PDA

View Full Version : Building a Faustian Bargain-Maker Character

Mercurias
2018-06-10, 07:34 AM
When I say “Faustian Bargain” in this sense, what I mean is this character is the one holding the contract and offering a pen. S/he is a trickster, a charmer, and a snake whose main skills lay in the manipulation of others.

I initially thought to go full “Pleased to meet you, won’t you guess my name?” with a Tiefling Warlock, but I’m considering at this point moving on to a half-elf Bard.

What sort of spells work for a character like this? Are there any sort of magic items I should keep an eye out for?

Doorhandle
2018-06-10, 08:11 AM
When I say “Faustian Bargain” in this sense, what I mean is this character is the one holding the contract and offering a pen. S/he is a trickster, a charmer, and a snake whose main skills lay in the manipulation of others.

I initially thought to go full “Pleased to meet you, won’t you guess my name?” with a Tiefling Warlock, but I’m considering at this point moving on to a half-elf Bard.

What sort of spells work for a character like this? Are there any sort of magic items I should keep an eye out for?

Off the top of my head: Charm spells to prevent being instantly attacked, telepathy/read thoughts to figure out what the client would sell their soul for, trap the souls to, well, keep their soul wish, fabricate, or similar spells to fulfill the contract, and teleportation/invisibility to escape when things get tough. Season to taste/current character level.

Marvelous pigments sound like a fitting item (https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/marvelous-pigments.html)...not that you need them to write up the contract