaut has become a terrifying weapon. One that can cause even the mightiest of warrior's to flee the field. At 10th level, the juggernaut gains the ability to perform a terrifying charge, with a melee charge attack. If at the end of this charge, the juggernaut successfully damages his target opponent with a melee attack, he then adds +3d8 points of damage to his damage roll, and in addition all the juggernaut's opponents including the original target of the charge attack, must make a Will save (DC 10 + class levels + the juggernaut's Cha modifier) or be frightened for one round, and then shaken for another two rounds (this is a mind-affecting, fear effect.). A successful Will save reduces the effects to being shaken for only one round, but the save does not reduce the extra damage dealt to the original target. If the juggernaut's attack misses, then the attempt is wasted, and counts as one use of this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to one half the juggernaut's class levels, rounded down, and cannot be used in conjunction with the Devastating Charge ability.
This ability replaces intimidating charge.

Rejuvenation: At the top of his form the juggernaut has also learned to not only shrug off small wounds, but to actually revivify himself with a renewed vigor. As if his confidence and surety were given physical form. Once per day, the juggernaut can grant himself fast healing 10 for a number of rounds equal to his class level.

EDIT 1.1 = Changed feat prereq's to better match flavor of the class. (Traded Dodge, and Mobility, Heavy Armor Optimization); applied restriction clarification to Intimidating/Terrifying Charge abilities. (Can't use them in conjuction with the Devastating Charge ability)
EDIT 1.3 = Removed HAF (expedience) and replaced with (second skin), added clarification to damage reduction, reworded (slightly) extended charge, replaced Heavy Armor Optimization feat req. with Endurance feat
EDIT 1.5 = Reduced Mental Fortitude power-level, added Run feat as prerequisite

FireSpark
2007-09-07, 09:14 PM
Crunch finished and flavor added. Fire away boys! (and girls!)

de-trick
2007-09-07, 09:28 PM
yah a pristige for the heavy armor people

but a human fighter at first level could have all feats

FireSpark
2007-09-07, 09:41 PM
yah a pristige for the heavy armor people

but a human fighter at first level could have all feats

The feat requirements were more of a flavor type thing. To get characters into the right mind set for this kind of PrC. THe main limitation on this class, as with many combat oriented ones, is the BAB requirement. Which I think I set high enough, could go higher on.

de-trick
2007-09-07, 09:46 PM
in races of the stone there are some armor feats maybe make one of them a Requirement for the Juggernaut, I would tell you the feats but don't have axis to the book know

FireSpark
2007-09-07, 09:51 PM
in races of the stone there are some armor feats maybe make one of them a Requirement for the Juggernaut, I would tell you the feats but don't have axis to the book know

I had been considering that actually, and still am. Maybe I'll look them over again.

Dancing_Zephyr
2007-09-07, 09:53 PM
It's the juggernaut b****!

Good job. Are the juggernauts able to use there "lesser" charges when their better ones have been used, or does one ability replace the other?

FireSpark
2007-09-07, 10:10 PM
It's the juggernaut b****!

As I was putting the finishing touches on this PrC, and let the wife do a little proof-reading of it for me, she made the connection to the Juggernaut of X-men fame as well. Believe or not, until she said that, after I had built the class, The Juggernaut hadn't entered my mind once.

Good job. Are the juggernauts able to use there "lesser" charges when their better ones have been used, or does one ability replace the other?

The only charge ability that has uses are the Intimidating Charge, and Terrifyig Charge. And as noted below,

Terrifying Charge: At his peak, the juggernaut has become a terrifying weapon. *snip* This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to one half the juggernaut's class levels, rounded down.
This ability replaces inspiring presence.

So yes, Terrifying Charge replaces Intimidating Charge. As for all the other charge abilities, they function whenever the juggernaut charges in heavy armor.

