PDA

View Full Version : Good Class for Curse of Strahd?

Trum4n1208
2018-06-11, 03:41 PM
Howdy all,

A buddy of mine is running Curse of Strahd soon, and I've been debating which class to use for the adventure. I'm somewhat notorious for playing a Ranger, so I figure that class is out, and I've always preferred playing Martials over spell casters. Basically, I'm currently looking at either Battlemaster Fighter, Monk, or Bloodhunter, either Human or Variant Human. I don't need to play anything optimized, just looking for something that'll be solid and reliable whilst also working really well with that Gothic-Horror tone.

Not sure about the rest of the party composition yet, I suspect we're going to have at least one Rogue. We're still in the very early planning stages for the game.

Thanks all!

sophontteks
2018-06-11, 03:44 PM
It depends on what your party picks, but CoS has strong recommendations for a paladin or a cleric. Otherwise the most important thing is a well-rounded party.

Seekergeek
2018-06-11, 03:59 PM
I'm about to start the same module myself in the next month or so and after agonizing over the choice, I ended up settling on a variant human blood hunter with magic initiate: cleric for some radiant damage options and then the order of the profane soul as my order with the undying as my patron. My plan is to be, essentially, a Renfeild-esq thrall to another vampire lord who wants to take Strahd down for his own purposes. Looks like it will be a lot of fun on paper.

I've played the module in 2e and 3.x but haven't read a word of the 5e module or really any reviews since I want to go in as cold as possible. Over the course of discussion, a light cleric was heavily endorsed by jappleton in my advice-seeking thread.

SirGraystone
2018-06-12, 12:21 AM
If you play a paladin or cleric, pick a sun good like lathander or pelor, without spoiling the story it may be better for roleplay.

Ali_face
2018-06-12, 12:55 AM
Anything that can do radiant damage on demand will help you grind through the adventure quickly.

If you plan on going Monk, The Way of the Sun Soul is going to be REALLY effective in that campaign.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-12, 01:40 AM
Anything that can do radiant damage on demand will help you grind through the adventure quickly.

This right here. When our group played CoS, I chose a variant human Blood Hunter, Ghost Hunter archetype for its radiant damage, and I was glad I did.

jaappleton
2018-06-12, 06:39 AM
Zealot Barbarian

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-06-12, 06:54 AM
Paladin in this dungeon can't be beat. Two words DIVINE SMITE.

Backlash3906
2018-06-12, 07:21 AM
The Monster Hunter (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Fighter#Monster_Hunter) Fighter has it's own version of Superiority Dice, giving you a 7th level ability to add two instead of one, and versus undead, fiends, fey, or aberrations, those dice are maximized. You also get a 1/long rest casting of Protection from Evil and Good at 3rd level.

DaveOfTheDead
2018-06-12, 09:44 AM
My wife is playing a celestial warlock in our CoS game. Not only can she get Cure Wounds, Revivify, and others but she also gets a pool of d6s to use for healing (1+warlock level).

I'm playing a Sun Soul monk in a different game, but I agree with others that it would do fantastic here. Any paladin or cleric as well. A group of holy warriors would stomp CoS.

Sigreid
2018-06-12, 10:22 AM
Zealot barbarian could be amazing, especially if you have a paladin in the party to help with those mental saving throws.

jaappleton
2018-06-12, 10:45 AM
Zealot barbarian could be amazing, especially if you have a paladin in the party to help with those mental saving throws.

I'd love to see how far a Zealot Barb, a Devotion Paladin, and a Light Cleric get. Note that Light's CD, Radiance of the Dawn, is specifically stated to be Sunlight. Which is HUGE, since aside from a Sunblade, its the only thing capable of generating Sunlight before 5th level spells (Dawn from XGtE), or 6th level if you're restricted to the PHB (Sunbeam, which only Druids, Sorcs and Wizards get).

....probably pretty darn far, actually. They'd go far, wouldn't they?

GlenSmash!
2018-06-12, 10:54 AM
Zealot Barbarian

That's what I would role, but it's well known that I love Barbarians and Zealot is my favorite of the lot.

jaappleton
2018-06-12, 10:54 AM
That's what I would role, but it's well known that I love Barbarians and Zealot is my favorite of the lot.

Your username makes so much sense now :smallbiggrin:

GlenSmash!
2018-06-12, 10:58 AM
Your username makes so much sense now :smallbiggrin:

https://pics.me.me/im-a-simple-man-i-work-hard-i-play-hard-13998261.png

BlueHydra
2018-06-12, 10:59 AM
I played a bard who eventually got a spell that did radiant damage. It was fun and I survived Ravenloft.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-12, 11:02 AM
I played a bard who eventually got a spell that did radiant damage. It was fun and I survived Ravenloft.

It's easy for me to overlook a Bard's versatility.

I should learn to never overlook a Bard's versatility.

Trum4n1208
2018-06-12, 12:46 PM
Thanks all, appreciate the advice!

Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards either Sun Soul Monk or Ghost Hunter Blood Hunter, depending on the rest of the party makeup. I like the idea of a Monster Hunting Monk; I blame one of the in-game books from Skyrim about the Vampire Hunter who doesn't use weapons. And of course it's hard to beat out the flavor of a Blood Hunter/Witcher.

