PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Oath for a moonblade

Metamorph
2018-06-10, 09:11 AM
Hello all,

as it seems I could need help again.

One of my players got a broken moonblade as a starting item as a legacy from his mother.

The group just got everything togehter to repair the blade and "wake it up" again.

Due to the fact that this is an important item to all of elvenkind many lords have gathered to help to activate this sword again.

My only problem right now is to come up with an oath that my player has to do in front of those lords.

What I have so far are just some brain storming ideas like:

- Upholding elven ideals
- Protection of elves at all costs (no matter what kind of elf)
- Has to help all elves no matter what kind of help is needed

Has anyone ideas for more things he has to do? Or even how to put this in sentences that it also sounds nice?

(If there are faults in this text: I am sorry, its not my mother tongue.)

I am looking forward to your ideas!

Kind regards,
Metamorph

Sariel Vailo
2018-06-11, 08:09 AM
Welllll it depends what kind of elf you arent helping drow and shadar kai right. Unless its a moonblade by elliastrae than turn the evil of your kin can be another one.

Armored Walrus
2018-06-11, 10:15 AM
- Protection of elves at all costs (no matter what kind of elf)
- Has to help all elves no matter what kind of help is needed

"At all costs" and "no matter what" are some pretty strong oaths. So if he's about to leave on a quest to slay a dragon that's threatening to destroy a village full of halflings, but the only NPC elf in this town decides not to stick around and needs someone to guard his wagon full of furniture for him instead of slaying a dragon, the PC has to go do that or be an oathbreaker?

What if a Drow wants the PC to kill a High Elf? I'd loosen that language up quite a bit.

"Uphold elven ideals" is perfect oath language, in my opinion. Presumably you have some ideas of who owned this moonblade in the past? What was that family's ideals, personality, history? Who were the past elven heroes that wielded the blade and added to its story?

jaappleton
2018-06-11, 10:19 AM
I'd simply modify the Oath of the Ancients to be less 'nature-y' and a little more inclined to the Fey side of things. There is a fine line between the two, after all.

In fact, smash the Archfey Patron and the OotA together. Change the restraining channel divinity to be the Charm or Frighten feature of the Archfey, replace the Ancients bonus spell list with the Archfey list, and you... honestly should be good to go, really.

EvilAnagram
2018-06-11, 10:51 AM
Lean into the moon?

Selune, goddess of the moon, is one of the classic elven deities, so an oath dedicating the wielder to her would make sense. You know, lean in to the moon aspect.

May my eyes see the dangers in the night
May my blade be a light in the darkness
May my arm strike swift as the night wind
May my death bring safety to The People