Therefore a human fighter 5/juggernaut 10, could make a terrifying charge attack against a hill giant 90 feet away, trampling over and dealing 1d8+Str damage to any Medium or smaller creature that doesn't make a reflex save on his way to said giant. Upon reaching the hill giant, if he strikes he adds 3d8 points of damage, and enemies with 30 feet have to start rolling Will saves. Ahh, the gory glory.:smallbiggrin:

Kai-Palin
2007-09-07, 10:23 PM
I really like the concept, it just seems to me that while the class adds a lot of benefits, which is good, it also removes ALL the detrimental things about wearing heavy armor.
I'm new with the homebrew stuff, but it seems like either the class should focus on improving abilities while wearing heavy armor, or should focus on removing penalties while wearing heavy armor. Once again, I'm new to this, but it just seems a bit overpowered, especially as the only thing that would stop it is some strange spell that does a Reflex save-or-die, or another Juggernaut. There just doesn't seem like much of any way in a relatively one-on-one situation, where a stealth or spell type could do much of anything against one.
I would remove the escalating Will save bonus, and instead gain the feat that lets you substitute your Charisma bonus for your Wisdom bonus on Will saves(I think its in CSco or CAdv). This would allow a Juggernaut to still have a bonus against the typical dominate or charm tactic, while making it still an option for, say, a legion of soldiers supported by a few casters, who would otherwise have a nearly impossible time against the juggernaut.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-07, 10:45 PM
I'm not quite sure how Mental Fortitude fits in with the rest of the class. It seems like the odd man out there. Everything else is focused on this guy charging around and shifting the morale of the battle. Mechanically, it mitigates the class's biggest weakness (Steadfast Determination renders the reflex save irrelevant). Also, he already gets a neat trick (fast healing) on that level, so there's no need to worry about dead levels.

$uicidal $qurl
2007-09-07, 11:16 PM
Wow, I'm not sure how balanced it would be but I know I want to make one

Hurray for making heavy armor much more useful for non dwarves!

FireSpark
2007-09-08, 08:12 AM
I really like the concept, it just seems to me that while the class adds a lot of benefits, which is good, it also removes ALL the detrimental things about wearing heavy armor.
I'm new with the homebrew stuff, but it seems like either the class should focus on improving abilities while wearing heavy armor, or should focus on removing penalties while wearing heavy armor. Once again, I'm new to this, but it just seems a bit overpowered, especially as the only thing that would stop it is some strange spell that does a Reflex save-or-die, or another Juggernaut. There just doesn't seem like much of any way in a relatively one-on-one situation, where a stealth or spell type could do much of anything against one.

A single stealth or spell type, in my opinion, shouldn't be one-on-one vs. a Front-line, combat type, unless there is no other recourse anyways. And this class doesn't boost his fortitude save in any way other than regular progression, so the juggernaut only has something like a 2-point increase over a fighter. And Fighter's have always been good at make their fort saves in sav-or-die situations. The key to defeating one, or rather slowing one down so you can, is to keep him charging. Without that ability, a good half ohis class features become useless. The original draft of theclass had an ability that allowed to make a charge attack by moving only 5 feet, but as the rest of the abilities were fleshed out, I saw how detrimentally unbalancing this would make the PrC, and thus removed it.

I would remove the escalating Will save bonus, and instead gain the feat that lets you substitute your Charisma bonus for your Wisdom bonus on Will saves(I think its in CSco or CAdv). This would allow a Juggernaut to still have a bonus against the typical dominate or charm tactic, while making it still an option for, say, a legion of soldiers supported by a few casters, who would otherwise have a nearly impossible time against the juggernaut.

I'm not quite sure how Mental Fortitude fits in with the rest of the class. It seems like the odd man out there. Everything else is focused on this guy charging around and shifting the morale of the battle. Mechanically, it mitigates the class's biggest weakness (Steadfast Determination renders the reflex save irrelevant). Also, he already gets a neat trick (fast healing) on that level, so there's no need to worry about dead levels.

Well, I figured that the Mental Fortitude was an attempt to make the juggernaut resistant to charms and compulsions (or rather enchantments in general), which is why the bonus to Will saves from this class feature apply only to mind-affecting effects. This means that any Will save that isn't mind-affecting in nature, does not allow the juggernaut the use of Mental fortitude. Although, I had been thinking that a +5 might be too much, and had considered dropping it down to a static +4, or even as low as +2. But I'm still up in the air about that.

