PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help choosing which story to use.

Vendarien
2018-06-10, 09:51 PM
I have a large amount of history written for my world, and can sometimes be very indecisive. I am about to be DMing a new session and have a few story lines fleshed out, but because of my indecision cant choose which one to use. I will present the plot hook below and would just like some feedback on peoples favorites to help me decide. Your reasoning can be as arbitrary as you like, I just hate to choose. Also if you have in CC feel free to lay it on me. More detail upon request.

1.) Medieval Europe was pushing into the resource rich Fey wilds. Different agreements where struck with most native tribes to keep them off the new colonies backs. A few months ago, previously unknown tribes have begun to attack. Their refusal to negotiate and a rising body count has led to many colonies fleeing back to their own cities. With the colonies out of the way the Fey tribes have been looting trade ships that travel the river that acts as a border between their lands, effectively cutting off trade to the Human cities. combined with the large number of refugees the northern cities are beginning to starve. The players would be starting out working as low level protection for a rich merchant who is one of the last to decide to leave the Fey wilds, and first to start scheming on ways to make a buck off the severely inflating food prices. This story deals with what caused the attacks, reestablishing shipping routes to the cities, and potential military action against the Fey, or even joining the Fey if they are so inclined.

2.) The Norse have been governed by the children of their gods for hundreds of years. These demigods helped them conquer the frozen lands they now call home, and act as their link to the afterlife performing many of their burial rituals to ensure the proper resting place for the dead. This did not last long though. As the land became tamer and living became easier the demigods continued to demand their dues, but where required to provide their protection less, and less. The children of gods now feast in palaces built by the under folk, on food grown and gathered by them, but have not had to lift a hand to protect their people in more than 100 years. As the under folk stopped their shipments and services to the demigods, most of them realizing the reason have attempted to negotiate with their thralls. Other demigods took this as a great insult and made an example of a few towns. this has sparked off a massive civil war. One side fights by their rightful gods, while the others fight to depose them, and yet more haven chosen to flee their homelands for the wild coasts of the southern continents. The party will start at a mid to high level as Norse who are under equipped, and whose god child has leveled a village and is under attack. they must choose what side they will be on.

3.) The southern deserts of Sypresur have been inhabited by lizard folk for as long as anyone can remember. Loose tribes of Lizard folk have in the last hundred years ceased their endless wars over religion and land, discovering the massive amounts of precious metals their lands provide. Great cities have begun to pop up almost overnight, and the coasts have become some of the richest ports in the world. Other races have taken advantage of the small spread out countries of the lizard folk to seize parts of the coast as their own. In the east a war still rages as a small country refuses to cooperate with those whose gods are a lie. As the 5 surrounding nations close in on them their god saves them, burying the armies of their enemies. This miraculous occurrence brings many converts to them, as they sweep across the continent. Learning of the infestation of outlander on the coast they send out their fleet to sink the outlander ships and try to drive them into the ocean with no means of escape. Some kinder nation takes in the refuges and try to help them escape back to their homes while gods chosen army begins its assault on their naturally protected boarders. The party will start here as low level but well-equipped mercenaries of a now dead merchant, who must now find a way to escape this continent and avoid the wrath of gods chosen, and even rescue others if they wish

4.) Their god dies, while killing the ruler of hell. In his death he gives his powers to the worthiest of mortals. The death of the Devil god has had similar effects, and as his power seeps across the land demons begin to walk the earth and famine ravages the land. It now falls on those who have inherited gods power to unite, and learn their new abilities, in hopes that they can once again separate the circles of hell from the mortal realms. But are all who wield power truly of god or do some harness their gifts from the fallen demon. The party will start as a small detachment of soldiers mid level decently equipped who have been sent to a small town where there is supposedly one of gods chosen. They must ensure her safe arrival to the church for training. This campaign will involve the uncertainty of magics true purpose now that it has appeared in the world, and what it is truly capable of as the party protects a supposed savior from demons, and even her own people who believe she may be the cause of their troubles.

JoeJ
2018-06-10, 10:43 PM
The opinions of people on an internet forum don't really matter. The real question is, which of these would your players prefer? Give them this synopsis and ask what they think.

Cespenar
2018-06-11, 03:54 AM
I agree that it's your players who should choose this thing. But just to criticize the synopses:

2 and 4 sound pretty fun, 1 sounds basic but its open world could end up being pretty fun as well, and 3 sounds a bit too convoluted for a synopsis.

I'd say either shelf 3 for the time being, or maybe rethink some parts of it.