Zealot Barbarian was a good choice I hadn't considered. I've never played a Barbarian, and I can imagine that it would be fantastic in CoS.

jaappleton
2018-06-12, 12:56 PM
Here's the thing with CoS, ok? And it's slightly metagame-y, but its obvious when you think about it.

You're dealing with Vampires. That's really no secret.

But when you consider it, what's known about Vampires? They dislike Sunlight, that's a given. But when you think about it just a little more, you also know they can charm. They make Thralls.

So, being immune to Charms is a huge benefit. Enter a Devotion Paladin, who creates a 10' aura making themselves and everyone in the aura immune to such Charms.

Zealot can dish out at-will Radiant, where Paladins have to use Smite to do it.

Blood Hunter? Ok, Ghostslayer works really well. No doubt. You're also a glass cannon. So you may be able to dish it out, but you can't really take it. Also, very few defensive abilities. Very few. And things can hit pretty damn hard in CoS. I know the flavor is awesome, but... I'd pass on it. Otherwise you're liable to have the healer burn through their resources a bit faster than they should.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-12, 01:11 PM
Something to note, if you get a pick of a Rare weapon/item pick up a Sword of Wounding.

Its a bit underrated, but very good in most settings. Firstly it can be any sword, which is great for both dex and str builds. Second the Con save for stacking necro damage is really cool when it happens but not that big a deal if it doesn't. The most important thing here is that whenever you hit with the weapon the damage you deal can't be healed back by regen shenanigans. Lots of things have Regen and healing powers, Trolls for one are famous for it. Vampires are also famous for it.

Who needs radiant damage? when their wounds wont ever close.

tmjr6
2018-06-12, 01:55 PM
Zealot Barbarian

I'm playing a zealot barb right now in CoS in an AL game right now, it's been one of the best decisions I've made in a while playing. I plan on dipping into paladin after level 5 to add some smiting to my tanky goodness.

Trum4n1208
2018-06-12, 04:12 PM
Here's the thing with CoS, ok? And it's slightly metagame-y, but its obvious when you think about it.

You're dealing with Vampires. That's really no secret.

But when you consider it, what's known about Vampires? They dislike Sunlight, that's a given. But when you think about it just a little more, you also know they can charm. They make Thralls.

So, being immune to Charms is a huge benefit. Enter a Devotion Paladin, who creates a 10' aura making themselves and everyone in the aura immune to such Charms.

Zealot can dish out at-will Radiant, where Paladins have to use Smite to do it.

Blood Hunter? Ok, Ghostslayer works really well. No doubt. You're also a glass cannon. So you may be able to dish it out, but you can't really take it. Also, very few defensive abilities. Very few. And things can hit pretty damn hard in CoS. I know the flavor is awesome, but... I'd pass on it. Otherwise you're liable to have the healer burn through their resources a bit faster than they should.

I was originally not fond of the classic Paladin feel in a world as dark as Ravenloft, but I thought some more about it and I think I've got a character that I like. I'm picturing something like a Bulgarian sâbotnichav or vampirdzhiya. If someone else isn't planning on playing one then I think I'll play a good, yet somewhat depressed/cynical priest who's decided to take up the sword to protect the people of Barovia.

jaappleton
2018-06-12, 04:58 PM
I was originally not fond of the classic Paladin feel in a world as dark as Ravenloft, but I thought some more about it and I think I've got a character that I like. I'm picturing something like a Bulgarian sâbotnichav or vampirdzhiya. If someone else isn't planning on playing one then I think I'll play a good, yet somewhat depressed/cynical priest who's decided to take up the sword to protect the people of Barovia.

This may be a cardinal sin in some D&D circles, but... I forget his name. Who was the Paladin in the Baldur’s Gate titles that was good, but also pretty jaded?

Yes, he’d stand for justice and defend the innocent... But his home life sucked because he was always out smiting evil, his wife wanted affairs because he was just never around, he’d seen some seriously evil, twisted stuff in his time and he... He just knew that life wasn’t all hope and rainbows. Life sucks. And it sucks a lot.

But he still wakes up every day and fights evil. Because what the **** else is he supposed to do? Let ‘em win?

Be that Paladin XD

Tanngrisnr
2018-06-12, 09:40 PM
Keldorn. Damn good paladin. I always felt bad about breaking the old guy's family apart, so I always encouraged him to stay home and take his kids to the circus.

MeeposFire
2018-06-13, 05:46 PM
This may be a cardinal sin in some D&D circles, but... I forget his name. Who was the Paladin in the Baldur’s Gate titles that was good, but also pretty jaded?

Yes, he’d stand for justice and defend the innocent... But his home life sucked because he was always out smiting evil, his wife wanted affairs because he was just never around, he’d seen some seriously evil, twisted stuff in his time and he... He just knew that life wasn’t all hope and rainbows. Life sucks. And it sucks a lot.

But he still wakes up every day and fights evil. Because what the **** else is he supposed to do? Let ‘em win?

Be that Paladin XD

You are certainly talking about Keldorn though I would not call him jaded. He was all about being a paladin and that situation with his family finally showed him that he needed to prioritize his family more because they were going to leave him. Keldorn was happy but then realizes that while he may be happy his family was not and so he needed to make a change hence why you either let him leave right away or he declares that your quest is his last one and he will retire. Keldorn was not bored of being a paladin or too tired of it he needed to be shown that even if he is not too tired he needed to consider what is going on with his family.

Trum4n1208
2018-06-14, 09:31 AM
So right now, I'm going for V. Human Devotion Paladin with the Haunted One Background, and Magic Initiate (Cleric) as my feat. Picked Ceremony as my spell (largely for Roleplay reasons, and to make some holy water everyday), and Sacred Flame and Word of Radiance for my cantrips for that sweet Radiant damage. Plus, I like having a built in reason why a character's casting repertoire suddenly expands; in this case, I'm a guy who knows a little magic and gains more, rather than a guy with no magic who suddenly gains some out of nowhere.

Thanks all! This'll be my first Paladin and I'm rather excited to play him.

Seekergeek
2018-06-14, 09:48 AM
So right now, I'm going for V. Human Devotion Paladin with the Haunted One Background, and Magic Initiate (Cleric) as my feat. Picked Ceremony as my spell (largely for Roleplay reasons, and to make some holy water everyday), and Sacred Flame and Word of Radiance for my cantrips for that sweet Radiant damage. Plus, I like having a built in reason why a character's casting repertoire suddenly expands; in this case, I'm a guy who knows a little magic and gains more, rather than a guy with no magic who suddenly gains some out of nowhere.

Just a quick note that a paladin or a cleric can, by RAW, make holy water exactly the same way as the ceremony spell, which has always baffled me.

"A Cleric or Paladin may create holy water by performing a Special ritual. The ritual takes 1 hour to perform, uses 25 gp worth of powdered silver, and requires the caster to expend a 1st-level spell slot."

It may not prove worth the choice if the holy water was a big factor. Food for thought.

Trum4n1208
2018-06-14, 10:04 AM
Just a quick note that a paladin or a cleric can, by RAW, make holy water exactly the same way as the ceremony spell, which has always baffled me.

"A Cleric or Paladin may create holy water by performing a Special ritual. The ritual takes 1 hour to perform, uses 25 gp worth of powdered silver, and requires the caster to expend a 1st-level spell slot."

It may not prove worth the choice if the holy water was a big factor. Food for thought.

i'm aware, but like I said, the spell is 90% for role play reasons - it makes sense for a Priest/former Priest, in my mind. The feat is mostly for Radiant damage more than anything else. Ceremony is just icing on the Radiant cake.

Plus I also figure that sometimes we may sometimes be lacking in either time or powdered silver (especially in Ravenloft).

RickAsWritten
2018-06-14, 10:06 AM
Not exactly what you were looking for, but my group kept wishing we had a Druid in the party. There are a surprising amount of encounters and plot points that could have been solved by a Druid.

jaappleton
2018-06-14, 10:06 AM

One note on your Feat pick:

Its still a Cleric spell. Meaning Sacred Flame's DC is set by your Wisdom, not your Charisma. Its still a Cleric spell, it doesn't become a Paladin spell.

That, combined with the previous poster stating you can make Holy Water in other ways, you may want to change your selection. It can still totally work well, depending on your stats, but I just want you to have all the info available.

jaappleton
2018-06-14, 10:09 AM
Not exactly what you were looking for, but my group kept wishing we had a Druid in the party. There are a surprising amount of encounters and plot points that could have been solved by a Druid.

Druids work surprising well in Ravenloft, because there's something people do forget about Vampires.

When fighting one, everyone thinks 'radiant'. And that's normal.

They also hate water.

Enter the Maelstrom spell. It's a higher level spell, but man does it mess things up. Druids are also amazing explorers. Locked door, barred from the other side? Turn into a spider, go under the door, morph back and move the blockade. My only knock against the Druid is their spell list, its leans a bit too much toward battlefield control for my personal taste. Its a good list, just not my personal cup of tea.

Seekergeek
2018-06-14, 10:10 AM
i'm aware, but like I said, the spell is 90% for role play reasons - it makes sense for a Priest/former Priest, in my mind. The feat is mostly for Radiant damage more than anything else. Ceremony is just icing on the Radiant cake.

Plus I also figure that sometimes we may sometimes be lacking in either time or powdered silver (especially in Ravenloft).

Gotcha. The spell still requires the powdered silver and has the same casting time of 1 hour if I recall.

Trum4n1208
2018-06-14, 10:17 AM
Gotcha. The spell still requires the powdered silver and has the same casting time of 1 hour if I recall.

Oh shoot, you're totally right. My bad. Well, I might need to reassess that choice.

EDIT:
Okay, so I'm debating switching over to Heavy Armor Master now. We're using point buy, so I've re-distributed my points. Right now, I'm at:

STR: 15 (+2)
DEX: 10
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 10
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 14 (+2)

Heavy Armor Master will bump my Strength up to 16, and give me a little bit of damage reduction, which should help me take hits, especially at those early levels. Thoughts?