Yeril
2007-09-08, 01:15 PM
Im not sure if its been mentioned but Massive frame, and heavy armor familiarity (expedience) seem very... Dipworthy, Considering Massive frame is one of the best abilitys a melee'r can have minus the 10ft reach and Heavy Armour Familiarty takes away the biggest penalty of wearing heavy armour, having theese as 1st level abilitys just makes this class seem kinda "Oh hey I can take a 1 level dip in this, pick up two AWESOME abilitys and then go off in some other Prc"

Finerty
2007-09-08, 03:02 PM
Love the flavour, love the build, but it just feels a little too strong. For instance, Heavy Armor Familiarity (expedience) feels ridiculous, especially coupled with extended charge. 90 ft. charges? You've titled this thread, "Better run, if you can". I feel that with a heavy armor build, you should be able to run. The Juggernaut should be unstoppable, but not unavoidable. So, since he's going to be charging all the time, he's going to be pretty quick all the time. So either expedience or extended charge, but not both. I'd lean towards keeping extended charge, personally.
Also, does the DR/- stack with DR/- from other class abilities? Because if so, I'd be wanting to play a Boar Totem (Unearthed Arcana) Barbarian with the Berserker Strength class option. Forget entering the PrC at 5th level, I'd just sit pretty until I'd built up some nice DR, the lost fast movement wouldn't matter, and I'd be unstoppable. All day.
Ooh, PS - Although I've never actually been in a game where people used the armor donning rules, I think it would be fitting if you folded the ability to sleep in armor without penalty into Heavy Armor Familiarity.

FireSpark
2007-09-08, 03:23 PM
Im not sure if its been mentioned but Massive frame, and heavy armor familiarity (expedience) seem very... Dipworthy, Considering Massive frame is one of the best abilitys a melee'r can have minus the 10ft reach and Heavy Armour Familiarty takes away the biggest penalty of wearing heavy armour, having theese as 1st level abilitys just makes this class seem kinda "Oh hey I can take a 1 level dip in this, pick up two AWESOME abilitys and then go off in some other Prc"

I see your point. And being one is constantly annoyed by Super-Dippers, I assure you, this little facet will change.

Love the flavour, love the build, but it just feels a little too strong. For instance, Heavy Armor Familiarity (expedience) feels ridiculous, especially coupled with extended charge. 90 ft. charges? You've titled this thread, "Better run, if you can". I feel that with a heavy armor build, you should be able to run. The Juggernaut should be unstoppable, but not unavoidable. So, since he's going to be charging all the time, he's going to be pretty quick all the time. So either expedience or extended charge, but not both. I'd lean towards keeping extended charge, personally.
Also, does the DR/- stack with DR/- from other class abilities? Because if so, I'd be wanting to play a Boar Totem (Unearthed Arcana) Barbarian with the Berserker Strength class option. Forget entering the PrC at 5th level, I'd just sit pretty until I'd built up some nice DR, the lost fast movement wouldn't matter, and I'd be unstoppable. All day.
Ooh, PS - Although I've never actually been in a game where people used the armor donning rules, I think it would be fitting if you folded the ability to sleep in armor without penalty into Heavy Armor Familiarity.

Yes, the DR stacks, I just forgot to put that wording in. And though I'm not familiar with the Beserker Strength class option, I don't see how 1 more point of DR will upset anything in the long run. (Unless that's where the Beserker Strength facet comes in.)

And apparently the (expedience) feature is breaking the whole build, so I'll be changing that up.

Falconsflight
2007-09-09, 03:36 AM
My only problem is dipness, and the intimidating charge.

The problem with intimidating charge, is both the staticnyess feel (It'll stay at one Dc for a while - Even wizards improve +1 to their DC's every level)
And secondly: It uses the Charisma modifier. I understand why they would, but if a 6 armed freak can't intimidate one villager because his cha is 8, then things are wrong. Make it Half the damage, or Dc 10+Juggernaut level +str bonus. No, Half damage would be better. Since you do the demoralizing later - It would make more sense. You are ont eh opppsing side. A large man runs up and just cuts your freind in half. You are demoralized.
as opposed to A large man runs up and cuts your freind in half... He doesn't exude scariness, so why not keep on fighting.

FireSpark
2007-09-09, 07:59 AM
My only problem is dipness, and the intimidating charge.

The problem with intimidating charge, is both the staticnyess feel (It'll stay at one Dc for a while - Even wizards improve +1 to their DC's every level)

Actually, casters only increase their DCs when they boost their relative attribute (same with the intimidating charge) or when they nab a feat or two. I suppose I could craft a feat just for the class, but could be a little cheesy. Maybe I could come with one that generally makes one more intimidating. Hmmmm.

