PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Learning Spells Seen?

Alistaroc
2018-06-10, 02:58 PM
So I know you can use Spellcraft to identify a spell being cast, but is there a way to add it to spells known, or otherwise learn it?
I think it'd be a really cool character concept for a mage that can duplicate anything they see enough times, but I have no clue if it's possible.
As for possible, I consider possible as anything first or established third party, Spheres, Akasha, etc. Sources aren't really a concern.

SangoProduction
2018-06-10, 03:11 PM
So I know you can use Spellcraft to identify a spell being cast, but is there a way to add it to spells known, or otherwise learn it?
I think it'd be a really cool character concept for a mage that can duplicate anything they see enough times, but I have no clue if it's possible.
As for possible, I consider possible as anything first or established third party, Spheres, Akasha, etc. Sources aren't really a concern.

Yes. The arcanophage does this exactly.

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/arcanophage

In fact, he's so good at mimicry, that you'd think it were the horribly disappointing Spellthief in 3.5...if you only went by the name.

Rynjin
2018-06-11, 02:19 AM
Not quite the same, but the Amnesiac (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/psychic/archetypes/paizo-llc-psychic-archetypes/amnesiac-psychic-archetype/)archetype for the Psychic class can "remember" spells they forgot in the past. You could fluff this as mimicking under certain circumstances.

Psyren
2018-06-11, 04:00 AM
3.5 has a caster class called the Sha'ir that learns spells this way that would be easy to port to Pathfinder. The class was actually made by Paizo for Dragon Magazine (Compendium). While the spells ultimately come from the sorcerer/wizard list, you could still make a "Blue Mage" who picks up spells by seeing them cast.

Melcar
2018-06-11, 09:37 AM
The spell Alamanther's Return let's you cast a spell you have just seen, but it does not let you learn it permanently!

EDIT: Did not notice it was for PF... :smallredface:

Alistaroc
2018-06-11, 12:13 PM
Yes. The arcanophage does this exactly.

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/arcanophage

In fact, he's so good at mimicry, that you'd think it were the horribly disappointing Spellthief in 3.5...if you only went by the name.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Can't believe I missed it :smallannoyed:
Thank you so much!

Alistaroc
2018-06-11, 12:22 PM
3.5 has a caster class called the Sha'ir that learns spells this way that would be easy to port to Pathfinder. The class was actually made by Paizo for Dragon Magazine (Compendium). While the spells ultimately come from the sorcerer/wizard list, you could still make a "Blue Mage" who picks up spells by seeing them cast.

The spell Alamanther's Return let's you cast a spell you have just seen, but it does not let you learn it permanently!

EDIT: Did not notice it was for PF... :smallredface:

Yeah, 3.5 had enough material anything was possible haha
Sticking to Pathfinder material nowadays though.

SangoProduction
2018-06-11, 03:06 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for! Can't believe I missed it :smallannoyed:
Thank you so much!

It was only released relatively recently with the new wild magic books.