PDA

View Full Version : A way to recontextualize the sorcerer and wizard.

SangoProduction
2018-06-10, 09:34 PM
The sorcerer is the expert in a small field of study, and intimately knows the things he specialized in. He has internalized the motto "Don't do it until you succeed. Do it until you can't fail."

The wizard is the college student who cram studies for a test, and remembers nothing afterwards.

Duke of Urrel
2018-06-10, 09:39 PM
I have always thought of sorcerers as jazz musicians and of wizards as classical musicians.

Uncle Pine
2018-06-11, 01:03 AM
A wizard is versatile in the sheets, but very by the book in the streets. (Lots of spells known, prepared spellcaster)
A sorcerer is straightforward in the sheets, but versatile in the streets. (Few spells known, spontaneous spellcaster)

Wizards are closet pervert office workers, sorcerers are simple people graduated to university of life.

Lapak
2018-06-11, 11:19 AM
Sorcerers are character actors. Whenever the casting call goes out and it says something like 'cranky old Jewish man from New York,' there's an 80% chance this guy is going to land the part. His actual role can vary to a surprising degree - angry father-in-law, mentor figure with a heart of gold, the murderer revealed in a 3rd act twist - but the core components of his character don't change. You know what you're getting with 100% reliability when you hire them.

Wizards are extreme Method actors. They'll apply for any role, the more challenging the better, but they will drive everybody in the production up the wall with their elaborate preparation for the role and the warm-up exercises they do before going on each time to 'get into the right mindset.' A good one is an invaluable resource and you will genuinely believe that they are an immortal being that somehow got trapped in human form for the sake of an action-comedy's plot, but working with them requires a lot of patience.

lylsyly
2018-06-11, 01:45 PM
I don't remember where I read this but I have always liked it.

"A wizard spends all of his time learning how to bend the universe to his will. Meanwhile, the sorcerer just looks at the universe and winks." ;D