And secondly: It uses the Charisma modifier. I understand why they would, but if a 6 armed freak can't intimidate one villager because his cha is 8, then things are wrong. Make it Half the damage, or Dc 10+Juggernaut level +str bonus. No, Half damage would be better. Since you do the demoralizing later - It would make more sense. You are ont eh opppsing side. A large man runs up and just cuts your freind in half. You are demoralized.
as opposed to A large man runs up and cuts your freind in half... He doesn't exude scariness, so why not keep on fighting.

I had considered that, but without actual playtesting (which will happen at some point, eventually) I didn't feel confident in making strength the applicable stat.

Here's why.
Strength is already going to the main focus (if not the only one) of characters coming into the juggernaut class. So that would make it awfully high to begin with. Second, massive frame allows a medium creature to wield large weapons (and large / huge), which means that human wielding a large great sword would be throwing an average damage of 11-12 + Str. So again, the DC could soar horribly out of control. (Not to mention, I personally find DCs that I have to recalculate every time I use the skill to be slightly, annoying.) Finally, I feel that I compensated somewhat for the anticipatingly low charisma scores with the 10 + class levels. This means that when you finally get to Terrifying charge, the DC is affecting targets as if it were a 10th level spell. If you're Charisma is still so low that it's dragging you're DC so far down as to be useless, then go out and grab a tome or a cloak or something. Heck, even an ioun stone would probably be enough to get that edge back.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-09, 08:52 PM
This guy is a MONSTER. A juggernaut would make an awesome party front-liner, or villain (or right-hand man, or whatever). I love it, but I have a couple things I'd like to bring up.

Mental Fortitude - I totally understand where you're coming from here, but I think that it doesn't fit. Also, removing this gives him a weakness; imagine if your juggernaut charges into the thick of the fight, and suddenly he's charmed and he's charging back the other way and ripping apart your team! Removing this (or maybe just weakening it a bit) would make the class more balanced.

I agree that it's "dippage rate" is high, but I see no problem with this. It's your class, and if someone wants to dip into it and go elsewhere, that's fine.

The charge abilities and the fact that all of it's abilities DON'T work outside heavy armor are very unique and cool. I love the charges, and I would have said they were overpowered until I remembered that usually you only charge once or twice over the course of a fight.

This class still needs some tinkering with, but you've got an awesome PrC on your hands. :smallsmile:

merge
2007-09-10, 12:41 AM
Just a typo, I think:
As it is, this says that terrifying charge replaces inspiring presence. I'm pretty sure you mean that it replaces intimidating charge; otherwise I don't see how it makes sense.

FireSpark
2007-09-10, 03:02 PM
Just a typo, I think:
As it is, this says that terrifying charge replaces inspiring presence. I'm pretty sure you mean that it replaces intimidating charge; otherwise I don't see how it makes sense.

Curse of the damnable typos. Blarg!

Roderick_BR
2007-09-11, 08:41 AM
I agree that you shouldn't give Massive Frame on first level, as it makes the class not only dippable, but broken.
My suggestion is to move it some levels, so people will want to stay in class to get it.
Mental Fortitude, while good (or too good) doesn't make sense, I agree. Slippery Mind would work better, as the Juggernalt may claim to have am always racing mind.
The armor familiarity is interesting as it is. I'd only change the last one to grant the bonuses when charging, so it doesn't get too powerful at higher levels.
The damage reduction should be shortened a bit (barbarians doesn't get so much, and the PrC Dwarven Defender is an expert in defense, while the Juggernalt is not), or tie it to work only when wearing armor (as if he were going to take it off.. heh)
Extended charge is interesting. You should add Run as an prerequisite to the class.
Unshakable: I don't see why he should be immunte to fear. Even others classes that still fear can be shaken themselves. Adding a +4 against fear would be enough.
Not sure about energy reserve. Looks fine thus far.
Devastating Charge: This is technically pounce. Seeing as barbarians can get it at a lower level with a level substitution, and this works only in charges, it's well balanced.
Steadfast Resolve: Not bad. I saw some variants here and there, and have limited uses. Good.
Inspiring Presence and Greater: Again, I don't see why he should be more confident in his skills than any other class. He doesn't seem the kind to lead others, but run first to beat the enemy.
Overwhelming Charge: This is basically a trampling attack. I love it :)
Intimidating and Terrifying Charge: Looks very good. My only suggestion is that you could split these into damage and fear effects, maybe in place of the inspiring ones.
Rejuvenation: It's a stronger version of energy reserve. I'm not sure. I'd suggest some other cap ability.

