PDA

View Full Version : The craziest item you've ever seen in a campaign.

Vaar'Raash
2018-06-09, 11:21 PM
So, I recently finished a session of my solo campaign with my DMPC side kick who is a homebrew offshoot of a monk, long story. At the end of said session I got an item at the bottom of the keep I earned through my deck of many things. The item was called the rod of ages, a weapon straight from league of legends; however with far more power. This rod only has one daily charge, but with it I can effect the flow of time on one creature or object, fast forward, reverse, or freeze (essentially trapping them until something damages them.)

The second effect is that I can view any time that ever has or ever will exist in the area I am standing. But the third effect is where it really shines: I am able to use the charge to travel in time forwards or backwards, but doing so causes the recharge to take a week.

So what crazy items have you seen in your campaigns?

CTurbo
2018-06-10, 06:06 AM
I had a player that played an Alchemist type character(potions wizard) and he "accidently" made a Potion of Immunity based on a series of amazing rolls and the Druid drank it right before going into an Adult Red dragon's lair. He waltzed right in and basically ignored the dragon as long as he could and then acted like the dragon was a mild annoyance when it started attacking. After a minute of pointless attacking, the confused dragon tried to grapple and eat the Druid, but wildshaping made that impossible. It was great fun. That dragon was PISSED lol

JackPhoenix
2018-06-10, 06:56 AM
"Book of Mysteries"
It's basically a spellbook containing all wizard spells, I don't have to copy them to my own spellbook to prepare them... oh, and when reading from the (granted, big and heavy, but not so much it's immobile) book, I can cast any of the spells in the book using my spell slots without having to prepare them.

Despite being the biggest optimiser and power gamer at the table, I've promised not to break the GM's campaign in half.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-10, 10:04 AM
The Bow of Wonder. I created this myself it's entirely my fault.
Basically take a bow and fuse it with a wand of wonder. And let it combine effects in a more versatile way. For instance, there's still a giant electric butterfly somewhere out in my world.
Or there's the Spectral Dice. You roll them, and they summon an animal based on what is rolled. The catch is that the animal is hostile to everything. The players where arrested several times. My favorite was still when they summoned a swarm of murderous hawks in the middle of town square.
The players, of course, gave the dice to the person who was exiled from his homeland for being a gambling addict.

jollydm
2018-06-10, 02:18 PM
Not a homebrew item, but the DM gave me a Vorpal Sword and it was pretty fun to see the look on his face when in the first round of combat against a shadow dragon I rolled a 20 and chopped its head off.

Arvin Natsuko
2018-06-10, 02:49 PM
Bag of Holding.

Carrying around a pocket dimension. Very crazy.

Trask
2018-06-11, 03:07 AM
The Bow of Wonder. I created this myself it's entirely my fault.
Basically take a bow and fuse it with a wand of wonder. And let it combine effects in a more versatile way. For instance, there's still a giant electric butterfly somewhere out in my world.
Or there's the Spectral Dice. You roll them, and they summon an animal based on what is rolled. The catch is that the animal is hostile to everything. The players where arrested several times. My favorite was still when they summoned a swarm of murderous hawks in the middle of town square.
The players, of course, gave the dice to the person who was exiled from his homeland for being a gambling addict.

I had a similar item, a jade scimitar that produced a wild magic like effect off of a cutstom table. Needless to say my next level was in wild magic sorcerer for double trouble.

Tubben
2018-06-11, 06:32 AM
Cursed Belt of Gender Change (Giant Strength).

Our Barbarian named Varg took the belt without asking, equipped it. Next morning we called him Vargina.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-11, 11:11 AM
So, I recently finished a session of my solo campaign with my DMPC side kick who is a homebrew offshoot of a monk, long story. At the end of said session I got an item at the bottom of the keep I earned through my deck of many things. The item was called the rod of ages, a weapon straight from league of legends; however with far more power. This rod only has one daily charge, but with it I can effect the flow of time on one creature or object, fast forward, reverse, or freeze (essentially trapping them until something damages them.)

The second effect is that I can view any time that ever has or ever will exist in the area I am standing. But the third effect is where it really shines: I am able to use the charge to travel in time forwards or backwards, but doing so causes the recharge to take a week.

So what crazy items have you seen in your campaigns?

i have had good dms so i have never ended up with a crazy item. we have gotten some strong items thought. I got a spear for my paladin that as a bonus action lets me activate an ability that deal 20 extra necrotic damage when i hit a target. it also deal 20 damage to me that i can not reduce in any why. i have killed my self more times with the spear then i can count.

UrielAwakened
2018-06-11, 11:23 AM
I gave my players the Anysword in 4e.

It was a +6 sword that you could give any enchantment with a free action once per turn.

My player made a list of every useful weapon enchantment in 4e and used them liberally. Did you know there was a weapon that shut off auras? He did.

He ended up using it over the +7 weapon I gave him and the rest of the party at the game's conclusion.

ImproperJustice
2018-06-11, 12:13 PM
“The Pink Fuzzy Bunny Suit of Invulnerability”.

Name pretty much describes it all.
The only drawback is the loss of all credibility, and that it cannot be removed once it has been put on.

The owner also begins to accumulate 1d4 bunnies per day which follow the PC and tend to nibble on his other belongings. The bunnies do not respond to commands of any kind, and if killed, a small tear appears in the bunny suit.

No brains
2018-06-11, 12:22 PM
“The Pink Fuzzy Bunny Suit of Invulnerability”.

Name pretty much describes it all.
The only drawback is the loss of all credibility, and that it cannot be removed once it has been put on.

The owner also begins to accumulate 1d4 bunnies per day which follow the PC and tend to nibble on his other belongings. The bunnies do not respond to commands of any kind, and if killed, a small tear appears in the bunny suit.

Is that a tear as in a rip or a tear as if one were saying RIP?

I once wanted to make a Sirine NPC, but when I learned they weren't amphibious, my solution was to make a scarf that continuously cast Create Water. It was a very slippery reverse scuba tank.

jaappleton
2018-06-11, 12:26 PM
I have never seen it used, personally.

But I heard legend of a ring that allows you to change one letter in a spell, once per day, and the ring will cause a corresponding effect to the best of its ability.

Shatter
Replace 'a' with 'i'...

Moonbeam
Moonbear

Bless
Bliss

Legimus
2018-06-12, 03:28 PM
"Potion of Beard Berries"
We're doing a lot of errand-running for gods in our current campaign, and this was a reward to our hill dwarf druid, who liked to keep various plants in his beard. After he drank it, his beard became an actual green bush that grows different colored berries. Not satisfied with making him look ridiculous, though, our DM has given each of the berries a different effect when eaten. And eating different berries doesn't combine their effects, it actually creates something new. We haven't tested all of the color combinations yet, though. We've run into more than one that is...unpleasant.

Red: Cure you of poison and recover some health based on your hit dice. But you vomit a bunch of blood first and feel terrible for about 10 minutes.
Yellow: +2 to all Charisma checks for an hour.
Green: You gain some movement speed (forget how much) for an hour.
Blue: You can see magical effects for a few minutes, like casting detect magic.
Purple: Resistance to a random damage type for an hour.

Edit: spelling

ErHo
2018-06-12, 03:32 PM
"Vargina" FTW!