PDA

View Full Version : Feats that use Dex for damage?

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 01:35 AM
Are there any general type feats that can be taken that use Dex instead of Str for damage? (nothing homebrew)

heavyfuel
2018-06-11, 01:37 AM
The Shadow Blade feat from Tome of Battle is probably the most common way to get Dex to damage

Venger
2018-06-11, 01:39 AM
deadeye will do it too in certain circumstances. more resources here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus)

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 01:50 AM
How exactly do you go about getting the Shadow Blade feat?

It's for my wife's Druid's animal companion, which is a Celestial Lemur (and gets the 3 Int).
It works off being a Monkey as a base animal. It has Weapon Finesse to begin with.

heavyfuel
2018-06-11, 01:55 AM

It's for my wife's Druid's animal companion, which is a Celestial Lemur (and gets the 3 Int).
It works off being a Monkey as a base animal. It has Weapon Finesse to begin with.

It would need a Shadow Hand stance from Tome of Battle. Since an animal companion cannot get class levels, the only way AFAIK is to get the Martial Study feat, followed by the Martial Stance feat, followed by Shadow Blade.

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 02:03 AM
I'm not entirely sure how those work though.

Martial Study says to pick a discipline, I get the key skill, and then take a maneuver that I meet the requirements for. But what exactly are the requirements? Or can I just take anything from Shadow Hand that doesn't need any other stances/maneuvers?

Same for Martial Stance.

Nifft
2018-06-11, 02:08 AM

Shadow Hand: Dagger, sai, Siangham, short sword, spiked chain, unarmed strike. -- Key skill: Hide.

Those are the weapons that are compatible with Shadow Blade.

Does this lemur use any of those weapons?

Claw & bite are not the same as unarmed strike, of course.

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 02:09 AM
So, we'd have to take something like simple weapon proficiency as a feat (or whatever would let you use dagger or short sword)?

EDIT:

So, saying the lemur figures out what end of a dagger goes in the bad guy... how exactly do I figure out what maneuvers and stances I've got access to?

heavyfuel
2018-06-11, 02:14 AM
Shadow Hand: Dagger, sai, Siangham, short sword, spiked chain, unarmed strike.

I could swear natural weapons were part of the list... Oh well.

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 02:44 AM
So, assuming the lemur has an appropriate weapon for Shadow Hand discipline...

It could take Martial Study and learn Shadow Blade Technique.

Then could take Martial Stance to learn Island of Blades.

Then it could take the Shadow Blade feat and use Dex for damage when using the Island of Blades stance?

Nifft
2018-06-11, 02:52 AM
So, assuming the lemur has an appropriate weapon for Shadow Hand discipline...

It could take Martial Study and learn Shadow Blade Technique.

Then could take Martial Stance to learn Island of Blades.

Then it could take the Shadow Blade technique and use Dex for damage when using the Island of Blades stance? ... but only get Dex to damage on attacks with a Shadow Hand weapon, NOT with its natural attacks.

So it would not get a claw/claw/bite with Dex to damage by going this route, it would get a tiny dagger attack (or whatever weapon) with Dex to damage with iteratives if it has the BAB.

Honestly it'd be less hassle to research a custom Druid spell which lasts 24 hours and gives +4 damage to the little guy's natural attacks.

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 03:04 AM
But where's the fun in that? :p

Telonius
2018-06-11, 05:25 AM
I really hope the little guy's name is Furious George.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/3/31/Furiousgeorge2.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20100716035040

Andreaz
2018-06-11, 06:14 AM
Pathfinder has Deadly Agility
Requisite: Weapon Finesse
Effect: Finesse weapons may use dex for damage instead of str, which is uniform regardless of how the weapon is wielded.

(it really is that simple because, frankly, this kind of stuff could have been baseline)

Psyren
2018-06-11, 09:09 AM
Pathfinder has Deadly Agility
Requisite: Weapon Finesse
Effect: Finesse weapons may use dex for damage instead of str, which is uniform regardless of how the weapon is wielded.

(it really is that simple because, frankly, this kind of stuff could have been baseline)

FYI that feat is third party, though if you're able to use feats from PF in your 3.5 game it shouldn't matter quite as much (the whole thing would be third party at that point.)

Bronk
2018-06-11, 09:17 AM
Are there any general type feats that can be taken that use Dex instead of Str for damage? (nothing homebrew)

Why not just add dex as damage instead of to damage?

Since it's already a celestial animal, I'd suggest having the monkey take the Touch of Golden Ice feat from BoED. That'll add the possibility of dex damage to every hit.

Throw in a monk's belt for better iterative attacks: The number of attacks will gradually increase as the monkey gains HD from it's master's druid levels, and can add in it's regular bite as well at a -5 penalty (until it gets multiattack later on), meaning that even at level one it will have two attacks instead of one.

gorfnab
2018-06-11, 06:12 PM
So, we'd have to take something like simple weapon proficiency as a feat (or whatever would let you use dagger or short sword)?

Take a look at the Skillful weapon enhancement in Complete Arcane.

Hiro Quester
2018-06-11, 08:02 PM
Throw in a monk's belt for better iterative attacks: The number of attacks will gradually increase as the monkey gains HD from it's master's druid levels, and can add in it's regular bite as well at a -5 penalty (until it gets multiattack later on), meaning that even at level one it will have two attacks instead of one.

An animal companion (or anyone) don't get iterative attacks for higher BAB with natural weapons.

Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons

Venger
2018-06-11, 08:05 PM
monk's belt grants ius. you will get iterative attacks with your unarmed strike, which will function as your primary weapon, and then you will make secondary natural attacks with your natural weapons. this and other relevant things are explained in urpriest's monster handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?207928-Urpriest-s-Monstrous-Monster-Handbook)

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 08:32 PM
monk's belt grants ius. you will get iterative attacks with your unarmed strike, which will function as your primary weapon, and then you will make secondary natural attacks with your natural weapons. this and other relevant things are explained in urpriest's monster handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?207928-Urpriest-s-Monstrous-Monster-Handbook)
I thought Monk's Belt just gave you the unarmed damage of a 5th level Monk. But not the actual Improved Unarmed Strike feat. So your fists just hurt more, but you still count as attacking unarmed and all.

Venger
2018-06-11, 08:52 PM
I thought Monk's Belt just gave you the unarmed damage of a 5th level Monk. But not the actual Improved Unarmed Strike feat. So your fists just hurt more, but you still count as attacking unarmed and all.

Well, a monk of 5th level has ius, so I would assume you gain it, since you gain unarmed attacks at a 5th lvl monk.

LordBlade
2018-06-11, 09:23 PM
Well, a monk of 5th level has ius, so I would assume you gain it, since you gain unarmed attacks at a 5th lvl monk.
I wouldn't think so, because it just says you gain the AC and unarmed damage of a monk, and that the AC works like a monk's for that level. So I read to mean you get the 1D8 unarmed damage of a L5 Monk, and the +1 + Wis AC bonus while unarmored and unencumbered.

Efrate
2018-06-12, 06:12 AM
Just have monkey take ius then, it's a feat. It's worth for a significant increase in dpr adding multiple attacks, and it's a shadowhand weapon, and it opens up snap kick. You can get shadow hand rings for maneuvers to open up martial stance as well.