PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Hive Mind?

cartejos
2018-06-11, 05:39 PM
Some form of creature that has immense mental capabilities, but dwells in the depths of the world for its physical form is very frail. The thoughts and consciousness' of the beings under its control are known by the original creature as they happened as though they were happening to that creature itself. The entities under the creatures control don't share their experiences, but can have those experiences relayed instantaneously into their minds if the creature deems necessary.

When I think of a hive mind I think each creature has all knowledge and physical experiences that all of the others do, but I am also curious as to what this type of creature would bring about if made into a big bad of some sort of campaign

EDIT: No, not the one already present in the game, something similar to Empathic Bond with familiars, but a stronger connection on a larger scale.

Venger
2018-06-11, 05:57 PM
"hive mind" is a discrete rules term that means a bunch of vermin that get together in a big, gross pile and develop high mental stats and spellcasting. It is defined in book of vile darkness, and isn't necessarily related to what you're describing, a more colloquial use of the term "hive mind," such as in pod people or the matrix movies.

Karl Aegis
2018-06-11, 06:07 PM
If a swarm has a hive mind and an intelligence score it is vulnerable to mind-affecting effects. That's all a hive mind does. It makes a swarm vulnerable to mind-affecting abilities. At least in core 3.5e.

Your thing is closer to a powerful psionic creature as the things under control still have thoughts.

Knaight
2018-06-11, 06:16 PM
As game jargon: No.

As a descriptive term: It mostly depends on what exactly "under its control" means. There's definitely a sort of central brain structure, but it sounds like there's a decent degree of autonomy to the entities under control, given that they still have their own separate minds and aren't basically appendages of the central brain. That creates a grey area, given that the central brain with distributed senses attached to physically separate beings is pretty central, but so is the coordination of shared thought.

cartejos
2018-06-11, 06:50 PM
I wasn't inherently talking about the Hive Mind already present in the game and will edit the post to reflect this.

But to further the discussion, IS there a sort of ability present in the game that does similarly to what I've described? I'm looking to see what to call it and if it has special advantages to incorporate. I guess similar to the Empathic Link a Wizard has with its Familiar, but on a massive scale with a more intense connection.

Venger
2018-06-11, 07:03 PM
formians have a hive-mind like ability. if you want to apply this to other monsters, you could telepathic bond or brain spider them.