Btw, you should see the Legendary Dreadnought, a epic prestige class, similar in flavor: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/legendaryDreadnought.htm
Actually, I think yours is even better than the Dreadnough.

FireSpark
2007-09-11, 10:00 AM
I agree that you shouldn't give Massive Frame on first level, as it makes the class not only dippable, but broken.
My suggestion is to move it some levels, so people will want to stay in class to get it.

A decent suggestion. I shall consider it, and look over where else it might better fit.

Mental Fortitude, while good (or too good) doesn't make sense, I agree. Slippery Mind would work better, as the Juggernalt may claim to have am always racing mind.

Okay, obviously Mental Fortitude is being considered stronger than I thought it was. Since so many seem to agree that it is currently too much, I shall adjust this.

The armor familiarity is interesting as it is. I'd only change the last one to grant the bonuses when charging, so it doesn't get too powerful at higher levels.
The damage reduction should be shortened a bit (barbarians doesn't get so much, and the PrC Dwarven Defender is an expert in defense, while the Juggernalt is not), or tie it to work only when wearing armor (as if he were going to take it off.. heh)

Yeah, I had thought of that, and ifn fact already did so. It's addressed under the Weapon and Armor Proficiencies entry.

Extended charge is interesting. You should add Run as an prerequisite to the class.

Wow. Now why hadn't I thought of that?:smallconfused: *runs to go ponder*

Unshakable: I don't see why he should be immunte to fear. Even others classes that still fear can be shaken themselves. Adding a +4 against fear would be enough.

I felt that this added a whole lot of flavor to the class. That a juggernaut is a guy who laughs in the face of danger, and then invites it in for drink. He's gonna go charging at whatever enemies dare to face him.

Not sure about energy reserve. Looks fine thus far.[quote]

Okay.

[QUOTE=Roderick_BR;3175999]Devastating Charge: This is technically pounce. Seeing as barbarians can get it at a lower level with a level substitution, and this works only in charges, it's well balanced.

:smallbiggrin:

Steadfast Resolve: Not bad. I saw some variants here and there, and have limited uses. Good.

Inspiring Presence and Greater: Again, I don't see why he should be more confident in his skills than any other class. He doesn't seem the kind to lead others, but run first to beat the enemy.

I guess I would have to put some of thinking in writing to explain this. I see this guy, this juggernaut, as someone who is just wholly capable. The confidence in his skills is what others pick up on. His allies are inspired necessarily by his courage or leadership, but by his sheer ability. They want to be like him. His personality isn't waht makes him inspiring, it's what he does. It's what he is.

Overwhelming Charge: This is basically a trampling attack. I love it :)

You're welcome. I knod of liked it too. :smallsmile:

Intimidating and Terrifying Charge: Looks very good. My only suggestion is that you could split these into damage and fear effects, maybe in place of the inspiring ones.

Not sure I follow you on this one. Could you elaborate?

Rejuvenation: It's a stronger version of energy reserve. I'm not sure. I'd suggest some other cap ability.

Btw, you should see the Legendary Dreadnought, a epic prestige class, similar in flavor: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/legendaryDreadnought.htm
Actually, I think yours is even better than the Dreadnough.

Wait. There's already a class with the name Dreadnaught? Huh. Is that in the epic handbook?

Roderick_BR
2007-09-11, 12:42 PM
I meant that you could put the added damage in charges as two features, and the feat abilities in the other two. I still find weird how he can get the ability to be immune to fear, and even inspire others. Maybe it's just me.

Yes, the dreadnough is a PrC that you can get only in epic level. It's in the SRD. It's key features are, besides Damage Redution, the ability to, a few times a day, gain a huge bonus while charging (something like a +20 to strenght, 5/day at level 10).

Spiryt
2007-09-11, 01:35 PM
Well, I see that other's already said that, but this PrC is just too powerful.

Look at other warriors PrC from Complete Warrior for example - many had just dead levels. This guy has some ability on each level, and every singlr one is rahter powerful.
Full pounce with such bonuses, heavy armor with almost no cost, and fast healing - heal total 100 points of damage on 10th level?

Also, sorry, but extended rage has little sense even in D&D standards - he had some sick mass (armor + himself), and he can run faster beacuse of that:smallconfused:

I could of course understand if he just wasn't slowed down even a bit. But being actualy quickened?