PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 1 level = . . . how many feats ?

nonsi
2018-06-11, 08:22 AM

Suppose a character was in a bad need of feat slots, and suppose the option was on the table . . .

In a world closer to ideal than the official 3.5e, where characters gain roughly similar benefits from levelling, how many feats should someone gain for trading a character level and everything that goes along with it (HD, hp, BAB, base saves, skill points, ability increase, etc.) ?

Also, once in how many levels should such swap be allowed, for the sake of avoiding feat-overflow?

Spore
2018-06-11, 08:26 AM
Depends on the "quality" of level. A level of wizard pushing spell access from 7th to 8th level is entirely different than a Rogue level pushing Sneak attack dice to 3d6. But you can't assign that because for all you know that wizard could take a level in commoner.

Personally I'd say make a "tiered" response. 1-5 1 feat. 6-10 1 feat, 1 trait without the drawback 11-15 2 feats, 16-20 3 feats.

noob
2018-06-11, 08:38 AM
Depends on the "quality" of level. A level of wizard pushing spell access from 7th to 8th level is entirely different than a Rogue level pushing Sneak attack dice to 3d6. But you can't assign that because for all you know that wizard could take a level in commoner.

Personally I'd say make a "tiered" response. 1-5 1 feat. 6-10 1 feat, 1 trait without the drawback 11-15 2 feats, 16-20 3 feats.

Still the first levels are worth way more than one feat piece for the simple reason most stuff gets absurdly dangerous if you have 4 hd instead of 5 and that you are supposed to face threats for 5 hd adventurers.

Lalliman
2018-06-11, 10:17 AM
I agree with Sporeeg's approach of increasing the payout with level, but it should definitely start at 3 feats. Fighters get bonus feats every other level in addition to their HP, BAB, saves and skill points, so if you get only one feat for a level, there'd be no reason not to dip fighter instead. (Unless you expect to reach 20th level and still want to put all your levels in another class, I guess. But that's an edge case.)

jqavins
2018-06-11, 03:41 PM
I'd say keep it simple at either two per or three per level (I guess three, since you're giving up a lot). If that's less attractive at higher levels then it means your initial proposition, that the need for feat slots is greater than the need for all the other stuff that a level brings, has become less the case. So players of characters at higher level won't use the option as much, and that's fine.

nonsi
2018-06-11, 03:47 PM
I'd say keep it simple at either two per or three per level (I guess three, since you're giving up a lot). If that's less attractive at higher levels then it means your initial proposition, that the need for feat slots is greater than the need for all the other stuff that a level brings, has become less the case. So players of characters at higher level won't use the option as much, and that's fine.

3 it is then :smallamused: