PDA

View Full Version : Fish or cut bait time soon

ZorroGames
2018-06-11, 09:21 AM
Sometime this summer Burgell “Badger” Timber, Forest Gnome Fighter (EK) will have a decision or two.

After Wild Elves destroyed his village rather than flee with survivors he struck out to adventure.

ST 13 for starting Chainmail and Shield
DE 18 (was 16 at start)
CO 12
IN 16
WI 10
CH 8
+1 Short Sword, Rapier, Dagger, Light Crossbow, Chainmail and Shield.
Current spells: Minor illusion from Forest Gnome; Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, Shield, Magic Missile, Sleep,and newest is Protecion from Good and Evil.

1) Stay single class through 8th (currently 4th)
2) start Wizard MC after 5th or 6th with or without rebuild before 5th.
3) start Rogue MC (AT) after 5th or 6th with or without rebuild before 5th.

Originally the MC to Wizard was “the plan” but there are so many good options suggested by others, face to face and online, that I am opening up to this forum before I make a final decision at 5th.

Gracias.

Vogie
2018-06-11, 10:59 AM
It really depends on your core concept.

What are you after with Badger? Is Badger seeking/hunting something specific?

Are you normally Sword & Board? Dual Wielding? Ranged?

ZorroGames
2018-06-11, 12:39 PM
It really depends on your core concept.

What are you after with Badger? Is Badger seeking/hunting something specific?

Are you normally Sword & Board? Dual Wielding? Ranged?

Everybody keeps insisting I lead the party in dungeons, wilderness, etc., so they can shoot/cast over me! So sword and board by default so far. My own fault for saying, “Yes, I will be point...”. First time, that involved leading a large party up a stairwell in CoS. 🤪😳😱

That said, my preference was and is an armored ranged (Crossbow or spell) warrior. Next time I hear “... protect me, I am squishy...” I am tempted to accidentally shoot past their figure. “Oh, I thought you were being attacked.”

Okay, not going to do that. I think...

Just wanted to get away from the ongoing conflict between the Forest Gnomes and xenophobic Wild Elves. Before he started hating the Elves.

Background is Sage (Wizard Apprentice.)

Arcana, acrobatics, History and perception skills.

Vogie
2018-06-11, 04:12 PM
In that case I wouldn't go rogue - even AT will only give you a modicum of support, doubly so since it locks you into only 2 spell schools

I'd definitely go wizard for at least 2 levels. Since you're S&B, you can go either Abjuration Wizard or War Wizard to use the Arcane Ward or Arcane Deflection for combat purposes (preemptive or Reactionary), while still having the utility spellcasting and occasional blasting on the side. Personally, I'd lean towards War Wizard for the Initiative boost and ability to use Arcane deflection repeatedly - since you're a melee character, being only able to cast cantrips for a turn isn't that big of deal.

Another option is Divination wizard, to get pseudo-super-advantage via Portent.

After picking up 2 levels in Wizard, you'd likely want to pick up at least another 2 levels in EKF for War Magic. That'd allow you to do things like Shocking Grasp-> Attack in melee or Fire Bolt -> Fire Crossbow at ranged.